Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Would You Choose To Study?

still scratching around in the same old hole

Where Would You Choose To Study?

I live in Malaysia. Malaysia is trying very hard to be a global educational hub. Foreign students from places like Nigeria and Iran are subsidized and it is cheaper for them to study here than local Malaysians. Malaysians, on the other hand want to study in the UK, Aus and to a lesser extent the US.

If you had to study outside your own country, where would it be -- either in the future or as a do over?

I did both undergrad and post grad in the UK and I am a US citizen but I wouldn't want to study there. I guess if I had my time again I would like to do a degree in, possibly, Ireland. Not exciting I suppose but it is either there or the Philippines.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I live in Malaysia. Malaysia is trying very hard to be a global educational hub. Foreign students from places like Nigeria and Iran are subsidized and it is cheaper for them to study here than local Malaysians. Malaysians, on the other hand want to study in the UK, Aus and to a lesser extent the US.

If you had to study outside your own country, where would it be -- either in the future or as a do over?

I did both undergrad and post grad in the UK and I am a US citizen but I wouldn't want to study there. I guess if I had my time again I would like to do a degree in, possibly, Ireland. Not exciting I suppose but it is either there or the Philippines.
    Depends. At the undergraduate level, I'd maybe want to try the UK, or maybe another part of Europe...maybe Australia too. Post undergraduate level (especially phd level), I would only ever study in the US barring exceptional circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Cricketer mightymariner's Avatar
    I'd quite like to study in France.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Berkley or MIT. No question.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    I did my undergrad in Canada. At the time I was applying to universities, I was only ever considering two countries - Canada and the US. Undergraduate education in both the countries is largely standardized with very little difference in my opinion, unless you go to a tier 1 US school like one of the Ivy Leagues, MIT, etc. So the more expensive tuition at US schools, despite the quality of education being the same at the undergraduate level, had me decide against it. Apparently some of these top tier US schools have rampant grade inflation. Something you don't hear of at Canadian schools. One thing I do like about US schools is that most of them seem to have a 16 weeks per term structure, as opposed to the 12 weeks per term structure here. This allows you to better absorb the material. But there's a trade-off as it amounts to less internship experience over the summer. But one thing a lot of Canadian schools are now implementing is a co-op program, where you alternate between study and work terms, this is especially useful for engineering and business program as it connects you with employers early on.

With that said, as I look to pursue my MBA in a few years, I would only ever study in the US. But that's mainly because I want to aim for one of the top tiers. And, like SS, for me that goes for most post-grad degrees if I was to pursue. Med school being one exception. But Canadian med schools are a lot more difficult to get into, far more selective as there are less spots, so most med school aspirants here end up going to the US.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'm going to NUS next year, but if I didn't have to think of costs I'd like to study in the US or Australia. Don't think I'd like UK's weather too much

Maybe if I pursue further studies which is supposedly when a uni choice is actually more important. Dunno yet. Not ruling out signing on to my current job and pursuing a degree on the side as well.
    Last edited by Daemon; 07-06-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Yeah I lived with a Malaysian girl studying in the UK. She didn't think twice about moving when the opportunity came up. According to her finding white people hugely attractive was a major pull for school leavers there.

I'd go anywhere as long as it was a decent uni and size of city outside the UK+Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    My preference would be a top tier US school at least after undergraduate. I feel they offer the best programs and the competition and quality of peer students is pretty good which makes it a very good place to study.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    I did my undergrad at The University of Auckland. If I was to do postgraduate study it would be at CU (Colorado University). Their Boulder campus is beautiful and it's a party school. It's also only a 25min drive from my home.

TBH, I enjoy working more that studying, so it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    I did my undergrad at The University of Auckland. If I was to do postgraduate study it would be at CU (Colorado University). Their Boulder campus is beautiful and it's a party school. It's also only a 25min drive from my home.
    Undergrad is usually the time to look for party schools. Doubt you'll have much time to party as a graduate student

Speaking of campuses, Stanford's the most beautiful one I've visited. Johns Hopkins is meh, but I love the running trails in and around the area.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Undergrad is usually the time to look for party schools. Doubt you'll have much time to party as a graduate student

Speaking of campuses, Stanford's the most beautiful one I've visited. Johns Hopkins is meh, but I love the running trails in and around the area.
    There's always time to party!

The CU campus is nestled in the foothills of the rocky mountains, it's gorgeous. Trails up the wazoo, too.

Nice!
    Last edited by Turbinator; 07-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Am quite fortunate to have studied in two rather pleasant locales.

Unfortunately, my current office is somewhat less aesthetically pleasing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    USP: The University of the South Pacific

Mate of mine just commenced a post-doc here. Loves his surf.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

McGill university in Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information