Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Presentations for these things are all about enthusiasm. It might sound wishy washy, but I'm pretty sure if you were the one assessing interviewees, you'd be more inclined to give a job to the candidate who really seemed enthused by what they were doing, rather than one going through the motions and delivering everything in a monotone voice.
    Yes but at no point was I monotone. I remember changing my pitch, moving around the room, using the flip chart, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Didn't say didn't. Just as a general rule, enthusiasm translates into positive energy for these sorts of things, and that is what people pick up on. Not that you'd want to overdo it either, that may even be worse than the monotone.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The years in between being a quality and reliability engineer and what I do now were filled with sports coaching. I didnt think that it was networking but when you are meeting hundreds of people then that is what it was.

People generally don't want to talk business but people do want to do business, work with and help people they like. TC is right regarding informal contacts as long as you are not transparently using them.
    Yeah, it's exactly what I was getting at. I know I get hit up all the time from 'networking' types and it's actually annoying. Generally feel pretty used when that's the only time I ever hear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I'm interested in the opinion's of others regarding charity work for experience. I'm not a fan. To me, when I read that, it smacks of not being able to find work and doing charity work for completely the wrong motives and comes across as a little ****ish. The "yes, I did charity work to bolster my CV" can appear a bit self absorbed and devious.
    Agree in general, though SS's point is a good one. Resume building, most people know what that smells like and the old saying about fooling people comes to mind.

On self-learning, if there's one group of people who know all about this sort of thing it's commercial pilots. Your average pilot's career will have several enforced career breaks (furloughs, as the the Americans call it) and in that downtime, many pilots will beg/borrow/steal some cash to get some additions to their licenses to make them more employable when the market is more favourable. So if they have a bare CPL + 350hrs, they'll do a CIR and some gratis meat bombing, coming back into the market with more hours and an instrument rating.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Regarding presentations, this is an area I think I am pretty good in. I enjoy speaking to both small or large groups, with PowerPoint or sans tools, to children or TV cameras etc

I am continually practicing my presentation skills but I never practice or rehearse the presentation I am going to give. However, I make sure I know the topic well. I think that is the key. For a speech or presentation to be fresh and interesting to the audience I think it has to be fresh to the speaker. Over rehearsal or, even worse, panicking about not forgetting anything suck the life out of public speaking. Once I realized this then I improved dramatically. It isn't about getting every one of your 20 points across but about engaging the audience and that needs to be done as naturally as possible. Of course, you will have prepared and have the background knowledge but appearing to confidently speak extemperaniously is powerful.

Edit - I know it sounds obvious but presentation skills are different to report writing skills. It doesn't have the depth and people don't have the attention or capacity to consume everything you say. Presentation is about knowing your key points, repeating them in a variety of ways and getting them to listen. Details can be dealt with in follow ups. It may be an oversimplification but unless you say a point 3 times then people don't remember.
    Last edited by Goughy; 01-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Again, gold star stuff from Goughy. Nothing more to add.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    This might be a little off topic but having been in Dubai for the last 2 years I can see that this place is beginning to boom again (at least the last 6 months and it only seems to be moving up). There is a huge demand for western expats here and they can get good salary packages and the best part is that it is tax free so you get to keep everything yourself. American nationals do have to pay 10% tax on their earnings above 90k dollars (the UK nationals don't pay any tax to their govt and out of a population of 6 million here about 240,000 are British) I think so you might want to check up on your country's tax laws but the UAE is worth having a shot at if you are looking for a life with good money and a good work life balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatr...irates#British

You might want to try monstergulf to see if there is something you might be interested in if looking to work in the GCC region.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 02-05-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    My question for this thread:

So I'm a Uni student, and like all Uni students I'm pretty poor and need money to pay for the copious amounts of booze I'm supposed to consume (or in my case, pay Uni fees to avoid a massive HECS debt and save for a car).

But somehow I don't think my slightly more farsighted motivations compared to my peers is likely to score me employment. So what can a Uni student with no completed tertiary qualifications and roughly the same experience as the next guy do to stand out from the job seeking crowd?

depends what work you're trying to achieve, but even just in a bar or a shop the basics of punctuality, reliability, flexibility, honesty, loyalty and a willingness to learn and put in effort goes a long way to any job. but if you've made it this far without a job at all it's a gap already
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Hit up some research groups in the field of your degree around the Uni, usually some data-entry work about the place. Can give you an in for doing more advanced work too.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Human Resources are the absolute dregs of commerce grads. Not good enough for middle management, crunching numbers, closing a deal, innovating new products or you know, basic goods and services. And who's going to fire them?

In lieu of contributing more to the economy than a benefits recipient, you'd think they'd actually have time to respond to an application within a single financial quarter.

The most I've gleaned from their practical skills is doublespeak explaining why a hot blonde got an entry-level role over you despite using her parents as references. But I'm told the standard of applicants was very high and they wish we could all work for them and etc.

Conga line of suckholes.

Agree completely. Given they're responsible for me meeting some of the ****ing retards they give employment to in different places around the country, I've never quite been able to work out what exactly it is they do.

You'd think, in a lot of cases, the owner of a business would be better off sticking all the resumes they receive on a wall and throwing a dart at one, rather than leaving it up to HR.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

When I was in the Uni I got a small piece of advice from an experienced professional that has helped me in all interviews ever since:

If there's one personal trait that almost every interviewer is (consciously or unconsciously) looking for in a candidate that quality is 'maturity'. Never act childish, or sweet in interviews - act mature. Act like someone who can handle any project with utmost responsibility, someone who is willing to independently 'run the show'. Act as someone who hates being spoon-fed, someone who doesn't wait for manager's instructions to do something. Don't behave like you're having an important conversation with your father/uncle, behave like you're having an important business meeting with a stranger - if that makes sense. If you're nervous during an interview, use that nervous energy to bring focus. Nervous smiles are complete no-no in interviews.

That's a generic point about most job interviews, but extremely helpful IMO.
    Last edited by weldone; 09-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    My question for this thread:

So I'm a Uni student, and like all Uni students I'm pretty poor and need money to pay for the copious amounts of booze I'm supposed to consume (or in my case, pay Uni fees to avoid a massive HECS debt and save for a car).

But somehow I don't think my slightly more farsighted motivations compared to my peers is likely to score me employment. So what can a Uni student with no completed tertiary qualifications and roughly the same experience as the next guy do to stand out from the job seeking crowd?
    @Dan - like Weldone I will give you some advice I got in first year. Just take any summer job doing anything, washing dishes, cleaning cars, it doesn't matter. You just want money really. Don't think about fit with your career or resumes or anything. Just hit the streets dress nicely and you will find something.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    @Dan - like Weldone I will give you some advice I got in first year. Just take any summer job doing anything, washing dishes, cleaning cars, it doesn't matter. You just want money really. Don't think about fit with your career or resumes or anything. Just hit the streets dress nicely and you will find something.
    Just my opinion, if you want something middling then filling a resume is one way to go. If you want something special, and special depends completely on the person and what they want, then luck, being creative and talented, getting to know people in your industry is far more important.

For a career, you don't employ someone for the job they are interviewing for. You interview them for their capabilities to be snr management or a decision maker some day. In my limited experience, interviewing well - and I have had **** interviews - and showing talent for the next level is what gets you the job. Not necessarily a CV of irrelevant work exp that shows you can work hard. A pit pony works hard but you wouldn't want them running the business in 15 yrs.

Edit - I don't mean the pricks who say in the interview that they want the boss' job in 5 yrs. Drive and ambition are different beasts to talent and capability. Ambition is naked without talent.
    Last edited by Goughy; 10-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Yeah, agreed. In career-type roles, nobody respects a resume builder. No mate, listing all 5 versions of Microsoft Windows you've used doesn't make you 'a bit of an IT geek'.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 10-05-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    When I was in the Uni I got a small piece of advice from an experienced professional that has helped me in all interviews ever since:

If there's one personal trait that almost every interviewer is (consciously or unconsciously) looking for in a candidate that quality is 'maturity'. Never act childish, or sweet in interviews - act mature. Act like someone who can handle any project with utmost responsibility, someone who is willing to independently 'run the show'. Act as someone who hates being spoon-fed, someone who doesn't wait for manager's instructions to do something. Don't behave like you're having an important conversation with your father/uncle, behave like you're having an important business meeting with a stranger - if that makes sense. If you're nervous during an interview, use that nervous energy to bring focus. Nervous smiles are complete no-no in interviews.

That's a generic point about most job interviews, but extremely helpful IMO.
    I would add the addendum to stuff like this - 'unless you're a gun'. Even then, have to be careful because your margin for mistakes shrinks in relation to how much of a gun you are.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information