Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By smalishah84
  • 2 Post By nightprowler10

Thread: Pakistan's Kalash people - how are they doing?

Pakistan's Kalash people - how are they doing?

So while just browsing around on internet, I learnt about these mysterious, beautiful people of Kalash in Pakistan.

Kalash people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have been preserving their culture over many millennia, following a pre-Islamic polytheistic religion but dwindling in number because of religious conversion. They claim to be descendants of Alexander's army that invaded the region many centuries ago. Their related people in Nuristan (ostensibly called Kafiristan) in Afghanistan have been fully converted to Islam. Half the Kalash have been converted too, but the other half are still resisting.

I wanted to know from our Pakistani friends how are they doing today. They are economically weak, and are also under pressure to convert (see this video: AFGHANS CROSS BORDER TO CONVERT INDIGENOUS KALASH PEOPLE TO ISLAM(PAKISTAN) - YouTube
    ). I also know that there is a group of Pakistani activists (or a government body?) that is fighting for them to be left alone. I am quite intrigued by their culture, and will love to know more.

Fun fact: Contact between men and women is not frowned upon like in surrounding regions. Marriages by elopement are common, even for women already married. When a married woman elopes, her new husband must pay twice as much as the first husband does

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    They seemed to have managed to preserve their customs thus far and the war in the north region seems to have left them in peace so far. Better for them to stay low key these days which they are.

There was a famous song by Vital signs that was filmed there. You can probably find it on youtube with the name of goray rang ka zamana......

But I feel that as with most indigenous culture it will soon fade away as globalization and its effects reach their region
    ankitj likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I always found it amusing when people would say how beautiful Kafiristan is along with its people. If you love it so much how about stop calling it Kafiristan?! [/pointless rant]
    Prince EWS and ankitj like this.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Don't know if it's true, but apparently death is 'celebrated' in Kalaash, and not considered a sad event. There's this whole function, where people dance n stuff because man is going to a better place and deserves to depart in great fashion.

Creepy, yet charming.

Thread Information