Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    If such a thing is going around, you'd think they had enough confidence to make it go through?

Also, if it fails, there's always the FM "vote of confidence" effect - the boss' position has been made more precarious by it becoming public knowledge that something had to be done.

(And thirdly, a place where you would be blacklisted forever for such an action sounds like a hellish place to work)
    Haha, forgot about this. But as it happened the bloke got sacked before I had to make my mind up re: signing/not signing.

And I no longer work there myself these days.

Tournaments Won: 1
    I dodged a massive bullet when it comes to jobs over the past few months.

A few months ago I moved from a digital marketing agency (content marketing) to a highly reputable journalism publication (I studied journalism).

The publication continues to grow from strength to strength and I'm loving it here; meanwhile the agency just had to cut nearly a quarter of its workforce. Given that I would have only progressed from intern to permanent at the end of last year, and fellow former interns were canned, I quite likely would have been among those cut.

Pretty happy with how things turned out, although I feel terrible for some good friends who were among those cut.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    See this guy? Don’t work for this guy. Definitely complains on Monday if you didn’t answer his emails on Sunday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/smal...02-p519z8.html
    Ironically enough I read this during one of those microbreaks this afternoon.

In all seriousness, outcomes > presenteeism.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Sigh. If there is a problem that I am the right person to solve, I will get a call no matter which day it is and what time of the day it is. I am also expected to constantly check my phone for emails, messages, etc. Wonders of working at a 24/7 facility.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Sigh. If there is a problem that I am the right person to solve, I will get a call no matter which day it is and what time of the day it is. I am also expected to constantly check my phone for emails, messages, etc. Wonders of working at a 24/7 facility.
    The real irritation is when there are other people who can solve the problem and you still get the call......
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think theyíve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

This has been going on for 8 years, so I made a big stink about it a few years ago and personally trained people to solve most of the problems themselves, created documentation to help them, etc. Now it's just the really tricky stuff that I would rather they call me for anyway.
    StephenZA likes this.

See this guy? Donít work for this guy. Definitely complains on Monday if you didnít answer his emails on Sunday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/smal...02-p519z8.html
    Pardon my language, but this guy is an example of what I call modern day socially-acceptable type of white-collar slave-traders.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Ironically enough I read this during one of those microbreaks this afternoon.

In all seriousness, outcomes > presenteeism.
    Curtailment of breaks is bad enough but when it's coupled with the expectation that you're available all the time, **** you. The guy in the article stinks of someone who's looking to squeeze his workers.

I mean, just look at what this scumbag says.

This is no trivial issue. Various United States studies have shown significant lost productivity from workplace time-wasting. US staffing firm OfficeTeam in 2017 released a study showing the average employee can waste more than eight hours a work week on activities unrelated to their job.

Put another way, some employees who work a 36-hour week could easily waste almost a quarter of that time. And we wonder why fewer companies want to hire full-time staff or prefer to replace them with robots who work 24/7.
    Unpaid weekend work/overtime absolutely conspicuous by its absence in both his article and the 'study' he references.
    Dan likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    The real irritation is when there are other people who can solve the problem and you still get the call......
    Used to get this in my old job all the time.

Given the lack of discipline for poor performance, this just created perverse incentives to deliberately perform poorly.

- Linkedin has been an utter waste of time for me. I've got a decently-ish filled-out profile and get contacted regularly from recruiters who keep trying to add me to their network purely to bolster it (they ask everyone, believe me it's not because I'm just that brilliant they can't resist). Not been a single solid opportunity, people have asked me to send them an EOI or something similar then don't get back. I've personally found, in my field at least, informal contacts matter. Not networks (i.e. people you handed your card to at conferences) but people you know, who know you, and what you can do. Put the word out when you're scratching around for work to them first, cultivate them, be nice to them and reciprocate when they're asking you. Treat them like they are your friends because, really, they should be. Every job I've had for the last 8 years has been found this way; quick email to my friends has generally turned up a few things, even getting jobs I wasn't really the perfect fit skills-wise for.
    Chalk up another for networks bois, am starting a post doc in tropical Dresden in just over a week.

Met a dude who was teaching a course I did a couple of years ago. Was applying for others but figured you never know so despite nothing on his lab page, dropped him a how are ya email. Turns out he had a few projects going that he wasn’t sure what to do with and just hadn’t advertised yet. A few emails later, interview with him and the boss and it went from there.

Of the cold applications I’d sent, maybe half got a response. Even to labs who knew my supervisor. Of those, I interviewed with a few and got knocked back for all of them. Was fed other places to apply but Dresden fits so I took it.

Even in academia where pubs and quals are the only game in town, still reassuring that it works how the rest of the world works too. Aside from this dude, I had other people I know keeping an eye out for spots too and one place I interviewed for came from a conference contact at my poster. Professors get absolutely hammered by people asking them for **** and often won’t even respond. Be nice, open mind, have a chat and see where it goes has worked for me in finding stuff to at least follow-up with.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 22-06-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    zorax likes this.

Incidentally, I’d led to believe what I said on LinkedIn might be out of date, that it’s becoming pretty useful. Fair or not?

After some frustrating time of applying for jobs, I have an interview this month. I hope no one minds me digging this thread up to make it easier for me to find it to read through later. I spent a while looking for it and even rediscovered that legendary Cas thread haha.
    zorax and Daemon like this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Had an interview about 4 weeks ago, got the job (there were several on offer). Apparently I undersold myself a little, which I tend to do but it all worked out. $21k salary bump and I get to keep doing my contract work which pays for holidays and house renos.
    harsh.ag, andmark, hendrix and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Had an interview about 4 weeks ago, got the job (there were several on offer). Apparently I undersold myself a little, which I tend to do but it all worked out. $21k salary bump and I get to keep doing my contract work which pays for holidays and house renos.
    Very nice. Congrats!

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread Information