Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The greatest ever era in TV, the worst ever era in Movies?

The greatest ever era in TV, the worst ever era in Movies?

Having enjoyed another Mad Men episode tonight (up to S3), and having also watched over the past couple of years Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and having True Detective, House of Cards, Suits waiting for me I was thinking we're surely in the greatest era ever of tv shows. Has there ever been this amount of quality on television before?

It got me thinking about the last time I went to the cinema to watch an actual movie and that was well over a year ago now when I went to see Skyfall. I just don't find myself seeing any original quality stories being told with in the main sequels and re-makes becoming the norm.

Anyone else find themselves watching less and less movies these days with the quality of what we're getting on tv seemingly getting better and better with the opposite happening in the movie realm?

I don't watch much of either, but I would definitely agree on the movie side of things. Most (Hollywood) films seem to be either remakes or completely unoriginal - loads of dopey horror/thriller/superhero stuff. Plenty of decent independent/non-English speaking films still emerging though.

Edit: The last time I went to the cinema was to see Skyfall as well, and whilst I enjoyed it, it can hardly be said that it was a remarkable film/original idea. Much of what puts me off going to the cinema is the price/general experience though, not necessarily just the lack of promise of a decent film. I could put up with mediocre viewing experiences if I didn't have to pay the earth to endure them. Similarly, cinemas are full of people who are obsessed with eating, which I can't stand. It's not a restaurant ffs.
    Last edited by sledger; 27-03-2014 at 05:38 AM.
    Nate likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    In general maybe but the last year has been the best in movies for a long time. Wolf of Wall Street, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, Captain Phillips, Grown Ups 2, etc.

Average cinema experience is meh though, no doubt.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-03-2014 at 05:49 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I agree on TV. It might be the worst era for live action movies but it's surely the best era ever for animated movies. For a while I've been thinking we're nearing the end of that with Miyazaki retiring, Disney buying out Pixar and producers starting to churn out more sequels than original ideas. But you still get stuff like the Lego Movie coming out which was just spectacular.
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    The advantage with TV has always been that if done right, story and characters can connect with the audience far more simply because of the amount if time the viewer invests. Shows rarely used to take advantage of that but now the medium is consistently producing some quality stuff. Generally each era used to have a couple of shows in that top tier but the last 6-7 years have produced plenty.

And I mostly agree on movies as well, although 2013 was pretty great. Animation and comic book movies are two of my favorite genres and this decade has been a golden age for both, so I don't have too much to complain about. But why the **** can't we get just one good video game adaptation done right FFS. Its a travesty.

In terms of good original stories, though, it's been extremely dry
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 27-03-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It's down to the recession. More value in companies investing in TV. IMO.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Movies based on video games will almost always be dreadful by default imo. In order to make a film sufficiently different from a game (i.e. to make it something other than just the game on film) you'll have to make changes to the material somehow, and thus you'll lose some of the magic that made the game great in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Movies based on video games will almost always be dreadful by default imo. In order to make a film sufficiently different from a game (i.e. to make it something other than just the game on film) you'll have to make changes to the material somehow, and thus you'll lose some of the magic that made the game great in the first place.
    I'm not asking for an Oscar contender tbh. All I'm asking for is a serviceable, watchable, entertaining movie. Surely there's more than enough good gaming material to make a half decent movie. Something will be lost in the transition between mediums just like in book adaptations. But FFS why can't anyone even make something that doesn't suck Krogan testicles?
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

I suspect that is largely down to the writers/producers/directors not being familiar with, or a fan of, the source material in lots of cases.

The Resident Evil film being turned into a massive, brain-dead (heh), shoot-em-up rather than a tense, claustrophobic and suspenseful experience being a prime example of this sort of thing.

Ha, just remembered the Final Fantasy film as well. Not sure what Square were smoking when they churned that one out. (Aki Ross though...)

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Movies based on video games will almost always be dreadful by default imo.
    There are certainly exceptions though.

RIP Craigos

Oh yes. I take back all my complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    In general maybe but the last year has been the best in movies for a long time. Wolf of Wall Street, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, Captain Phillips, Grown Ups 2, etc.

Average cinema experience is meh though, no doubt.
    Lack of Rob Schneider's comedic perfection ruined the experience IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Oh yes. I take back all my complaints
    On a serious note, I'm interested to see how they handle Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed movies. They're both stories that would probably be ideal to adapt for TV. With AC's acid-induced-hallucination-istic complexity and SC's espionage drama, I can't imagine a movie gives them enough time to properly tell the story.

Something like The Last of Us and Uncharted, on the other hand, could be made into decent movies IMO.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 27-03-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Yeah TLoU and AC could work great. As could stuff like Bioshock and Halo if handled well with a nice budget

A Mass Effect TV series in the veign of Battlestar Galactica only bigger and more spectacular would be a dream come true, though.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    This is going on limited evidence obviously, but I went to see the Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday and it's the most fun I've had in a cinema for probably ever. So funny and so gorgeous to watch. I think there's plenty of stuff out there that's inventive and enjoyable, you just have to give it a go. Certainly if Skyfall is the last film you've seen I'd suggest you just go and see more.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information