Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Monk's Greatest XI songs.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar

Monk's Greatest XI songs.

Following on from the greatest XIs in cricket chat it's time to cross over in to the music world. Here, for your pleasure (hopefully) I present Monk's Greatest XI songs. I began to love music in late primary school when metal ruled my world for a few years, before I discovered that subtlety and artistry could sometimes replace thrash and anger. Around 1991 I discovered bands like REM and Deacon Blue who began to blow my mind with the depth possible in music. After that the whole grunge/Seattle thing happened and I was exactly at the impressionable age where it hit me hard. My world opened, and expanded, as did my mind.

Sometime later my tastes are still pretty eclectic. We'll see how we go with the XI songs, because it could end up being 15. We'll see.

My first choice is a song that fill me with optimism and a sense of personal wellbeing. It's really just the simplest of pop music, any half decent musicians could practice it for half an hour and nail it for a cover show, but they might not capture the sunniness of Dando's voice or the distinct pop sensibilities these guys had. And it just fills me with a heap of joy. Enjoy!

Written by a countrywoman of yours, Robyn St Clair of The Hummingbirds.

Solid choice, tbf. Slightly neglected nowadays, (The) Lemonheads (they belatedly acquired the definite article for the source album of this, Come On Feel The Lemonheads, after four LPs without it), for whatever reason.

Not my fav Leomonheads' tune tho, that'd be My Drug Buddy from It's a Shame About Ray. Possibly the most beautiful and wistful song about scoring dope ever.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cheers Brumby. I only discovered that Robyn St Clair thing recently. The Lemonheads did well with covers.

I saw Fugazi in my home town about 20 years ago. They were on an Australian tour. But if you know the Fugazi story, you know that they weren't playing at any stadiums or arenas, and they certainly weren't being "supported" by Ticketek. From (blurry) memory, it was about $2 to get in, but that didn't stop the guys on the door letting in people who didn't have tickets or enough money. The gig was in the long disused YMCA, and this was definitely before OH&S became a thing. All that aside, Fugazi as a live band were outstanding. So punchy and raw, but tight as a nut. Unreal.

Fugazi are underground and alternative, in the truest senses of the words. Rejecting corporate music companies, record deals, flimclips etc, they self fund and self manage. And along the way they've supported and assisted like minded artists. And in spite of this, they've achieved recognition and made their art accessible.

This tune is Public Witness Program. It captures the essence of Fugazi. Swirling distorted guitar. That post hardcore/punk solo with minimal chops. A really low rumbling bass undercurrent. Tight snappy snare drum. The duelling voices of Picciotto and McKaye. A sense of urgency, and then it's over before you want it to be. Alright?

Thread Information