Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    10 infants dead in California whooping cough outbreak - CNN.com

I am speechless, I have no speech. 10 deaths of kids < 3 months from whooping cough this year? California is at the vanguard of the anti-vaxx movement and, frankly, these idiots should face some sort of prosecution. Oi, idiots, vaccinante your kids so they can grow up to be idiots too!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    That article is from 2010. But yea, I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Ah dammit.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    i met a guy the other day in our postgrad computer lab who is against vaccinations because the syringes and needles can't be recycled so we're killing the planet. he also said we get all the immunity we need from breast milk because it passes our mums resistances on to us.

i told him we'll both eat some polio and see who dies first. i wish i hadn't because he got on his high horse again for another half hour.

i repeated this story to the gf and she started agreeing with him on the milk thing. :/ told her its a good thing she is terrified of babies then.

(don't say that if you want fun times that night ftr)

i've also subsequently found out i don't have all of mine, and i don't know which ones i'm missing. :/ probably a good thing loony #1 didn't take me up on my bet.

vaccinations will be non negotiable if i ever have kids ftr. they're getting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Ugh. Breast milk really is the best for the baby and it does provide immunological benefit but it's not a substitute for vaccines. It's just like all the other pseudoscience crap - they take something with a grain of truth and then just exaggerate it until it makes no sense. Everything from global warming, to evolution to GMO foods suffers from the same problem.

And now that notorious anti vaxxer is going to be on the view. How many children is that going to kill?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I'm okay with anti-vaxxers as long as it doesn't restrict my ability to give vaccines to any potential kids I may have.

It's just another example of evolution in action as their progeny die of polio, tetanus or whatever childhood disease they don't have immunity to.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

The problem is they kill other kids. For example, if someone is too sick or too young to get a vaccine (you don't give vaccines right after birth - have to wait a little bit for most of them) - they are still susceptible to the disease and you are relying on other kids in the hospital and in the neighborhood to be immunized. There were cases of kids dying in California who were simply too young to be vaccinated - because other kids in the area had the disease who weren't vaccinated.

No mate, it will (and demonstrably does) kill more kids. This is why the attitude is so dangerous. Babies are vulnerable until they have two does of the vaccine which, if the mothers are fastidious enough to follow government guidelines, is roughly the first 4 months of life. The lack of babies dying from it is generally attributed to the lack of kids around these babies with symptoms of the disease and the most effective way to make that happen is via vaccination. Too many people assume or have convinced themselves that because breast feeding is acknowledged as the best way to get mum's antibodies into their kids, they're safe from everything but it's really not true for Pertussis.

EDIT: beaten

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

EDIT: beaten
    Just assume that's always the case.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Aren't some vaccines not 100%? In which case, if you have a higher portion of people that aren't vaccinated, that raises the probability of everyone catching the disease?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The problem is they kill other kids. For example, if someone is too sick or too young to get a vaccine (you don't give vaccines right after birth - have to wait a little bit for most of them) - they are still susceptible to the disease and you are relying on other kids in the hospital and in the neighborhood to be immunized. There were cases of kids dying in California who were simply too young to be vaccinated - because other kids in the area had the disease who weren't vaccinated.
    This. I remember spitting blood many years ago when my son's older cousin hadn't been vaccinated and my son was too young to have the MMR and there was a brief concern that the latter had caught something unpleasant, thus putting mine lad at risk. Thankfully it was a false alarm and they're both fine. Apart from Wakefield's cynical opportunism, I really objected to papers like the Mail sticking all this on their front page as a stick to beat the Blair Government, irresepective of the likely impact on infant mortality.

For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    but they didn't get autism!!1
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information