Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Halal Meat

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Halal Meat

Big fuss going around on having halal meat labelled because a lot people don't want to eat it. One of the restaurants that uses Halal meat without labelling is Pizza Express. The irony is that it's not even halal. Stunning prior to slaughter (which is how most of the animals are killed for halal purposes) is prohibited and not allowed by majority of the scholars.

However, I do think that halal meat should be labelled for those who don't want to eat it, but I have a few issues with this whole debate that is going on. Why is halal meat only being targeted, why not Kosher (which is exactly the same method). In addition, only vegan and vegetarians have the right to complain here since killing animals for meat is cruel whether you slaughter it or stun the meat. And what evidence is there that stunning is less cruel.

This is all just a ploy by these multinationals to cut their costs since halal is apparently cheaper.

Halal meat being eaten by millions without them knowing it | Mail Online

Halal meat: David Cameron refuses to back meat labelling just a month after promising halal is 'safe in Britain' - Home News - UK - The Independent
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 10-05-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't give a **** whether my meat is halal or not but where do you get off saying only vegetarians can complain? If you want to open a discussion then don't do so by preaching. Your post is transparent

That being said to me this is just a daily mail beat up. Does it actually matter?
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I only meant that the main reason for boycotting Halal is due to animal cruelty but killing an animal is cruel whatever method you use. I wasn't being preachy, I am not even a vegetarian.

By what metric are you measuring cruelty?

I am only posting what people are claiming in the media, i.e. slaughter is cruel and stunning isn't.

But a vegetarian could claim that killing an animal for meat is cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I am only posting what people are claiming in the media, i.e. slaughter is cruel and stunning isn't.
    Ahhh, so you were quoting others when you made a large sweeping statement backed up by precisely nothing? You'll have to highlight who it is you're referring to then, since neither of the articles you posted mention vegetarians, or that line of argument, at all.

Given your previous record with this sort of thing, I hope you'll pardon me for thinking that you were once again just up to your usual tricks.
    Shri likes this.

Well if you read a lot of the comments, people don't like Halal because they think slaughtering an animal is cruel.

The Truth About Halal Meat

This blog by peta says, "For anyone who’s concerned about animals raised and killed for food, there is only one label that really matters: “vegan”. Yes, people have a right to know what – or who – is in their food, but the simple solution to avoid mystery-meat scandals is to eat plant-based meals, which are kinder to animals and open to all faiths. And it’s so easy to eat with a clear conscience."

So clearly a vegan or vegetarian might consider killing an animal for meat as cruel.

The blog also considers slaughter as more cruel than stunning:

"Don’t get us wrong, as long as animals are still killed for food, stopping the most inhumane slaughter methods – in which cows and other animals have their throats cut while they’re still conscious – would be a step in the right direction, but even in conventional abattoirs, millions of animals are improperly stunned in the UK every year and face the fatal incision awake, alert and terrified."

I only used those particular articles because the debate is on labelling meat. But surely there must be the opinion that slaughter is inhumane if Denmark has banned it.

And what tricks?

It's a complete non issue; it's just a Daily Mail "Look, there's Muslims EVERYWHERE" nonsense story.

Anyone with any business sense who owns a food business in an area with a reasonable Muslim population will serve Halal meat. The Baguette Express at the top of my street uses Halal meat and I'm pretty sure my local KFC does so as well.

No interest in adding anything to the moral debate here but did want to just add this.......

Years ago I was dossing down at my Brothers place who was working as a chauffeur for the Sultan of Brunei's brother, Prince Jefri at the time. He used to bring home unlimited Halal Eye Fillet steak.........best ****ing steak I have ever eaten by a long way.

I reckon they know what they are doing with their meat itbt.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    By what metric are you measuring cruelty?
    Having to read the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    No interest in adding anything to the moral debate here but did want to just add this.......

Years ago I was dossing down at my Brothers place who was working as a chauffeur for the Sultan of Brunei's brother, Prince Jefri at the time. He used to bring home unlimited Halal Eye Fillet steak.........best ****ing steak I have ever eaten by a long way.

I reckon they know what they are doing with their meat itbt.
    Jefri had a boat named "Tits" with tenders called "Nipple 1" and "Nipple 2"

Bet your brother could tell some good stories

Is there any difference in the flavour between halal and mainstream (sorry but couldn't think of a better way of saying it) meat? What's the big ****ing fuss about then?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Bet your brother could tell some good stories
    Unbelieveable **** they used to get up to!! He only worked for them for a couple of years, lost his job when Jefri got put under house arrest for embezzlement, but for that couple of years it was a gravy train.........they were very generous.

My Brother shouted me, my missus and our Mum a trip to Florida off a cash tip he received for smuggling a male prostitute into the London residence for one of the female family members. He didn't want to do it as he knew he'd lose his job if he got caught, but she was insistent and in the end had little choice but to do it......next day she handed him an envelope with 20,000 in cash in it!!

He also reckoned that back in Brunei Jefri used to send a private plane off everyday to wherever was the closest McDonalds and bring him back burgers. Eventually Jefri got his own McDonalds built in Brunei but for whatever reason reckoned the burgers weren't as good so continued to send his plane off daily.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Is there any difference in the flavour between halal and mainstream (sorry but couldn't think of a better way of saying it) meat? What's the big ****ing fuss about then?
    Halal killing involves getting rid of as much blood as possible iirc so it would be drier than the equivalent non-halal cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Non issue. The animal is still ****ing dead no matter what was done to it. Eat it and **** off and stop thinking about how it ****ing died.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information