Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imran detained in Canada by American Immigration?

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He was on a flight to New York though; it stopped off in Canada. The USA have every right to question him before he arrives in their country given that was clearly his destination. If he was just going to Canada it'd be a bit different.

True I just learned that and it makes more sense now...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Well, Imran said it was about the drones. And of course he would. I don't doubt that his attitude towards the drones was questioned as well to get a better insight into the man, but the rationale behind questioning him in the first place probably had more to do with these comments or these comments, or possibly these comments. As I said in the Pakistan Politics thread, the first article I linked looks like really lazy and vindictive journalism to me, but well that's why you question the man rather than taking stuff like that at face value. The Americans involved wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't at least look into stuff like that, and if asking Imran a few questions about it in Canada before he arrives in the US is how they feel they can get a better idea about what his views actually are, then so be it.
    Would have made more sense to question him right when boarding a U.S. bound flight in Pakistan. Once he is on Canadian Soil he is pretty much "here" and any threat of a "pro Taliban" speech or whatever reason U.S. thought was important enough to question him is that much closer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Would have made more sense to question him right when boarding a U.S. bound flight in Pakistan.
    Probs too scared.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

WAC
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

He was on a flight to New York though; it stopped off in Canada. The USA have every right to question him before he arrives in their country given that was clearly his destination. If he was just going to Canada it'd be a bit different.

Well, Imran said it was about the drones. And of course he would. I don't doubt that his attitude towards the drones was questioned as well to get a better insight into the man, but the rationale behind questioning him in the first place probably had more to do with these comments or these comments, or possibly these comments. As I said in the Pakistan Politics thread, the first article I linked looks like really lazy and vindictive journalism to me, but well that's why you question the man rather than taking stuff like that at face value. The Americans involved wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't at least look into stuff like that, and if asking Imran a few questions about it in Canada before he arrives in the US is how they feel they can get a better idea about what his views actually are, then so be it.
    But Imran is a very public personality and if they need an hour to sit with him to gauge his views which have already been made public by him umpteen number of times don't you think it is a little lazy on their part to not have done thorough research on him before hauling him off the flight?

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    But Imran is a very public personality and if they need an hour to sit with him to gauge his views which have already been made public by him umpteen number of times don't you think it is a little lazy on their part to not have done thorough research on him before hauling him off the flight?
    As we both know, the Pakistani media is notoriously unreliable; using it as a verified source when determining whether someone is a threat or not would be an awful idea. The first article I linked there is IMO a perfect example of why having a chat to him would be a good idea. It depicts something that I'm not sure Imran actually meant, and there are no quotes to really support what the article is saying.

yes but Imran has come a lot on media and just the other day he again clarified his stance on canadian TV

IMRAN KHAN Latest Interview to Canadian TV CBC

the anchor could be irritating at times especially asking a fair few times "Imran are you saying that the canadian lives that were lost in Afghanistan were wasted" or something of the sort

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    He was asked about it, and let go. I don't see the problem? Hell, I was 'asked about' all sorts of random things by UK immigration even though I had a US passport and was visiting for two days. It was more hilarious than annoying, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

1) Anyone visiting the US is doing so voluntarily. As such, they are agreeing to abide by the immigration laws of the US. If the US, wants to question someone who has made fairly inflammatory statements against the country, they have a perfect right to do so.

2) Once the immigration officials questioned him, they did allow him to enter the country. Yes he missed his original flight, but Imran wasn't barred from entering the States.

3) If Imran feels aggrieved/insulted, he is perfectly within his rights to never visit the US again. Of course that means he'd never be able to fund raise in the States, but hey, it's all about the principled stand more than the money right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post

3) If Imran feels aggrieved/insulted, he is perfectly within his rights to never visit the US again. Of course that means he'd never be able to fund raise in the States, but hey, it's all about the principled stand more than the money right?
    Such a wrong statement .

Funds can also be raised online (even if the amount raised might be lower).

http://www.insaf.pk/Support/Donate/t...9/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Such a wrong statement .

Funds can also be raised online (even if the amount raised might be lower).

Donate

All the more reason to take a principled stand against this gross insult and never visit the US again.

P.S: If the US were so inclined, they could easily ban all fund raising activities in the country for Imran/PTI, including online.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post

P.S: If the US were so inclined, they could easily ban all fund raising activities in the country for Imran/PTI, including online.
    so?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    They should have thrown away the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Wac

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information