Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Worst and Best Major Airports You've Been To

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Bristol is in England, but its standard here. I've had to remove my belt plenty of times

Ill leave you to make your own innuendos, all the ones I just typed and deleted were crap

Pinball Champion!
    Fair enough, I haven't had to do that at Heathrow
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    That surprises me. Tbf it is as annoying as ****, but preferable to being blown up I guess

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Charming as ever.

Most of those security checks are pretty standard whenever I fly?
    You must look really scouse.
    ​63*

I do find England and American airports far stricter with security than Australian ones.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Haven't been to that many airports but the terminal in Kenya's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport which got burnt down was a joke. Good riddance! Gatwick is pretty nice, as is Manchester International.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I do find England and American airports far stricter with security than Australian ones.
    Yeah, we have proper police dogs rather than dingos with sirens strapped to their backs.

Worst is Mexico City.

Best is Hobart merely for the scenic drive into the middle of town. Can't say I enjoy airports as a general rule.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Vancouver has a pretty neat Airport.

Good spacious place, nice decorum, doesn't have ****s for staff members like Heathrow, and is generally very well organized.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Vancouver has a pretty neat Airport.

Good spacious place, nice decorum, doesn't have ****s for staff members like Heathrow, and is generally very well organized.
    Vancouver's nice, but I had a really **** experience with a taxi driver whose car I was herded into by Vancouver Airport staff. The driver proceeded to drive me in the complete wrong direction and then had the gall to try and charge me for the full ride when a sign at the airport said "maximum fare to City $45" or somesuch. Obviously, I only paid the $45 but then he threatened to call the cops, I called his bluff and told him to do just that and he tried to follow me on foot across town for the next 15 minutes. Fortunately, I was taking a sea plane over to Victoria and the people at the seaplane terminal told him to **** right off (in the firmest Canadian way possible).
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    This can get dated and an opinion expressed here can look quite ridiculous a few years later.

In my own country, for example, we had in New Delhi and Mumbai, shining examples of everything a rotten airport should be like. There were others in the country that were even worse but we are talking major airports and these are and were major airports. That has changed with shiny new airports in these and other Indian cities mean that to see the slums of India you need to take wait a bit longer after landing, take a taxi and wait for a few minutes (or more depending upon whether it is Mumbai or Kolkata) :o)

India provided the lousiest airports and it was heart-breaking to travel around the world so regularly and see beautiful terminals in countries much poorer than ours. So lets look at bad airports in countries in the Western world.

I think New York must occupy a pedestal of its own. In JFK, La Guardia and Newark, it has three of the lousiest airports in the world. This is astounding but doesn't stop here. Get out of their airports and get into their metro trains and you know they are consistent in providing ****ty infrastructure to commuters of all types. Most Indians could be forgiven for not insisting on better airports for over half a century because most Indians never got to see any other country's airports - but Americans saw better - many of them did and yet they continue, till this day, with the crappiest infrastructure in their rail and air sectors amongst the wealthier nations of the world - and they will put many poorer countries to shame as well. Yet Americans don't seem to care !!

In Europe, I think there are few airports worse than Paris. Fortunately my 80 odd trips to France did not often force me to land at Charles de Gaulle but whenever I did I was amazed at how bad and consumer unfriendly it was in every way. The airport I normally landed at , Lyon, was no great shakes but it was small, almost never crowded and one did not suffer much. Mostly, however, one took a flight to Geneva, because the place in the French countryside where I almost always had to go was equidistant fro Lyon and Geneva. Geneva airport like most things Swiss was and has always been classy and efficient.

New York gave one choices from three airports and you could choose any of the three lousy ones it offered. Unfortunately there wasn't much else to do. It is sad because New York is one of may favourite cities on the planet :o(
    Last edited by SJS; 21-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Oh. I forgot to name the best.

There are so many but my favourites over three decades of international travel have been Schiphol, Amsterdam, Changi, Singapore and Zurich airport. It is also important to mention the most improved airports. I think London Heathrow (T5) and New Delhi's Terminal 3 are remarkable in how they have moved from what these were like. Of course Delhi airport was terrible but Heathrow was creaking. Both the spanking new airports had initial problems but are really an unbelievable improvement over what they were.
    Last edited by SJS; 21-11-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Changi is ridiculously efficient. It probably receives a LOT of traffic but it wouldn't seem so looking at how quickly you get through with everything.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Worst: LAX, JFK. America

Best: Hong Kong, and surprisingly Sydney International. never had an issue.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Sitting at Pune airport right now, and for a city which is growing quickly the airport is just sad. A sad, little shack
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 02-12-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information