Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Year Resolutions

New Year Resolutions

Do you make them? If so, what are yours for 2014?

Or do you find them lame? Or do you just find that you always break them so what's the point?

I'm not necessarily big into new year resolutions as I have never really had something that I've really needed to give up (e.g. smoking or drinking too much etc.) At the same time, the start of a new year is conveniently a nice "point" to change things up if you feel they aren't working, or to do new things you've always wanted to do etc. I generally try and make my resolutions very tangible and achievable things, rather than "large goals". For e.g. instead of "eat healthier" it may be a specific type of food to cut down on/not eat, or instead of "get fitter" it may be a specific exercise to be done every 2 days etc.

My resolutions for 2014 are:

1. Completely cut out sugar from my daily coffees/teas - My once great metabolism is noticeably waning and my family has a history of diabetes and heart issues, so I figured I better start reducing my sugar intake (among other healthier eating/drinking habits!).
    2. Read one book (fiction or non-fiction, doesn't matter) every 2 weeks - I used to be a huge reader, particularly from 2009-2011. I used to particularly read a lot on the bus/train on the way to work. However ever since I moved into the inner city in Sydney and began walking to work (and probably because my work involves a large chunk of reading as well) I've barely read any books. Another cause I suspect is that in recent years in my spare time at home (when I'm not watching sport) I tend to watch seasons of TV shows rather than read books. What's worse, I used to read on my frequent trips from Sydney to my home town of Melbourne but now I just sleep through the whole flight. Figured I better get back into books!
    3. Go for a jog/go to the downstairs gym at least 3 times per week -Standard exercise resolution which one never keeps here. Refer to above re: metabolism, heart disease etc.. I'm still a skinny **** (as Burgey once called me) but definitely am at my least healthy. Used to play sport 3-4 times per week when I was younger and with that pretty much stopping since I moved to Sydney (barring the odd touch AFL game which I suck at), I definitely need to exercise more.
    4. Have Spikey on ignore on CW for all of 2014 and possibly forever - Just seems like a good idea.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Not really a new years thing,but i vowed to give up smoking two weeks ago, and i haven't smoked since.Feels good.Hopefully it continues into the next year.

And yes,never go close to a KFC meal again.**** fried chicken.
    Last edited by salman85; 30-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.

To not smoke cigarettes the same one I've had for decades, Oh it's not the same one because I fail at it,quite the opposite.

I started smoking at a ridiculously young age, by nicking my dads John Players Specials, an incredibly noxious cigarette, after about 6 months of doing this and chucking up my lungs, I gave up. I was about 1v at the time, and started selling the fags I nicked for about ten pence a pop, a tidy profit even when I decided to buy them myself.

So 30 years of abstention and I'm pretty sure, yet again I'll sail through it this year, I'd be lying if in that time I haven't smoked some stuff with tobacco in, but I think the principle remains the same.
    Jono likes this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

As I stated on Facebook earlier, my resolution for next year is "fewer hugs, more drugs".

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    As I stated on Facebook earlier, my resolution for next year is "fewer hugs, more drugs".
    Wait a minute...did Perm hack your account a few months ago, change your name, and assume your identity?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Cutting down on Carbonated Soft Drinks by at least a third from my current consumption. I reckon that on the average I drink about 1.5 litres of coke a week. Need to bring that down to a litre or less. Ideal would be to completely stop altogether.

Incorporating more healthy foods in my diet especially oats in some form.

Exercising at least 3 times a week. Given the cold spell engulfing the country in the first week of Jan, this looks in danger already

Am aiming for a career track change and hope to go for graduate studies. I plan to materialize it in the coming year as well. So the applications need to be sent by the first month of 2014 at the latest.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    punch ajdude in the back of the head

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    4. Have Spikey on ignore on CW for all of 2014 and possibly forever - Just seems like a good idea.
    would be a good win for me
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Be less of a ****. Hasn't worked the last 44 years, but this time it's a lock.
    GIMH and andyc like this.

jan
    Resolutions in general:
    1. return into thralldom of employment
    2. be more in touch with my whole family
    3. as OP says - cut the sugar, my daily intake of sugar is alarming
    4. improve my basic fitness routine and lose what I have put on during christmas

Cricket-wise:
    To be "out" and "bowled" less often and score some runs - rather a good innings than total runs in season. And get as much extra training as possible. I havent set any goals in numbers, cowardly of me

Plus a new, lighter bat and another son would be great too
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, any fastbowler's bunny, grainy low-res streams watcher

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Was going to go for regular exercise or cutting down on sugar intake, but nah this year it's going to be to have as much fun as possible

distract ajdud so spikey can punch him in the back of the head
    BeeGee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

This is from our blog on our website at work, written by one of our Directors. I think it's quite good, and worth sharing:....

As 2014 beckons and our minds turn to New Year’s Resolutions, here are a few ideas to assist you to shape your own:

Friends and family …. In a world that has become increasingly virtual, don’t lose sight of the importance of connecting with friends and family in person.

Self … Forget about being someone else – just be yourself. When you have the courage to just be who you are, without apology or pretence, so much of the suffering, stress and worry in life simply disappears.

Career/Business …. Treat every workday like a school day, and always be on the lookout to learn something new, however small. It all adds up. Knowledge is power.

Life … Life is so fast paced – make sure you take some time to smell the roses.

Fun … Eat a food you haven’t had since you were a child. You might re-discover something great.
    James likes this.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Having my first latte for 2014 - no sugar.

A new beginning
    A reason for living
    A deeper meaning, yeah

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    this year it's going to be to have as much fun as possible
    Thinking I might go with this, tbh. Spent way too long over the past few years worrying about way too much and haven't enjoyed myself nearly as much as I should have. Given uni is meant to be the best years of your life, I shouldn't waste them.
    wellAlbidarned likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    this year i'm going to listen to the glow pt. 2 as much as possible

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information