Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes blocked in China

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Meh. China gonna China.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Banned
    Now only if they could block the million chinese hackers....

Sure that the average Chinese citizen already knows more about their kleptocrat leadership than the NYT ever will. #tiltingatwindmills

Well there's a difference between rumors and proof. Especially for a premier that is seen as anti-corruption. Everyone may 'know' their politicans are corrupt, but it's still a scandal when it's proven.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    those communists at the times will be so disappointed
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The ones that accept the NYT article as proof probably don't need more proof; the ones that don't, wouldn't be swayed by confession on state television. Unless followed by a swift bullet to the head for corruption.

That's a weird assertion to make - what do you base that on? Clearly media revelations such as this can have a huge impact on public opinion in most countries. It was certainly tracking very high before NYTimes was banned in China.

You seriously think that individuals in China following the NYT online need more "proof" that their leadership is corrupt? Or that an article there will change their mind from "it's propaganda" to "oh, I see it clearly now, like a red rubber ball?"

Yes, I think proof changes things, quite a bit, even if people already have a perception of something being true without it. Otherwise, there'd be no corruption scandals - and there are, even in China.

The NYT's is hardly proof, though. This ban's like trying to put the butterflies back in the box.

Sure it is. We'll see what happens - I bet you there'll be an impact - especially considering the timing.

Banned
    And TOR is probably still blocked

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Sure it is. We'll see what happens - I bet you there'll be an impact - especially considering the timing.
    Hope you're right, but I fear you overestimate the reach of the NYT. After all, they've been know to report on international events from inside their comfy Manhattan coops.

You don't overcome sexy calves that easily.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    You seriously think that individuals in China following the NYT online need more "proof" that their leadership is corrupt? Or that an article there will change their mind from "it's propaganda" to "oh, I see it clearly now, like a red rubber ball?"
    Yeah, agree with this.

At least in Pakistan so many corruption scandals come to light only to go off into the background with nothing heard about them afterwards. The people generally assume the leadership to be corrupt by default and would only sit and take notice if somebody with an extremely clean record is exposed badly through the media. And then people are like "oh, he turns out to be one of the crowd"

I doubt it really affects public perception.

And I won't be surprised if that is the case in China too.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information