Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Race Related

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Race Related

Now a friend of mine recently said that since my family does not speak Pushto and because my ancestors migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan around 300 years ago, we are not Pushtoons (this is what I identify myself as). This has been really been bugging me ever since because my identity is being questioned.

So how long does it take in a different geographical region for ethnicity to change. Does losing your language also change your ethnicity and what is more important, language and culture or DNA to determine your race.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 05-04-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Daemon doesn't speak Martian and we don't accept him as an earthling either. Maybe you should both get a beer.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Meh.

It's one's upbringing that forms one.

Most of us in the UK are complete mutts, genetically speaking. I myself have Irish and, more distantly, Jewish forbears, but have never thought of myself as anything other than English and would be pissed off in the extreme if some **** said having a grandfather from Ennis made me otherwise.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    If you still speak, eat, wear, celebrate, etc parts of a culture that were in your family line then yeah I'd say you can still identify yourselves with them...somewhat.

For all practical purposes though I think one should only look back furthest to your grandparents. Where and how you were brought up would have to be the most important factors for sure.

International Debutant
    Can't really see how your ancestry can be disappeared on the account of what someone says.
    KiWiNiNjA, andyc and smalishah84 like this.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Now a friend of mine recently said that since my family does not speak Pushto and because my ancestors migrated from Afghanistan to Pakistan around 300 years ago, we are not Pushtoons (this is what I identify myself as). This has been really been bugging me ever since because my identity is being questioned.

So how long does it take in a different geographical region for ethnicity to change. Does losing your language also change your ethnicity and what is more important, language and culture or DNA to determine your race.
    Sorry AN I am not up to speed on what a pushtoon is - how does the migration hurt your case in his eyes?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

According to him the migration was a long time ago and that my family has stopped speaking Pushto, which is the official language of Pushtoons. However marriages in my family have always been to people in other Pushtoon families settled nearby (post migration), so genetically we are the still the same people.

Majority of people in Afghanistan are Pushtoons.

This is the wiki article on Pushtoons, although I have spelt it differently.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 06-04-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Meh.

It's one's upbringing that forms one.

Most of us in the UK are complete mutts, genetically speaking. I myself have Irish and, more distantly, Jewish forbears, but have never thought of myself as anything other than English and would be pissed off in the extreme if some **** said having a grandfather from Ennis made me otherwise.
    The difference here is that Pashtuns are much more an ethnic group than a cultural group. His ethnic identity is different from his cultural identity, and both tend to contribute to most people's concept of nationality in a different ratio depending on the person.

You can identify yourself as whatever you like as far as I'm concerned AN as long as you do have some sort of link and it is what you personally identify yourself as and not just what happens to be most convenient for your ambitions at the time.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 06-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Agent Nationaux likes this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The difference here is that Pashtuns are much more an ethnic group than a cultural group. His ethnic identity is different from his cultural identity, and both tend to contribute to most people's concept of nationality in a different ration depending on the person.

You can identify yourself as whatever you like as far as I'm concerned AN as long as you do have some sort of link and it is what you personally identify yourself as and not just what happens to be most convenient for your ambitions at the time.
    Like when I wanted to play for NZ after leaving Queensland.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    This friend of yours sounds like anything but to me AN - if what he says annoys you give him a slap - he won't say it again
    sledger, Hurricane and Flem274* like this.

Lol thanks Fred

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Can't really see how your ancestry can be disappeared on the account of what someone says.
    This
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Why did you choose those words to end your post?

Do you know someone who has chosen their identity based on personal ambition?

And how does your own struggle between being English but an Australian tie into that comment?

Sorry if I am putting you on the spot PEWS but your post caught my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Why did you choose those words to end your post?
    To prevent my posts about certain sportspeople coming across extremely hypocritical, basically. I'm largely against sportspeople representing nations they wouldn't be supporting if they weren't personally involved and if I didn't include the bolded part of that post then it could've been used against me in that debate later.

Neil Wagner moving to New Zealand with specific intentions of qualifying for their national cricket team despite having no actual ties to the country for example just really rubs me the wrong way. I don't think your national identity should be something you can willingly change. If he'd moved just to play domestic cricket (or for a reason completely unrelated to cricket), fell in love with the country to a point where he did consider himself a New Zealander above all else and then decided he'd like to represent it then that'd be different, so it's an extremely fine line and not something you can really test as such. The option to willingly and deliberately change your national identity opportunistically just defeats the purpose of such a thing existing for mine.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    Hurricane likes this.

Fair point.

Tahir is a bit like that. He played FC cricket in RSA, fell in love with a local, got married and then wanted to play cricket for RSA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information