Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony to unveil Ps4 on Feb 20th.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar

Sony to unveil Ps4 on Feb 20th.

All aboard the hype train

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp will this month host its first major Playstation meeting in two years, sparking a flare-up in online speculation the Japanese consumer electronics giant is preparing to unveil the successor to its 70 million-selling PS3 games console.

Sony declined to say whether it would release a new product at the meeting in New York on February 20. "We will be talking about the Playstation business," spokesman Masaki Tsukakoshi said on Friday. A Google search for "Sony Feb 20 Playstation" returned more than 7 million hits.

The last time Sony held a Playstation event, in January 2011, it presented a protoype of its handheld Vita console. Before that, it convened a gathering in 2005 two months after it first demonstrated the PS3 concept. A meeting in 1999 revealed designs for the PS2.
    It has been more than six years since Sony launched the PS3 home console, a longer gap than between it and its PS2 predecessor, adding to the anticipation that it will soon disclose its next gaming concept.

Since Sony's last home console launch, the games market has been transformed by the boom in smartphones and tablet computers that have wooed players with free or cheap games.

Sony and other console makers Nintendo Co Ltd and Microsoft Corp now have to contend with competition from hand-held devices made by Apple Inc, Samsung Electronics and others.

Analysts expect that tablets and other mobile devices will match the power and graphics of today's games consoles within a few years.

Struggling under competitive pressure, Nintendo on Wednesday cut its sales target for the Wii U, successor to its 100 million-selling Wii, to 4 million machines by the end of March from its launch in November, compared with an earlier forecast for 5.5 million.
    Sony ignites talk of PS4 unveil with Playstation meeting - Yahoo! News
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Still wont be better than the SNES.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Xbawks.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    go read a book ****s
    Exit pursuing a beer

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    go read a book ****s
    Make music that isn't ****ing terrible.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Microsoft are deliberating on introducing unique gaming software activation codes in order to stop people purchasing second hand games or borrowing from friends/family. If I were to purchase a console, I would certainly not purchase an X-Box purely for this reason.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Microsoft are deliberating on introducing unique gaming software activation codes in order to stop people purchasing second hand games or borrowing from friends/family. If I were to purchase a console, I would certainly not purchase an X-Box purely for this reason.
    If you want to play games of any sort, I'd get used to that if I were you.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Second hand gaming is such a big industry. Not everyone can afford to buy new games and a lot of people do prefer to sell off games they have completed. Microsoft will just be getting rid of a lot of customers this way.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 11-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    I'm never upgrading from PS3 if the next gen of consoles put an end to the used games market. Being a casual gamer, I prefer to buy all my games second hand for 15-20$ rather than the 50-60$ they are sold at when new.

To add to that the PS+ membership, gives me atleast 2-3 new games for free every month which are enough for 100 odd gaming hours.

Apple has shown that the best way to combat piracy is not to overengineer in complicated software checks , but rather reduce the cost, make it easy to buy stuff and earn from volume.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Yes, but of course the price of games will be reduced over time. The retail price of a game is not going to stay at the same level as it is at the time of release.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Yeah this has been going on for some time now. Sony actually developed the technology and patented it IIRC. I'd be surprised if this gets implemented right out of the gates though, unless both Sony and MS do it.
    RIP Craigos

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Ohhhh BOOOOOOOOM!

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    You have terrible taste, so I'll take that a compliment.

**** off you sped. Go dribble your **** where it's wanted.

Anyway, people who claim they'll stop gaming if there is no used games will get their wish either way, because if you keep buying used games you keep giving money to EB Games and NOT to the developer of the game. If you keep buying used then you're giving nothing back to the people that spent years of their lives on that product, it's inherently selfish. And before you do, you can't compare it to buying used cars or whatever because big car manufacturers also run the used markets. Whether or not you want it, big game companies won't ant at this point, can't, run their own used markets. There are ways they could sell and buy back games codes, but that can't really happen until games are downloadable only (which is coming, don't you worry.) THQ just got split up and sold off because mid-level publishers and developers cannot make enough money to stay afloat. There have been hundreds of studios closed in the last 12 months becuase the middle ground is gone. The only way to survive is to have a AAA game that everyone will buy regardless of whether it's good or terrible (Assassins Creed 3, for example) or to make indie games that sell for stuff all and sell millions of copies.

In any case, if they took used games off the market the industry wouldn't fail. Have you guys ever heard of Steam? If you haven't, then you need to. The next game consoles are going to be like Steam. Their marketplaces are going to be hugely pushing downloading games instead of hard copies, and when there's no way to buy used the market regulates itself. You should see the sales that Steam has at holiday season (I bought Dishonored, BRINK, Quake 1-4, RAGE, Elder Scrolls 3-4-5, Sleeping Dogs, Bastion, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Borderlands 2, Portal, Portal 2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Ys Chronicles, Darksiders, Red Faction, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes... etc etc for about $200 total at Christmas) and that way, the products still get out and the people who DESERVE the money for it, get it. Hell, even check out Good Old Games. They do a similar thing! This is coming people, and it will be fine. Even for you people who play very few games and don't like spending huge amounts of money.

Gamers are so damn entitled, it infuriates me.
    Last edited by dontcloseyoureyes; 12-02-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information