Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 2014 New Zealand Election thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    What are you going to change us to? I'm quite happy for New Zealand to explore new stuff, but we've struggled to branch out from those staples. Personally, I'm quite happy we're a food producer and exporter rather than a country that needs to import (yes I know we do import stuff like Canadian pork, but it's not a necessity for us).

And we're always going to have mining at some level. A fair chunk on the North Island ranges are smeared all over the country in the form of roads for a start.

edit: and frankly if you're going to tell me what, how and why I think what I think then I'm not sure I can be bothered with this discussion. Work I did over the summer will probably be used to help regulate agriculture, rather than let it continue as it is which is the picture your ad hominem attack would paint.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 11-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    The agriculture can be remodelled, regulated and changed to the point it is eventually no longer environmentally detrimental, which is what the Green Party wants (and something I want). To say that there are members who want to do away with it altogether holds as much weight as there being members of National who would want all slant eyes and ragheads booted out of New Zealand.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 12-03-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    hendrix likes this.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

edit: and frankly if you're going to tell me what, how and why I think what I think then I'm not sure I can be bothered with this discussion. Work I did over the summer will probably be used to help regulate agriculture, rather than let it continue as it is which is the picture your ad hominem attack would paint.
    Don't be like that Flem - the whole fun of the thread is to cross swords provided no insults are used.

I came in here to make a smart alec comment about your post but now see you are no mood for it so feel dissappointed.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Voting Mana, greens have moved to far to the centre for my liking.

Nah not eligible to vote but hopefully the TPPA marches will build up some much needed momentum for the left.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Voting Mana, greens have moved to far to the centre for my liking.

Nah not eligible to vote but hopefully the TPPA marches will build up some much needed momentum for the left.
    Why are you not eligible if you don't mind the question. You don't post like a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Why are you not eligible if you don't mind the question. You don't post like a teenager.
    18 in december so

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    18 in december so
    Well you make very linear posts. And I enjoy what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Well you make very linear posts. And I enjoy what you have to say.
    Cheers mate

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    The agriculture can be remodelled, regulated and changed to the point it is eventually no longer environmentally detrimental, which is what the Green Party wants (and something I want). To say that there are members who want to do away with it altogether holds as much weight as there being members of National who would want all slant eyes and ragheads booted out of New Zealand.
    That is something I want as well and something my own research will hopefully help with, but at present this dream is impossible considering the stance of several political parties including the Green Party on some aspects of agri-science, namely GMOs and animal testing (regulated and ethical animal testing, before anyone gets going). The sooner political parties zip it with the pseudo-scientific scare mongering the faster we can move away from hordes of cows and crude fertilizers being the weapons of choice for the industry.

This next bit isn't directed at the Green Party per se but it is worth adding to the sustainable agriculture chat: It doesn't help that at the local level it is very "us vs them". I've worked with a regional council and their surveyors hate farmers, and farmers hate them, and that sort of relationship is not going to see any improvement in agricultural practice any time soon. The council are far more interested in having 8am meetings every day than actually doing any work. Their new agricultural plan is clunky (though it was much needed - rezoning needs to happen and hopefully future attempts are much better) and farmers in general around the country are unfairly targeted over the lovely discharge from towns and cities that goes into our rivers daily.

The "they do it too" spiel above doesn't excuse farming for what it does at all, but sustainable agriculture is a pipe dream unless AgReasearch, Landcare Research and the like are allowed to go full speed ahead. New Zealand cannot have an agriculture industry and minor environmental impact today with all the regulation in the world, but we can have it in time with new advances in farming practice. The Greens are standing in the way of many of these advancements.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 12-03-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    That is something I want as well and something my own research will hopefully help with, but at present this dream is impossible considering the stance of several political parties including the Green Party on some aspects of agri-science, namely GMOs and animal testing (regulated and ethical animal testing, before anyone gets going). The sooner political parties zip it with the pseudo-scientific scare mongering the faster we can move away from hordes of cows and crude fertilizers being the weapons of choice for the industry.

This next bit isn't directed at the Green Party per se but it is worth adding to the sustainable agriculture chat: It doesn't help that at the local level it is very "us vs them". I've worked with a regional council and their surveyors hate farmers, and farmers hate them, and that sort of relationship is not going to see any improvement in agricultural practice any time soon. The council are far more interested in having 8am meetings every day than actually doing any work. Their new agricultural plan is clunky (though it was much needed - rezoning needs to happen and hopefully future attempts are much better) and farmers in general around the country are unfairly targeted over the lovely discharge from towns and cities that goes into our rivers daily.

The "they do it too" spiel above doesn't excuse farming for what it does at all, but sustainable agriculture is a pipe dream unless AgReasearch, Landcare Research and the like are allowed to go full speed ahead. New Zealand cannot have an agriculture industry and minor environmental impact today with all the regulation in the world, but we can have it in time with new advances in farming practice. The Greens are standing in the way of many of these advancements.
    Interestingly enough i participated in a model united nations thingy about water issues last year. Our mayor opened the event, and went on for about 20 minutes about everything the council was doing to protect the environment. We then had a local who had worked as an eel farmer for 30 odd years come up and talk about how the council had done absolutely nothing to protect the environment and had given in to the farmers demands each and every time. It was hilarious to see the reaction on Julie's face, she took it all personally of course.

So latest poll not looking good.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    It'll come back, though not by enough to save Greabour. Reckon if the poll had been taken a few days later, the Judith Collins debacle would've hit National's numbers a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    It'll come back, though not by enough to save Greabour. Reckon if the poll had been taken a few days later, the Judith Collins debacle would've hit National's numbers a bit.
    I am keeping a list of good words to change my user name to if I get bored one day - and I will add debacle to the list.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    It seems to me that Shane Jones' departure is very close to the final nail in the coffin for Labour. It shows the significant internal divisions within the party, will probably drive away voters in the centre, and will likely alienate NZ First from the Labour party.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Very unethical behaviour from National to poach a sitting opposition MP. The election was lost already, but I just hope this doesn't push things far enough to guarantee National ruling alone.
    _Ed_ likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information