Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist Church

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Atheist Church

And I thought they weren't part of a group.

BBC News - What happens at an atheist church?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    (a) What do you mean by "they"?

(b) What part of Atheism (ie non-belief in God) says anything about not being in a group?

Seriously...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I mean Atheists do not categorise themselves as being part of a group/order.

You have fundamentally missed the point, then.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Atheism has lately been pretty dogmatic and strident in its criticism of other belief systems (religions). A number of atheists are doing a pretty good job in mimicking the intolerance often displayed by mainstream religion itself.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    You have fundamentally missed the point, then.
    I am just going by what SS has said in a previous thread.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    It seems fairly clear to me that the 'church' is merely the template to get a bunch of like-minded people together, not the birth of a belief system or dogma.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Never go by what SS says.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The difference is that atheism is not an ideology. It's like "people who dont collect stamps" doing something about people who have hobbies. It's simply not a good way to group anyone because there is nothing that really binds us as a group (not even if we like religion, I've met more than a couple atheists who wish that they could believe in God). So the premise is irrelevant.
    He has a point on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    It seems fairly clear to me that the 'church' is merely the template to get a bunch of like-minded people together, not the birth of a belief system or dogma.
    Like minded people gathered together to support the fact that they don't believe in God just like they don't believe in fairies and monsters and the great big juju monster (as said by Richard Dawkins).

I also don't believe in fairies and I am sure you don't, so let's form a group and meet up to discuss this along with having guest speakers and so on.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Like minded people gathered together to support the fact that they don't believe in God just like they don't believe in fairies and monsters and the great big juju monster (as said by Richard Dawkins).

I also don't believe in fairies and I am sure you don't, so let's form a group and meet up to discuss this along with having guest speakers and so on.
    I believe in fairies, but a different type of fairies to some other people. So I might argue with them, or perhaps even go to war with them.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Never go by what SS says.
    You could just ask me what I mean.

There is no 'idealology' behind atheism because it is simply a lack of belief in God. It is not a philosophy, or a set of ideals.

But that doesn't mean its not a 'group'. You can make 'groups' in all sorts of ways: by hair color, ethnicity, religion, etc. Certainly I would say there are issues that a large percentage of atheist would say are probably important to them, but that's simply due to the position of atheism and of various religions in society.

What happens at an atheist 'church'? I don't know - whatever would happen at any sort of interest meeting - probably talk about issues that people in the group can agree on (e.g lets say a school is trying to mandate that all kids have to pray or something). Is joining together to form an organization a 'atheist philosophy'? Of course not, but just like people who don't collect stamps may get together and boycott a government policy that forced people to collect stamps, or if it was the case that you can't get elected to office if you don't claim to be a large stamp collector....it makes sense to find people who agree with you on certain issues, or have certain things common with you background wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Atheism has lately been pretty dogmatic and strident in its criticism of other belief systems (religions). A number of atheists are doing a pretty good job in mimicking the intolerance often displayed by mainstream religion itself.
    You've made this point several times now, but I think we're finally at the point where we don't have to sit back and take the BS heaped on us in the name of religion. Any criticism of that is often seen as 'strident'. You can't expect to be free of criticism when you use your religion of philosophy to tell someone who they can or can't marry or what they can do in the privacy of their homes. People say that, and then get offended when you call them out on it. Well, don't use it as justification. If I use (for example), Karl Marx or Adam Smith or Plato or whoever to make an argument -- clearly the other side has the right to address that source. It can't be exempt from criticism.

If simply verbally addressing someone's philosophy is 'intolerance', that's a pretty watered down meaning of the word tbf. But maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at when you made that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post

Well if some of the people who believed in fairies told you that their fairies told them you couldn't get married to who you want, or adopt kids, or teach your kids about science....then I would say it's probably well worth having a group to discuss a strategy about how you are going to counteract that influence.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    You've made this point several times now, but I think we're finally at the point where we don't have to sit back and take the BS heaped on us in the name of religion. Any criticism of that is often seen as 'strident'. You can't expect to be free of criticism when you use your religion of philosophy to tell someone who they can or can't marry or what they can do in the privacy of their homes. People say that, and then get offended when you call them out on it. Well, don't use it as justification. If I use (for example), Karl Marx or Adam Smith or Plato or whoever to make an argument -- clearly the other side has the right to address that source. It can't be exempt from criticism.

If simply verbally addressing someone's philosophy is 'intolerance', that's a pretty watered down meaning of the word tbf. But maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at when you made that point.
    Yeah I agree, religion can't be a criticism-free zone. If you want to make your ideologies public then you have to be prepared to deal with the criticism. I got upset when my parents told me Santa wasn't real when I was younger, but that doesn't mean they should never have told me. I finally came around to the idea that it might be the truth when I saw my grandmother shopping for men's socks a few years ago.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information