Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Blade Runner arrested over death of girlfriend

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    When I first saw his defence on twitter I actually thought it was a particularly tasteless parody.
    Have seen worse.....and then watched them get a jury onside anyway. Makes one philosophical.

I love where this case is going. It will be very interesting indeed how the defence deal with the prosthetic legs issue; if the forensics do confirm the downward trajectory of the shots, it directly contradicts Pistorus' claim he was on his stumps yet if he changes his story and claims he had time to put his legs on, it strengthens the prosecutions claim of premeditation.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 20-02-2013 at 04:44 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I find it interesting that all of the people in here condemning the possibility of someone considering a noise in their house as an intruder all grew up and live in countries where crime is comparatively waaaaayyyy lower than South Africa.

I'm not siding either way, I honestly don't give a **** about any of this, but you're all so quick to point the finger definitively but you have no idea what growing up in a crime-riddled country can do your psyche.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

hey i lived in wollongong
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    but you're all so quick to point the finger definitively but you have no idea what growing up in a crime-riddled country can do your psyche.

non having no legs
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

BBC News - Pistorius witness heard 'non-stop' argument before shooting

Hmm, guess he had an argument with the "burglar" before shooting then.
    Has since been confirmed that the "witness" lives nearly half a kilometre away

Must have super hearing

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Plausible my cock.

So worried about burglars he sleeps with the window open and ladders up against his house?

So devoted to his "beloved Reeva" he doesn't think to check if she's beside him when he wakes up "realising someone's in the house" or that she's ok before he opens up and starts blazing away?
    From my own experience, ladders and open windows are a lot less of an issue when the burglar bars are on - though of course never a good idea. A window without burglar bars is a cause of nightly anxiety and sleepless nights. I'm not saying he didn't commit murder. However, I am saying that having one room, in this case the bathroom, in the house without burglar bars and hearing noises coming from there would cause every alarm bell to go off and the **** to hit the fan. Full blown panic would happen. Having lived in Pretoria and having friends subject to violent crime then I'm not sure how rationally I would act.

I never owned a gun in SA, and I still never have, but I know plenty who did and I know people including the police who advocated shooting first and asking questions a very distant second.

I personally was advised that even if I saw a shadow in the garden that I should shoot first then fire a warning shot in the wall and then investigate. Of course this offended my very British sensibilities but frankly when your neighbors are getting murdered and raped then British sensibilities are out of their element.

SA can be a terrifying place to live and don't let the stories of an affluent gated community mislead you. Gated communities are subject to as much, if not more, violent crime and home invasions. Guards and gates do not buy safety. They buy a false peace of mind and that is as good as you can hope for.

Perhaps a rolled up copy of the Guardian and some stinging one liners would be a more effective method of self defense? Frankly, he very well may have committed premeditated murder but I dont know and I don't particularly care. However, I do believe his defense is plausible whether is is credible or not is up to a jury.
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Interesting post that.

How long did you live in SA for Goughy, just out of interest?

I've never been, and don't particularly intend to, but it's interesting to hear the accounts of others insofar as they tend to fall into two distinct categories. The first being that it's a paradise and so on, and the second being that the violent crime rate is so high, it's akin to hell on earth.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, but from what I've heard, I'm rather glad I don't live there.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Interesting post that.

I've never been, and don't particularly intend to, but it's interesting to hear the accounts of others insofar as they tend to fall into two distinct categories. The first being that it's a paradise and so on, and the second being that the violent crime rate is so high, it's akin to hell on earth.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, but from what I've heard, I'm rather glad I don't live there.
    I lived in Pretoria for 3 years and both my children were born there.

I wouldn't say that it is in between paradise and a violent nightmare. It happens to be both at the same time. It just depends on what happens to you that day. We were lucky in that nothing too bad ever happened to us.

I worked at a school during my time there and, from my English experiences, I thought murder, violent crime and rape were things you read about in the newspaper. Not so in SA. I would say virtually every week a family at the small school were victims of armed robbery, a home invasion, rape, carjacking and occasionally murder. It was no longer something to read about but happening frequently in your community.

During my time I lived in both a gated community and also in a wealthy but non gated community and the nights were frequently scary. Occasional attempted break ins etc. Every room in the house had panic alarms and the house had a safe room. I pressed the panic button more than once to have the lightning armed response to the house.

I mention that one police officer said to shoot first and then ask questions after but another police office said that virtually all guns used illegally are taken from home owners trying to protect their home who are killed and then their weapons are taken and used on others. It is worrying when the police advise you not to defend yourself and let the invaders rape your wife, take your kids as security as that may be the only way to stay alive. Of course people don't want to do this so there is a violent backlash to defend their homes which again fuels more illegal guns as they die in the process and inadvertently supply more firearms to the bad guys.

I loved South Africa but I had anxiety every evening - with good reason - and I am not sure I could take my family back there to live. It is a shame as, as you say, it can be paradise.
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Perhaps a rolled up copy of the Guardian and some stinging one liners would be a more effective method of self defense? Frankly, he very well may have committed premeditated murder but I dont know and I don't particularly care. However, I do believe his defense is plausible whether is is credible or not is up to a jury.
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. His defence may be possible, but really doesn't strike one as "plausible" as I understand the meaning of the word.

I don't have a personal axe to grind against Pistorius, but I do care if he committed premeditated murder. Ms Steenkamp was a young woman with her life ahead of her and someone's daughter and sister. If she was murdered (as, I believe, seems likely), I'd like to see justice served for her and her family.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    From my own experience, ladders and open windows are a lot less of an issue when the burglar bars are on - though of course never a good idea. A window without burglar bars is a cause of nightly anxiety and sleepless nights. I'm not saying he didn't commit murder. However, I am saying that having one room, in this case the bathroom, in the house without burglar bars and hearing noises coming from there would cause every alarm bell to go off and the **** to hit the fan. Full blown panic would happen. Having lived in Pretoria and having friends subject to violent crime then I'm not sure how rationally I would act.

I never owned a gun in SA, and I still never have, but I know plenty who did and I know people including the police who advocated shooting first and asking questions a very distant second.

I personally was advised that even if I saw a shadow in the garden that I should shoot first then fire a warning shot in the wall and then investigate. Of course this offended my very British sensibilities but frankly when your neighbors are getting murdered and raped then British sensibilities are out of their element.

SA can be a terrifying place to live and don't let the stories of an affluent gated community mislead you. Gated communities are subject to as much, if not more, violent crime and home invasions. Guards and gates do not buy safety. They buy a false peace of mind and that is as good as you can hope for.

Een trap en daai burglar bar is af.
    Burglar bars are useless. If a guy wants to get in he gets in. We do not work on juries but the judge decide.
    Twenty-over cricket can be “boring”. It has grown up. It takes concentration. It is no longer a game for the post-literate generation. They need the distractions, the loud music to disguise the boredom. They never warned you about that.

It is as if it the facts are irrelevant and we either believe in a person's innocence or guilt based on the identity of the person accused of the crime and not based on any facts that might have been revealed.

Meanwhile another women is dead. Because Oscar Pistorius is famous, I fear that many of us including many in the media will forget this. Oscar is not dead. Reeva Steenkamp is. We should not forget that.
    Last edited by BeardofAmla; 20-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Interesting post that.

This is how you will look if they break into your home
    Last edited by Dan; 20-02-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Removing an inappropriate link - Dan

Followed some of the proceedings via twitter tonight, was interesting. Prosecution case doesn't seem quite as solid as it appeared...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I don't understand why she didn't shout back that she wasn't a burglar when he claims he shouted at them. Surely a pretty big floor in his argument..
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Followed some of the proceedings via twitter tonight, was interesting. Prosecution case doesn't seem quite as solid as it appeared...
    his affidavit was class. They could have just put his lawyer in the box and he could have said he is Oscar. That is problem with the law. The investigating officer had to attend and had to take the stand yet it was the defense who must prove exceptional circumstances.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information