Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Conversations

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar

Conversations

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha if a non scientific source disclaimer has to always accompany any posts directed at me, that's pretty epic. I'd enjoy having that reputation.

Nah, I think the point I was saying is that often people try too hard in conversation where they are interested in the other party, and it's boring because people realize it and it makes you seem a lot less confident. The trick is to have a conversation that's flowing but where you're in control of the flow and direction, without making it seem like you're doing it. That's an art. Some people are just natural conversationalists where they can do that in all situations. Most people can do that in settings where they're completely comfortable (out with friends talking about the game), but most can't in a situation like a 'date' (or a job interview, or a presentation - a surprisingly similar set of skills are needed IMO) - or at least not as well. Some can naturally, which works out for them really nicely. Most of the rest of us have to work on it for a few years (e.g high school, maybe some college ) until we figure out how to behave in those situations. And being better at that will help you in all sorts of situations, not just in your romantic life.

And yes, I do find most people boring in conversations.
    And I don't really know if other people find me boring, I never let them get enough words in to find out .
    This has nothing to do with girl trouble so taking this here.

"And yes, I do find most people boring in conversations."

Again curious as to why. There are a couple of possibilities

a) you have a high IQ and rapidly tire of vapid comments. You do best in academic settings with other people with multiple degrees.

b) There is a communication style clash. Perhaps you didn't grow up in the states? or you grew up with a different upbringing. I grew up in NZ and when I did my mba in the states i found conversations with the US students a chore. Their objective in the conversation seemed to be to make sage concise comments where each word is measured and parsimoniously dished out as a morsel to be treasured. I personally want to have a good chin wag and would prefer colourful stories with huge embellishments and feel at home conversing in nz. Am just fishing with this reason.

c) You just aren't interested in other people's stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Jesus.
    Daemon, Dan, Prince EWS and 6 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Jesus.

Haha

you don't have to answer - was just thinking about this on the train today.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Jesus.
    Apparently he dislikes you (DCYE to confirm)
    Last edited by Dan; 12-06-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Well if we must do a public psychoanalysis of my conversation skills...

a) That statement (about finding everyone else boring) was meant to be a joke....
    b) I clearly said that in company of friends and relaxed atmosphere, most people do just fine in conversations....the statement was about how a lot of people can get awkward when trying to talk during dates...and how you can improve there
    c) I do tend to hang out with academia types more often than not, but I certainly don't find people outside academia to be boring (though I may find certain topics boring)
    d) If I do find something boring, it's not cause I think I'm so much smarter than everyone else (I've said in the past that IQ tests are bunk anyway IMO)
    e) You should see my 'debates' with Precambrian if you think I get tired of talking to people without multiple degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Apparently he dislikes you.
    The feeling's mutual.

EDIT: DCYE??
    Last edited by silentstriker; 12-06-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Well if we must do a public psychoanalysis of my conversation skills...

a) That statement (about finding everyone else boring) was meant to be a joke....
    b) I clearly said that in company of friends and relaxed atmosphere, most people do just fine in conversations....the statement was about how a lot of people can get awkward when trying to talk during dates...and how you can improve there
    c) I do tend to hang out with academia types more often than not, but I certainly don't find people outside academia to be boring (though I may find certain topics boring)
    d) If I do find something boring, it's not cause I think I'm so much smarter than everyone else (I've said in the past that IQ tests are bunk anyway IMO)
    e) You should see my 'debates' with Precambrian if you think I get tired of talking to people without multiple degrees...
    Apologies for putting you under the spotlight - didn't realise it was a joke. My bad.

Cheers

International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Not sure if this thread was purely for SS or not, but anyway, I think I'm pretty good with conversation (except groups, I never say anything in those). But I'm not always one to involve myself too deeply.

a. Given I'm still in school, the multiple degree stuff doesn't really apply, but the factionalism within student bodies means I don't talk to three quarters of the students in my year. But whenever I talk with those outside my clique, I can easily hold my own. The natural smart ego most people have also affects me, I often turn away from conversation if I feel that they wouldn't be able to engage in the sorts of things I would talk about.

b. Rather than conversation styles, I find settings to be a crucial factor, I can't talk at parties, but when me and some random are in a similar situation (maybe like a co-worker I've never worked with) then conversation is easy I find.

c. I'm generally very interested in other people's stories, I however have trouble telling my own and I constantly think my own life isn't interesting enough to constitute talking about myself.

Just my 2 cents...
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    The feeling's mutual.

EDIT: DCYE??
    I was referring to this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    ftr, I originally signed up to CW under the username 'jesusdislikesyou' but had my username forcibly changed by James to be the same as my email before I'd even made a post.
    And then realised that, shorn of context, it sounds plainly offensive (and rather stupid). Hence the edit to try and show it was referring to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Not sure if this thread was purely for SS or not, but anyway, I think I'm pretty good with conversation (except groups, I never say anything in those). But I'm not always one to involve myself too deeply.

a. Given I'm still in school, the multiple degree stuff doesn't really apply, but the factionalism within student bodies means I don't talk to three quarters of the students in my year. But whenever I talk with those outside my clique, I can easily hold my own. The natural smart ego most people have also affects me, I often turn away from conversation if I feel that they wouldn't be able to engage in the sorts of things I would talk about.

b. Rather than conversation styles, I find settings to be a crucial factor, I can't talk at parties, but when me and some random are in a similar situation (maybe like a co-worker I've never worked with) then conversation is easy I find.

c. I'm generally very interested in other people's stories, I however have trouble telling my own and I constantly think my own life isn't interesting enough to constitute talking about myself.

Just my 2 cents...
    I was hoping it would start with some questions to SS and evolve into a free for all about conversations.

"I think I'm pretty good with conversation (except groups, I never say anything in those)"

I find groups easier because then you only need to chip in when you have something funny to say. Sometimes it is hard to get your piece in though to if everyone else wants to get in there.

International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I was hoping it would start with some questions to SS and evolve into a free for all about conversations.

"I think I'm pretty good with conversation (except groups, I never say anything in those)"

I find groups easier because then you only need to chip in when you have something funny to say. Sometimes it is hard to get your piece in though to if everyone else wants to get in there.
    Group conversations just spiral out of control for me, and they evolve into things I can no longer contribute to, they are glorious while on topic though, anything more than of group of 5 generally means I'm redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Group conversations just spiral out of control for me, and they evolve into things I can no longer contribute to, they are glorious while on topic though, anything more than of group of 5 generally means I'm redundant.
    Groups of 10 or so are pretty tough. Usually only the extroverted go for it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    This is the most socially awkward thread I have ever read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    You should re-acquaint yourself with Cribb's early threads.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    a) ouch
    b) I already apologized
    c) You have had your moments http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/off-...-forum-version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information