Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 2014 New Zealand Election thread

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    legalise pot dudes
    Pot is legal where I live (Colorado). The state is making a fortune in weed tax revenue and tourism numbers have gone up.

Man, I've got the munchies real bad.
    KiWiNiNjA and wellAlbidarned like this.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Pot is legal where I live (Colorado). The state is making a fortune in weed tax revenue and tourism numbers have gone up.

Probably worth having a thread about it. Apart from the mental health consequences - one joint has the same impact on your lungs that 30 cigarettes does. I am not debating with you here BeeGee as I don't even know what your position is - I am just pointing this out. In a world where they are discussing banning cigarettes altogether why suddenly allow something that is potentially worse from a cancer POV and cost to the health care system.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    At the current point in time the legalise movement has everything going for it. You only have to walk around the centre of Hamilton to see the damage that synthetics have done. Natural marijuana is so preferable to the artificial stuff that its not funny and unless the politicians get their **** into gear, the only way that we are going to get rid of legals is to make the natural stuff legal.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Probably worth having a thread about it. Apart from the mental health consequences - one joint has the same impact on your lungs that 30 cigarettes does. I am not debating with you here BeeGee as I don't even know what your position is - I am just pointing this out. In a world where they are discussing banning cigarettes altogether why suddenly allow something that is potentially worse from a cancer POV and cost to the health care system.
    drinking coke gives you diabetes and alcohol kills people every day through a multitude of effects. Playing rugby results in hundreds of head injuries. Something having adverse health effects isn't valid reason to completely prohibit it.

Also, who on earth smokes an entire joint by themselves?
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 24-04-2014 at 03:13 AM.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post

Just as of yesterday I was starting to think about where I'd like to take a gap year - the answer has been found for me I see

Albi hitting the nail on the head there.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    At the current point in time the legalise movement has everything going for it. You only have to walk around the centre of Hamilton to see the damage that synthetics have done. Natural marijuana is so preferable to the artificial stuff that its not funny and unless the politicians get their **** into gear, the only way that we are going to get rid of legals is to make the natural stuff legal.
    is this just the appeal to nature or is it true? genuinely asking, i have no idea. i do live with someone who hits the legals pretty hard (i'm not sure i've ever talked to him not high) and well...sometimes he's very good at day dreaming lets put it that way.

i hate the rubbish and have no idea why anyone would want to touch it let alone implicitly encourage it by legalising it but legalise it imo. people are allowed to wreck themselves with booze and ciggies. weed is no different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Alcohol is a far superior drug to Marijuana.. In moderation there are even some health benefits to drinking.

And I don't like ONIY's logic that it is the lesser of two evils.

Peter Dunne was on Campbell live today and he said "You only have to take a trip to your local psch ward / hospital to see the damage pot can do. We won't be legalising it soon".

The only argument in favour of bud is that it is basically non addictive unless you go stupid on it and have it every day.

Nah, I don't agree with you, Hurricane.

Alcohol leads to drunken violence, drink driving, alcoholism etc etc
    New Zealand's "drinking culture"

Marijuana leads to cottonmouth, munchies, sunshine, and lollipops.

Regarding the Dunne quote, you don't even need to visit a hospital to see what damage alcohol can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Honestly, I don't use it, but I'm basically a libertarian and believe that people should be free to make their own decisions (as long as it doesn't harm others).

As far as cancer is concerned, I actually believe the most popular form of the drug sold in Colorado is in edible goods. This is because it's still illegal to smoke it in public places.

An interesting legal twist is that even though marijuana is legal under Colorado state law, it's still illegal under US federal law, so technically the federal authorities could still arrest someone in Colorado for marijuana possession, manufacture or sale, but the US Justice Department has said it won't challenge Colorado or other states with laws legalizing recreational marijuana.
    Last edited by BeeGee; 24-04-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Just as of yesterday I was starting to think about where I'd like to take a gap year - the answer has been found for me I see
    Colorado is an awesome place to visit, even without the pot.

Hurricane,

First, The 'study' you're citing states that one joint = 20 cigarettes, not 30. I might be appearing pedantic but 50% more is quite a lot.

Secondly, the study is a complete farce, as a) it has a sample size of 79 people b) the results was derived from purely anecdotal evidence not actual scientific data. Quoting from the study:

For the study, researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients in an effort identify the main risk factors for the disease, such as smoking, family history and occupation. The patients were questioned about alcohol and marijuana consumption.

In the high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.
    Such precise conclusions are meaningless from that lolsample size and interviews IMO.
    Last edited by Teja.; 24-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    is this just the appeal to nature or is it true? genuinely asking, i have no idea. i do live with someone who hits the legals pretty hard (i'm not sure i've ever talked to him not high) and well...sometimes he's very good at day dreaming lets put it that way.

i hate the rubbish and have no idea why anyone would want to touch it let alone implicitly encourage it by legalising it but legalise it imo. people are allowed to wreck themselves with booze and ciggies. weed is no different.
    Synthetics have all these nasty additives in them to make them addictive. I used to have a couple of good mates who were stoners,who then discovered legals and quickly destroyed their lives. They say for all recreational drugs including alcohol, about 3% of the population will click once exposed to them and become addicted overnight. For synthetics the rate would be more about 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Hurricane,

First, The 'study' you're citing states that one joint = 20 cigarettes, not 30. I might be appearing pedantic but 50% more is quite a lot.

Secondly, the study is a complete farce, as a) it has a sample size of 79 people b) the results was derived from purely anecdotal evidence not actual scientific data. Quoting from the study:

Such precise conclusions are meaningless from that lolsample size and interviews IMO.
    Maybe 30 may just be scare mongering - I heard it from a teacher at school here is another study that suggests it is 2.5 to 5 times worse. Either way, 30 or 2.5, it is worse.

https://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...king-marijuana
    Smoking a single marijuana joint is equivalent to smoking 2.5 to 5 cigarettes in terms of damage to the lungs, largely due to differences in how pot and cigarette users smoke.

The Guardian reported July 31 that researchers at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand found that the deep drags taken by marijuana users, along with their penchant for holding smoke in before exhaling, can cause problems like obstructed airways and hyperinflation of the lungs. The lack of filters on marijuana joints also contributes to lung problems, researchers said.

The study involved 339 adult volunteers divided into four groups: marijuana-only smokers, tobacco-only smokers, marijuana and tobacco smokers, and nonsmokers.

All of the smokers reported coughing and wheezing, but only tobacco smokers exhibited signs of emphysema.

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Nah, I don't agree with you, Hurricane.

Alcohol leads to drunken violence, drink driving, alcoholism etc etc
    New Zealand's "drinking culture"

Marijuana leads to cottonmouth, munchies, sunshine, and lollipops.

Regarding the Dunne quote, you don't even need to visit a hospital to see what damage alcohol can do.
    Taking drunk driving out of the equation which can result in deaths including innocent people on the other side of the road (I am excluding it because I have no comeback to it) - if you drink to excess for 4-5 years and then stop you will probably be ok minus the divorce and loss of friendships in your life, however your health will recover. If you smoke pot for 4-5 years there is probably and I making this up but if you challenge me I will google it - there is a 5-10% chance you will be mentally ****ed for life (in a psych ward).

Also the effects of pot are insidious. If you smoke up more than once a month you will lose your ambition. Now maybe ambition doesn't sound like an important thing, but to parents (I am not a parent) of some 21 year old who is living in their basement and content with his 3 day a week job at the corner store you are probably very concerned about it.

If you sense uptightness in my posts it is there for two reasons. I have known people who have lost all ambition and they were my friends. Secondly I get "offered it/thrust upon me" once every couple of months. I have no problem with people dabbling with it in their 20s to check it out and I certainly did. But I have issues with people doing it long term. I think it does harm other people and tax payers by creating costs for our health system and our economy. If there is every a referendum on legalising it I will be voting against it. Also remember when reading my posts I am an old **** if I was in my 20s and still dabbling then I would be all in favour of it no doubt.

Edit - I also don't see the need to legalise it as it is a piece of cake to acquire some and use. And it is affordable. So future teenagers will not be deprived of the traditional pot experience.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 25-04-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information