Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Horse meat scandal

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,834

    Horse meat scandal

    It seems this one will run and run, unlike the horses in question ...

    Horsemeat Legal Action Starts In Europe - Yahoo! News UK

    Any thoughts? Obviously, leaving aside the amount of salt, sugar and fat known to be present in so-called 'ready meals' if the packet says 'beef lasagne' then clearly that's what should be in it. Any substitution of another meat is fraud and false representation. However, if I enjoyed a meal and then found out it was horse, I wouldn't necessarily avoid getting it again. Horsemeat is sold openly and consumed in many parts of Europe after all. I would draw the line at Shetland ponies though.
    Last edited by stumpski; 11-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.

  2. #2
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,112
    Haven't read the article as I'm too tired but a few points:

    1)If it was labelled as beef and it was actually horsemeat, they should sue the asses off of the producers.
    2)I wouldn't eat horse, period.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

    Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,787
    I still don't really get how people make a profit out of doing this. Surely horse meat is going to be more expensive than beef, especially the leftovers you expect to get in the cheap and cheerful packets?

    As to the issue it wouldn't bother me to discover I'd just eaten horse if you took me to France and cooked me a steak, but in this situation it's what else I din't know was in it that'd be unsettling. Illegal fake meat doesn't strike me as likely to be clean or stored properly.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,324
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    It seems this one will run and run, unlike the horses in question ...

    Horsemeat Legal Action Starts In Europe - Yahoo! News UK

    Any thoughts? Obviously, leaving aside the amount of salt, sugar and fat known to be present in so-called 'ready meals' if the packet says 'beef lasagne' then clearly that's what should be in it. Any substitution of another meat is fraud and false representation. However, if I enjoyed a meal and then found out it was horse, I wouldn't necessarily avoid getting it again. Horsemeat is sold openly and consumed in many parts of Europe after all. I would draw the line at Shetland ponies though.
    What utter horse ****
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,834
    Gives a new meaning to "you're having a 'mare"

  6. #6
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,972
    If this happened in the US, it might actually entice me to eat at Burger King for once. Haven't been there in probably a decade.

    What's the big deal? It probably tasted better anyway, and likely much healthier for you too. I've had it a few times - it was pretty good (though never had it in a burger).

    Anyway, much ado about nothing. Fair enough it should have been labeled as people should know what they are eating so I get that, but even then, how much do you really know about what goes into your food at fast food places? Not much harm done as far as I'm concerned.

    Now if people got sick or something like that, it's fair enough to get damages.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #7
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,022
    I guess eating horse meat isn't that much of a big deal but it needs to say horse meat on the label.

  8. #8
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,720
    I don't think whether or not it's harmful is the issue really. I mean, sure, if it was making people sick then it'd be a lot more serious. But it's understandable for people to have a reasonable expectation that they are eating what it says on the label and so on.

    Reminds me a bit of the GM foods debate. There might not be any empirical evidence which suggests its harmful, but if people object to eating it for moral, or other, reasons, I don't think their objections should be any less valid. I wouldn't give a crap about eating horse meat or GM products quite honestly, but I can see why other people might, and think their views ought to be respected.

  9. #9
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I guess eating horse meat isn't that much of a big deal but it needs to say horse meat on the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I don't think whether or not it's harmful is the issue really. I mean, sure, if it was making people sick then it'd be a lot more serious. But it's understandable for people to have a reasonable expectation that they are eating what it says on the label and so on.

    Reminds me a bit of the GM foods debate. There might not be any empirical evidence which suggests its harmful, but if people object to eating it for moral, or other, reasons, I don't think their objections should be any less valid. I wouldn't give a crap about eating horse meat or GM products quite honestly, but I can see why other people might, and think their views ought to be respected.
    Well I was speaking in relation to the uproar it caused - it wasn't really harmful so why the big uproad (news story in the US too). The uproar would be something that might be reserved for contaminated meat that caused massive ecoli outbreaks.

    I agree that it should have been labeled, and it's fair enough that people have a right to know (for whatever reason). I've no problem with it being a story because of that - I just find it funny how big of a story it is considering there's probably a lot of things in fast food that actually most likely causes actual harm and people don't care or have any idea about.

    I disagree re: GM food labeling, though, but that's a different argument.

  10. #10
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,269
    Whilst some may accept eating horsemeat as acceptable, one of the biggest hurdles Tesco and the like will face is convincing people its actually safe to eat. The maine problem is the drugs/treatment the horse has had, because it wasn't treated the same as meat labelled for human consumption, no-one knows if the drugs the animal was given are stable enough for human ingestion. Naturally, people remember the BSE episode, and I'm sure the British beef industry doesnt want to be saddled with a similar situation, especially when the blinkered view of the EU dragged on the suffering for many years. It took 10 years to lift the ban last time, and for British beef, Europe is still a rather newmarket for them.

    Of course, it all depends on how the media play it. If they do decide that playing this up for sales may have a detrimental effect, then so long as they can find another topic to have a grand national debate over, the whole 'dilemma' may just tail off.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,312
    It don't think it's horse meat that's the problem, per se. It's that the handling of horse meat, usually reserved for pets, has much lower standards associated with it. The potential for Something Bad Happened is therefore much greater. Why wait until someone gets sick? This definitely has the potential to be a very bad thing.

    EDIT: Unless they irradiate the **** out of the meat before it ends up in a Maggi Lasagne, I guess. Not a virologist but I don't think there are pathogens which are present in horse meat that would survive that any more than in cow's meat,
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-02-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,312
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Whilst some may accept eating horsemeat as acceptable, one of the biggest hurdles Tesco and the like will face is convincing people its actually safe to eat. The maine problem is the drugs/treatment the horse has had, because it wasn't treated the same as meat labelled for human consumption, no-one knows if the drugs the animal was given are stable enough for human ingestion. Naturally, people remember the BSE episode, and I'm sure the British beef industry doesnt want to be saddled with a similar situation, especially when the blinkered view of the EU dragged on the suffering for many years. It took 10 years to lift the ban last time, and for British beef, Europe is still a rather newmarket for them.

    Of course, it all depends on how the media play it. If they do decide that playing this up for sales may have a detrimental effect, then so long as they can find another topic to have a grand national debate over, the whole 'dilemma' may just tail off.
    *mane

    You're right on the legal pun threshold, tbh. Watch yourself, the penalties can be quite steeplechase.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-02-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  13. #13
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    12,059
    Just had my first crap since the Findus horse meat scandal. It was good to firm and soft in places.

  14. #14
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    would I like to eat horse? neigh
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  15. #15
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    45,409
    Apparently now Findus have withdrawn their products because of public concern about possible horse meat contamination.

    Shame really, I always liked their spaghetti bologneighs.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Random Animal Meat
    By Neil Pickup in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 30-09-2011, 06:15 AM
  2. Best Women Handicappers
    By Ilovedelmar in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-07-2011, 12:07 PM
  3. Does anyone follow horse racing?
    By Ilovedelmar in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-07-2011, 04:33 PM
  4. The Matchfixing Scandal
    By GIMH in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 11:24 PM
  5. Equestrian and Horse Show
    By Pratters in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •