Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Worst and Best Major Airports You've Been To

****ing cockmark
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Wouldn't 4 of them be - Luton (Bedfordshire), Stansted (Essex), Gatwick (W. Sussex) & Southend (Essex)?
    Only Heathrow and City would be even in Greater London
    Yeah I was umming and aahing over Gatwick. It's obviously not actually in London but its near enough to the M25 to be considered.

Even Heathrow is borderline for me, practically in Slough

Gatwick definetly not in London, Heathrow definetly boderline, it is on the tube but I lived very close to it (not in Slough) for 5 years and I was definetly not living in London.

Yeah I think the most acceptable definitions of whether you're in London are either:

A- has a tube/DLR/London Overground stop (or is in the oyster zone)
    B- inside the M25

Heathrow passes and Gatwick fails.

If I ever have meetings in Slough early morning and need a hotel I normally wind up on the strip opposite Heathrow though which is what makes me think of it as Slough.

That's because Heathrow is massive though. You can be 10 miles away and still be opposite Heathrow.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Schipol is the best airport I've ever been to.Is it Gatwick or Stansted that's basically a big box?
    ​63*

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_uTDzsTZNFY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    That's because Heathrow is massive though. You can be 10 miles away and still be opposite Heathrow.
    True enough

Chennai is the worst. It ****ing smells. Had to wait beside a group of people who seemed to be headed to the same place(everyone in the group wore yellow t-shirts)in departure and I almost threw up. None of them had showered for at least a month(even if this doesn't happen, it still smells bad. Poor cleaning issues as well). Then I go up to get a snack and got myself the last box of Ferero Rochers before reaching for my wallet and a 5 year old kid on his dad's shoulders smiles at me and takes it off the counter and his dad paid for it and left. This was late at night. And the air conditioning isn't good in the mornings when you go in there sweating like a pig.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I think the most acceptable definitions of whether you're in London are either:

A- has a tube/DLR/London Overground stop (or is in the oyster zone)
    B- inside the M25

Heathrow passes and Gatwick fails.

If I ever have meetings in Slough early morning and need a hotel I normally wind up on the strip opposite Heathrow though which is what makes me think of it as Slough.
    Well, those definitions are fine. But also whether you're actually in Greater London or not is a good test. Heathrow is in Greater London (London Borough of Hillingdon) and Gatwick is in West Sussex. I'd think Stansted and Luton are about as close to the M25 as Gatwick.

10.2mi M25 to Gatwick
    13.6mi M25 to Luton Airport
    18.7mi M25 to Stansted
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Well, those definitions are fine. But also whether you're actually in Greater London or not is a good test. Heathrow is in Greater London (London Borough of Hillingdon) and Gatwick is in West Sussex. I'd think Stansted and Luton are about as close to the M25 as Gatwick.

10.2mi M25 to Gatwick
    13.6mi M25 to Luton Airport
    18.7mi M25 to Stansted
    Haha fair enough. I've always thought of Gatwick as being just outside London whereas Luton is just a whole other ****ing place. Anyway, there you go

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Haha fair enough. I've always thought of Gatwick as being just outside London whereas Luton is just a whole other ****ing place. Anyway, there you go
    Yeah - I was a bit shocked as to how close to London that Luton is. I think the M25 protrudes a bit to get round Watford which makes the distance a bit shorter.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah I was umming and aahing over Gatwick. It's obviously not actually in London but its near enough to the M25 to be considered.

Even Heathrow is borderline for me, practically in Slough
    If an airport services a major city, then surely for these purposes it's "in" that city?

Anyway, I've never had a drama at Heathrow arrivals (leaving Aus on an Aussie passport and arriving London on an English one helps, as does the traditional arrival time in London out of Australia, which is very early). Had a few delays on departure though, just because it's so ****ing big. That aside, not really had a drama with it and I actually love it because the sheer size of it kind of boggles my mind.

Had a **** time of it in Dublin, but that was mostly because of the blizzard and having to stay over an extra night before getting up at sparrow's to get the first flight next day. Was very chaotic.

I think Sydney is annoying - it's great because it's so close to the city itself, but fmd it's a pain in the arse getting into and out of. It's a great approach though if you jag a northerly approach over the harbour. Melbourne is the same in terms of getting into and out of, only its worse because when you arrive there you realise you're actually in Melbourne.

Found new Honkers airport a very good one - a terrific lounge there where you can have a tub while you wait for your connecting flight (for those of you who have to fly economy). Very clean, and I actually get the impression you could get a massage there with a happy ending if you had time.

Singapore is a great airport. Efficient and well catered for. The monorail makes transiting between terminals really easy.

Agree with Murphy - the best thing in Frankfurt is the self-cleaning, automatic-revolving-seat brascos.

Found the airport in Bangkok a bit annoying tbh, but then again I transitted through when the SARS epidemic was on so people weren't too friendly all round. The air conditioning wasn't working and it was a bastard.

La Paz was pretty primitive when I was there tbh, but that was in 96 so no doubt it's got better. Just scares the **** out of you when you're coming into land and you look out the window and up at the mountains you're flying past. Cuzco in Peru was filthy. Likewise Lima, but hten again Lima is a **** hole itself.

Cape Town was pretty well served for stores and food when I was there, again it was yonks ago though. Joburg airport has a lot going for it because it's the only safe place in Joburg. Same can be said for Rio, though it was bloody chaos when we were there in 96.

Raratonga is a really cool airport - it's the closest one I've been to which resembles that really funny one in the Carib where you lay on the beach and the planes blow swimmers out to sea. Also, because it's one runway in and out and two flights a day, it's very relaxed. You're in the island lifestyle before you're even off the plane.

Auckland was a lot like NZ itself - small, insecure and average at best.

Overall I reckon the best I've traveled through was Hong Kong or Singapore and the worst probably Cuzco or Lima.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

best: dubbo

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    If an airport services a major city, then surely for these purposes it's "in" that city?
    Yeah I just couldn't bear that **** uve to not know the whole truth

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information