Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon attacked

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Tragic stuff but something has to be mentioned.

31 people were killed yesterday in suicide attacks in Iraq. An earthquake in Iran has killed hundreds according to officials. And last week eleven innocent children were killed in an airstrike in Afghanistan. Why is it when three die in America there's world wide up to the minute coverage, yet when hundreds die in lesser known countries noone seems to give a ****?
    Last edited by cover drive man; 16-04-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

People like to be able to identify what it is that's a threat to them though. Nobody's saying it would be better if it was a terror attack orchestrated overseas or whatever but it lends itself to the whole "War against Terror" and all the other stuff that goes on with it like patriotism and what not. Plus then if they're then captured/punished there's some form of retribution.

An unprovoked, unexplained, unexpected bomb attack by an unknown perpetrator causes all sorts of issues in people's minds I'd expect. Not that your run-of-the-mill stereotyped terrorist attack wouldn't either. But, yeah.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I just feel like if AQ did it, I'd be like "well ok they're probably not coming back here anytime soon". But if some insane local did it?

also tragedies
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The unspoken public (or media) implication is that American lives are more important than middle eastern lives or in the case of tropical storms, carribean lives.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    An unprovoked, unexplained, unexpected bomb attack by an unknown perpetrator causes all sorts of issues in people's minds I'd expect. Not that your run-of-the-mill stereotyped terrorist attack wouldn't either.
    Well, this is the crux of the matter for mine, so I just thought it was curious to "hope" that a particular party was responsible, since the feelings of panic and insecurity would undoubtedly be caused regardless.

That's my take on it anyway, and am fortunate to be giving it from a position where I've not experienced such atrocities first-hand.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Tragic stuff but something has to be mentioned.

31 people were killed yesterday in suicide attacks in Iraq. An earthquake in Iran has killed hundreds according to officials. And last week eleven innocent children were killed in an airstrike in Afghanistan. Why is it when three die in America there's world wide up to the minute coverage, yet when hundreds die in lesser known countries noone seems to give a ****?
    It's also because it's more out of the ordinary here. A bomb blast in Israel gets less coverage than the one in the US for that same reason. And one in Iraq even less so.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

It's not particularly often eleven innocent children are killed in a nato airstrike though.

Anyone hear the explosives expert on BBC Radio 2 the day? He reckoned due to the smoke being white this indicated low level explosives which points towards an American extrremist as opposed to something Al Qaida linked.

Although I'm not sure it matters who did it, a life taken is a life taken, no matter the reason.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    i'd rather it be an terrorist organisation,instead of a random nutter who will still be in the area, and who may only get caught by doing more attacks
    An organisation behind the attacks is more frightening because they would have resources to repeat the atrocity. A nutter would most likely get caught the next time he/she tries it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

It's not particularly often eleven innocent children are killed in a nato airstrike though.
    This has become a regular occurrence now.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    An organisation behind the attacks is more frightening because they would have resources to repeat the atrocity. A nutter would most likely get caught the next time he/she tries it.
    That was basically my point and with the London Marathon this weekend if it was a group like AQ they may have that as the next target.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    An organisation like AQ would have the resources to make such an attack irrespective if they were behind the events in Boston though. Similarly, if they were the ones who targeted the Boston marathon, it doesn't necessarily make them more, or less, likely to target the London one.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    The unspoken public (or media) implication is that American lives are more important than middle eastern lives or in the case of tropical storms, carribean lives.
    Lets be honest. Bombs and loss of life in the Middle East is hardly breaking news these days. There's no implication that US lives are more important than others. Unfortunately, such events occurring in Iraq or Afghanistan have become run of the mill, even ordinary to the norm.

I may be a bad person but I barely raise an eyebrow when I hear about death in such countries. It's normal.
    Last edited by GotSpin; 16-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    Lets be honest. Bombs and loss of life in the Middle East is hardly breaking news these days. There's no implication that US lives are more important than others. Unfortunately, such events occurring in Iraq or Afghanistan have become run of the mill, even ordinary to the norm.

I may be a bad person but I barely raise an eyebrow when I hear about death in such countries. It's normal.
    You aren't the only one. All I can do is feel bad and just turn the page.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Some of it also has to do with, sad to say, the value each government places on the lives of its citizens.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information