Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Back when I was studying the discount was 20% which is not something to sneeze about. The current 10% definitely less of an incentive.
    Down to 0% now as a budget saving. It will end up costing the bottom line as people who would have paid ahead will now defer payment.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Hm stupid of me to skip this thread. Just read back, top advice.

Managed to jump through one hoop of interviews recently, despite doing a **** job on the phone. So got another, am trying to do it on Skype rather than phone because I'd like the face-to-face interaction. Good idea? At least I can find out which points I can expound on.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Unemployment Update Day 33: The Barren Seas.

Still unemployed. To be fair I took off on a 3 week Overseas trip on the back of Redundancy money at the urging of Mrs Ripper after wallwoing on the couch for 3 days in self pity.

Last week has been resumes and cover letters and researching ways of how to be more better on Linkedin (my profile views went from an average of 4 per week to 35 in this last week)
    Still financially sound as my payout has me covered for at least the next 3 months (penny pinching here and there has helped).

If anyone hears of sports management/event opportunities (I guess it doesn't hurt to reveal now I was working at the Reds previously) in Sydney or the UK I'm happy to have a chat.

Love yous all
    Last edited by ripper868; 05-06-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: may not love all of yous
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    best of luck ripper. Keep trying, you never know who wants you.

probably could get a gig organising the blues series win celebrations tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Update Day it's been too ****ing long.

Movement on the western front.

After sending out about 30-40 tailored resumes I finally got a nibble and an interview. Interview was meant to go for an hour, it went an hour and a half and have been called back for 2nd round on Wednesday. Feeling positive. Need to make a presentation on something that I find out about on Monday,

Now the big issue is finding.a flat in Sydney. Everywhere is just **** expensive and has about 29375 other people inspecting them as well.

Never the less. It's something!
    Flem274*, Dan and Agent Nationaux like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Update?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Freelance nation: When good jobs turn to bad - Salon.com

Seeing this here too, increased casualisation of the workforce and all that. My last job at The University of SA, the whole section was casual. In theory, a higher hourly rate and getting paid for the hours you work sounds great as a trade-off for no sick leave, etc. (more hours = more $!) but UniSA restricted it by saying you couldn't work before 8am or after 5pm which completely negates the incentive to even consider being casual if you don't have to.

I'm luck I don't have to stay casual in my field but others, it's not just a rite of passage any more but is the job. That and they're lucky to get it with the massive increase in unpaid internships which, of course, lead nowhere. The job market, from what I gather, goes through this sort of revolution every once in a while, eventually you'd hope employers will respond by realising that happy employees make good employees and nothing makes employees happier than having some job security, ability to take out loans and lines of credit to improve their lives, etc. I guess it just takes a bit of time before employers are able to factor in such things.

Paul Krugman's Tremendous Advice To Everyone Who Writes | Business Insider Australia

Have found this to be true in my field; yes, even in scientific writing you need to be appealing to journals and not just dryly report the results of your study. Thoughts from those in other fields?

Working a job atm which I was told was £Aph with 11% deducted for NI. However, a load of the other employees are on a flat rate of £Bph.
    We are meant to be paid weekly, each Friday for the previous week's work but this never happens.
    Not one of the times I've been paid has it been correct.
    At one point I was owed 3 days wages, the following week I was expecting X-amount but I was instead paid at the £B rate with no deductions and thus received Y-more than I expected.
    I deducted Y from the owed money and chased up the difference and then once I found out that I was paid differently for that week tried to claim Y as it wasn't actually any of the pay that I was owed, when I believed it was.
    Am now in the position where I've received £Axhoursx0.89 (i.e. what I should have) but I'm wondering :
    (a) What to do about the supposed difference in pay between myself and others.
    (b) If I'm ever going to see the money that I've been taxed? Especially for the week where I was paid at the different rate with no deductions etc.

A different problem is that I have a second job which I'm currently 'in training' for. It's NMW (£4. 98)and so less well paid than my other job. ATM the second job have scheduled me to work a handful of hours across Weds/Thurs/Fri and so if I were to do it I'd earn the equivalent of a third of what I would if I were to work Job1 instead. This is despite the fact I was upfront at interview about my other job and my need to be earning.
    The issue is I don't want to tell Job2 to stick it because Job1 is not a permanent thing and is due to finish in a few weeks whereas Job2 is much more long-term with a possibility of transferring up to continue to work while at Uni and with progression prospects etc. Really don't know how to best balance it but that's a personal decision I'll have to come to I guess.
    Last edited by Marcuss; 20-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    So, in short, the main problem is they're paying you in algebra?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Alphabetti spaghetti imo.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    How did the presentation go Ripper. Hope you got the job!!!

cpr
    Right, time for a dig, because I need a new job. Won't go into too much detail here why I hate it so, but never in my life have I had a job where I actually hate going in - I've been bored, frustrated, restless etc, but never downright hate for the role and those about me.

I've only been here a year n all.

So advice needed. Where's best for finding a decent job? Anyone had any experience with job sites such as Monster etc, or would I be wasting my time? Remember you're talkign to a career Civil Servant here who's used to everything handed to him on a plate, so I'm clueless when it comes to looking for myself in the big bad world.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    are you willing to move out of the UK?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information