Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bushwalking

Bushwalking

It's my eighth year in Sydney this year and I'm just starting to explore various walks in the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, and Wollongong areas and have been really enjoying seeing and experiencing some wonderful scenery. It's amazing what is right on your door step if you're prepared to give it a chance.

Anyone else on the forum into bushwalking? Done any multi-day walks? I'm planning on doing the Milford Track in New Zealand later in the year.

Couple of photos from my favourite walk in the Blue Mountains:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I've done a lot of multi-day walks in NZ. Camped out in the remote Hawdon Valley in Arthur's Pass for a week a couple of times and at the tops in the Kahurangi National Park for a week last year with DoC staff. Of the Great Walks, I've only done the Rakiura Track, the Wanganui River Journey and the Tongariro Crossing. Depends what you want from your tramping in NZ - Abel Tasman and Queen Charlotte Tracks are probably more accessible and stunning. I'd love to do the 7 day one-way walk to Dusky Sound at some point, bleak though it may be.

It's been a few years since I last walked in the Blue Mountains though.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Some great experience you've got there Heath. I don't know anything about the Queen Charlotte Track, but along with Abel Tasman I believe the scenery would be very different compared to Milford Track based on them being far more coastal?

I wish I'd got into these while I was still in NZ, but better late than never.

How did you find the Rakiura Track out of interest?

The Rakiura Track was wet.

Day 1 and 3 bucketed down all day, when you're walking along the coast so we got drenched. On day two, when you're walking through the bush it was a lovely day. Very undulating on the 2nd day up and down, up and down. Wet underfoot, quite muddy. Quite cool locations for backcountry huts though at Port William and North Arm, former (and long gone) Stewart Island settlements. Plenty of seafood to be taken from the bays at the huts as well. A very interesting walk, but very bleak.

Queen Charlotte and Abel Tasman would be very different to Milford. Probably need to be looking at Hollyford or Routeburn tracks for something similar but a bit less overwalked. Heaphy Track in Kahurangi they've been doing an experiment allowing mountain bikers along it.

My favourite day walk in NZ is up Mount Robert in St Arnaud near the Nelson Lakes. Perfect to do on a nice day in early Spring. Someday I'll get out and up to Angelus (?) out that way. Hopefully see some Kea around, but very scarce round Nelson Lakes these days.

Good mate just did the Milford Track and absolutely raved about it

I have walked to Everest Base Camp and reckon that it is the most overrated thing going

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

I have walked to Everest Base Camp and reckon that it is the most overrated thing going
    My friend literally just posted about it and claims it was not even close to justifying the costs involved and there are much better treks available in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    The Rakiura Track was wet.

Day 1 and 3 bucketed down all day, when you're walking along the coast so we got drenched. On day two, when you're walking through the bush it was a lovely day. Very undulating on the 2nd day up and down, up and down. Wet underfoot, quite muddy. Quite cool locations for backcountry huts though at Port William and North Arm, former (and long gone) Stewart Island settlements. Plenty of seafood to be taken from the bays at the huts as well. A very interesting walk, but very bleak.
    Haha, describes it well, and how I expect it would be. Great Walks | greatwalks.co.nz is a fantastic site DOC have put together, certainly covers the walks well with the maps, graphs, etc that they show. Having never been to Stewart Island before, it's a place I'd like to get to at some stage.

Probably need to be looking at Hollyford or Routeburn tracks for something similar but a bit less overwalked. Heaphy Track in Kahurangi they've been doing an experiment allowing mountain bikers along it.
    I was looking at Kepler as a backup if I can't do Milford due to availability. It seems like December bookings aren't available yet so hopefully I don't miss out. How have you found booking the walks you've done?

Routeburn looks lovely, but I'd want to do a walk a little longer than 2 days.

My favourite day walk in NZ is up Mount Robert in St Arnaud near the Nelson Lakes. Perfect to do on a nice day in early Spring. Someday I'll get out and up to Angelus (?) out that way. Hopefully see some Kea around, but very scarce round Nelson Lakes these days.
    I know exactly where that is. Having been to Nelson Lakes quite a few times when I lived in NZ, it was my favourite part of the country actually. Stunning place, although when I walked around a few tracks a couple of years ago there were speed boats, etc zooming around which unfortunately drowned out the bird sounds.
    Last edited by James; 28-03-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    My friend literally just posted about it and claims it was not even close to justifying the costs involved and there are much better treks available in Asia.
    Nice social. Care to share a bit about your experiences?

Interesting that you both don't rate Everest. Why out of interest?

Share some photos as well if you can guys

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was looking at Kepler as a backup if I can't do Milford due to availability. It seems like December bookings aren't available yet so hopefully I don't miss out. How have you found booking the walks you've done?

Routeburn looks lovely, but I'd want to do a walk a little longer than 2 days.
    I've never had trouble booking, but then I've never tried to do Milford or Waikaremoana at the height of summer, and I don't think I'd particularly want to do either at that time of year. If I'm going down to Milford to tramp, I'd want to feel cold doing it; so Autumn would suit me fine.

The Travers-Sabine circuit is the one I'd be looking at in Nelson Lakes. 6 day tramp, though you could probably reduce it to 5 days easily enough. The Rees-Dart track down South is another option.

Is the Kepler Track the one that has a really tough uphill slog on day one, and is then plain sailing with a nice slow descent for days 2 to 4?

Not sure how big this'll come out.

This is from the top of Woolshed Hill in the Hawdon Valley.

andyc likes this.

I've never had trouble booking, but then I've never tried to do Milford or Waikaremoana at the height of summer, and I don't think I'd particularly want to do either at that time of year. If I'm going down to Milford to tramp, I'd want to feel cold doing it; so Autumn would suit me fine.

The Travers-Sabine circuit is the one I'd be looking at in Nelson Lakes. 6 day tramp, though you could probably reduce it to 5 days easily enough. The Rees-Dart track down South is another option.

Is the Kepler Track the one that has a really tough uphill slog on day one, and is then plain sailing with a nice slow descent for days 2 to 4?
    That's good to hear. I'll be doing Milford in December or early January due to the availability of taking leave from work. Not ideal I agree, but have to take what I can get

Don't think I could handle a 6-day tramp, but will have to google that track and see what I can find. Thanks.

Yeah, that's right re Kepler. You can see the elevation profile here.

Not sure how big this'll come out.

This is from the top of Woolshed Hill in the Hawdon Valley.

Very nice view. You take your dog on the walks you do?

Not my dog, as it happens. That's a trained Whio/Kea dog that works for DoC. I was out catching and banding Kea on that occasion. You wouldn't be allowed to take your normal domestic dog into the Hawdon, or any of the National Parks, I suspect.

Regarding the Kepler though, a friend of mine did that earlier in the year and really rated it. Not done it myself though.

Not my dog, as it happens. That's a trained Whio/Kea dog that works for DoC. I was out catching and banding Kea on that occasion. You wouldn't be allowed to take your normal domestic dog into the Hawdon, or any of the National Parks, I suspect.
    Wow, sounds like a pretty incredible job you've got where you get to do that. Nice work.

Regarding the Kepler though, a friend of mine did that earlier in the year and really rated it. Not done it myself though.
    Thanks for all your comments.

My trip to Everest was as a result of my brother being diagnosed with a life threatening illness and him wanting to tick stuff off his bucket list

As a career soldier, I assume that he decided that it was about time that he converted his younger brother to the rough stuff and asked me to come along

It was basically 28 days of walking relatively small distances per day over boring terrain towards a mountain in the distance

View never changed and food/lodgings were ****

Only decent things about the trip were spending time with my bro in Bangkok to/from Nepal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information