Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: More blasphemy please

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Why isn't this minister in gaol for incitement to murder? Fmd what a terrible comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Its a friggin' disgrace.
    Quite. He shouldn't have been allowed to leave the room, frankly, without being arrested.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    haha.....you must be kidding.....the current govt needs just about any votes it can get.....they haven't even planned any action as of yet

PM condemns bounty on anti-Islam filmmaker: spokesman | DAWN.COM
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Fair enough - I recall reading it from a reputable source but I could easily be misremembering it.

Another question, I saw Bill Maher yesterday (and I don't necessarily agree with him on this issue) and Salman Rushdie was on. He said that in the 70s and before, places like Tehran, Baghdad, Damascus, etc were very cosmopolitan and liberal cities (which is certainly true, by all contemporary accounts). I know the Iranian revolution was a big tipping point in the middle east, but what else do you think might have caused the big cultural change?
    It all started with the ****ing Communists. We wouldn't in this mess if they had left Afghanistan on it's own.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Muslims have to live with the fact that there are going to be people in the world that don't respect their religion.
    Its not just about respecting Islam. People around the world, irrespective of which creligion they come from, have to understand and live with the fact that there will be increasing number of people in the world who do not respect ANY religion, including the one they themselves were born in - include yours truly in that ever burgeoning list.

Its not just about blasphemy against Islam, its blasphemy by itself that is going to become something that will eventually not just have to be tolerated but to be treated as an antiquated concept.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Its not just about respecting Islam. People around the world, irrespective of which creligion they come from, have to understand and live with the fact that there will be increasing number of people in the world who do not respect ANY religion, including the one they themselves were born in - include yours truly in that ever burgeoning list.

Its not just about blasphemy against Islam, its blasphemy by itself that is going to become something that will eventually not just have to be tolerated but to be treated as an antiquated concept.
    pretty much sums up the issue

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Fair enough - I recall reading it from a reputable source but I could easily be misremembering it.

Another question, I saw Bill Maher yesterday (and I don't necessarily agree with him on this issue) and Salman Rushdie was on. He said that in the 70s and before, places like Tehran, Baghdad, Damascus, etc were very cosmopolitan and liberal cities (which is certainly true, by all contemporary accounts). I know the Iranian revolution was a big tipping point in the middle east, but what else do you think might have caused the big cultural change?
    As AN and Smali have already mentioned, the Afghan war was the cultural tipping point in Pakistan. General Zia-ul-Haq radicalized Pakistan in the '80's and the country was never the same again. Prior to that, while not being progressive in a full Western sense, the state of Pakistan was far more tolerant and open minded than today. You can get a sense of yesterday's Pakistan in my posts from the Pak politics thread.
    Last edited by Fusion; 23-09-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post

Brilliant post. Welcome back, by the way.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    SJS's sentiments are admirable but whilst the powers that be on any side can frame it as an ideological battle, the violence will continue. For all of his many idiocies, there was one thing GWB did get right and that was to reiterate the military actions were designed to be against Al Qaida, not Islam. This (correctly) means they were targeting them for what they are; an organised criminal group, not ideological warriors, and once those at the pointy end got that message, Al Qaida's influence waned fairly dramatically.

A big problem right now is that Obama's hawks have taken that success as a license to target not only those left from the old guard but to pre-emptively target those who are looking likely to be a problem ( e.g. the Awlakis) and in places which are looking likely to cause them future woes (e.g. Yemen). One of the mechanisms are so-called 'signature strikes'. Stuff like this makes it really easy for the extremists on the ground to hype the religious war angle and recruit more blokes to the 'cause'.

EDIT: I don't mean to infer that this practice began under Obama. Nowhere near. But, under his watch, the practice has increased exponentially.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    Dawkins and Hitchens are far better speakers on atheism than Pat Condell IMO.
    Not as entertaining though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information