Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: 2014 New Zealand Election thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Edit - I hope that all is good between us Hendrix and your grammatical critique isn't a symptom of something I've done to offend you in some other thread. Just seems a surprising thing to pull someone up for so it got me wondering.
    Of course all is good!

I'm just making the point that saying Big Business in capitals like that removes the actual specificity and descriptiveness of a term to the level where it becomes meaningless. There's no need to have Big Business with a capital B when we can just use normal everyday English to describe what we mean - and this way we don't present any pre-bias or stigma to our argument.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Of course all is good!

I'm just making the point that saying Big Business in capitals like that removes the actual specificity and descriptiveness of a term to the level where it becomes meaningless. There's no need to have Big Business with a capital B when we can just use normal everyday English to describe what we mean - and this way we don't present any pre-bias or stigma to our argument.
    All good - thanks for your post. I had been a bit worried that I had been a bit off handed in the rugby thread a month ago so hence I thought I would ask.

I am fine with your comments /clarification - cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

I want to have my say:

David Cunliffe is being an idiot by not ruling out working with the Internet Mana party. You must have principles even in politics and doing a deal with those guys shows you have no values.

I have no issue with doing a deal with the Mana party - just doing a deal with the transparent - don't extradite me - Kim dot com.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    We live in a democracy, Hurricane. If people want to vote for Dotcom's party then that party deserves a voice.

Cunliffe has to be practical. He can't run the country with Labour alone. He's already ruled out Internet-Mana being a part of the government, but if they're in parliament anyway then they will get a vote anyway so if you can work with them, why not do so?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    but dotcom is rich, overweight and has a funny voice he must be evil
    Exit pursuing a beer

We live in a democracy, Hurricane. If people want to vote for Dotcom's party then that party deserves a voice.

Cunliffe has to be practical. He can't run the country with Labour alone. He's already ruled out Internet-Mana being a part of the government, but if they're in parliament anyway then they will get a vote anyway so if you can work with them, why not do so?
    I may be wrong but I think Hurricane's issue stems from the belief that Dotcom's starting position in negotiations will be "my party will vote for all your bills if you don't extradite me" which lies in a pretty grey area between standard horse-trading and outright corruption.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 10-08-2014 at 03:22 AM.
    hendrix likes this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

This is from a quick google of ACT's confidence and supply agreement with National

"ACT New Zealand agrees to provide confidence and supply through positive votes of support for the term of this Parliament to a National-led Government in return for National's agreement to the policy programme and other matters set out in this document."

Labour does a deal with Internet Mana then Kim dot com may get to achieve some of his agenda.

Secondly it is counter productive for Labour anyway. They take a strong stand and just say no to this alliance and more people will vote for them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I may be wrong but I think Hurricane's issue stems from the believe that Dotcom's starting position in negotiations will be "my party will vote for all your bills if you don't extradite me" which lies in a pretty grey area between standard horse-trading and outright corruption.
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I may be wrong but I think Hurricane's issue stems from the belief that Dotcom's starting position in negotiations will be "my party will vote for all your bills if you don't extradite me" which lies in a pretty grey area between standard horse-trading and outright corruption.
    He might think that, but the chances of that happening are Nil and strike me as paranoid. He doesn't even run the party. Once he's bankrolled Internet-Mana to 2-5 seats in Parliament and they no longer need his cash, do you seriously think their first policy act is going to be some bizarre piece of legislation which prevents him being extradited? Even if that were the case, you think that there wouldn't be a backbench Labour rebellion to prevent that happening.

Scaremongering. Absolute scaremongering. I wouldn't vote for Internet-Mana myself, but not because of Hurricane's fears.

He might think that, but the chances of that happening are Nil and strike me as paranoid. He doesn't even run the party. Once he's bankrolled Internet-Mana to 2-5 seats in Parliament and they no longer need his cash, do you seriously think their first policy act is going to be some bizarre piece of legislation which prevents him being extradited? Even if that were the case, you think that there wouldn't be a backbench Labour rebellion to prevent that happening.

Scaremongering. Absolute scaremongering. I wouldn't vote for Internet-Mana myself, but not because of Hurricane's fears.
    a) Non Extradition is just one issue he could insist on. And all of his conditions would be unsavoury.
    b) I don't believe it will require legislation to block the extradition. Just the PM making a few phone calls. I could be wrong.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    The problem is a lot of people I know, i.e. 'young adults' have expressed that they might vote for the party, simply because he's thrown some pretty sik partiez up and down the country, not bothering to get into their actual policies. But then most people in the country probably know **** all of the main parties policies as it is so maybe trolls in the parliament might be entertaining.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar

Pretty sure .com's motivation in all of this is just to annoy Key and have someone in parliament give him **** for 3 years. He's buying their way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    a) Non Extradition is just one issue he could insist on. And all of his conditions would be unsavoury.
    b) I don't believe it will require legislation to block the extradition. Just the PM making a few phone calls. I could be wrong.
    All of his conditions could be unsavoury? If that were the case, Labour wouldn't make the deal, neither side of the divide could form a government and there'd be another election, Dotcom would have been 'found out' and that would be the end of Internet-Mana.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    The problem is a lot of people I know, i.e. 'young adults' have expressed that they might vote for the party, simply because he's thrown some pretty sik partiez up and down the country, not bothering to get into their actual policies. But then most people in the country probably know **** all of the main parties policies as it is so maybe trolls in the parliament might be entertaining.
    Tbf, I think a good chunk of their policies appeal to such young adults as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Pretty sure .com's motivation in all of this is just to annoy Key and have someone in parliament give him **** for 3 years. He's buying their way in.
    The key commentators at the time when he entered politics all speculated that his motivations were to avoid extradition. Don't ask me for quotes to back that up.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information