Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two policewomen killed in Manchester gun attack

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Horrible stuff.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    One thing that I can't get my head around is why the press keep asking why it was 2 women officers together and could something else have been done, it appears that it would be 2 dead police officers no matter what sex they were as it was an ambush by a nutter so having a male officer there would have been irrelevant.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Well most pubs have cctv these days etc...
    They do indeed, but in my experience the quality is seldom good enough to base a case on if all the witnesses clam up which, in these gang related things, is sadly all too frequent

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    One thing that I can't get my head around is why the press keep asking why it was 2 women officers together and could something else have been done, it appears that it would be 2 dead police officers no matter what sex they were as it was an ambush by a nutter so having a male officer there would have been irrelevant.
    Quite, and in any event there are situations where women officers are more effective anyway, and of course we don't know what intelligence the police had about the place, and I suspect we never will get the full picture on that one

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd also heard that apparently local journos knew he was staying in that house and had been there for 2 weeks, so if they knew either the police also knew or there's a serious intelligence gathering failure.
    Doubting thats true TBH, firstly you wouldn't blag that now, as you'll possibly be facing charges for withholding vital evidence in an ongoing murder investigation - also, you'd be 50,000 worse off for not claiming the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Am wondering whether the coppers were aware. Might have been one of those cases where everyone tells everyone there's a bad dude in the neighbourhood except the cops. Because you'd imagine if they had the slightest inkling a bailee with a firearms history was anywhere in the area, would surely qualify as a high-risk arrest. Especially since the UK's bar for that is set lower than elsewhere.

If that turns out to be the case, no-one is to blame (the crook aside) but the people who live there should have a strong, critical look at themselves, really.
    Its an estate that definately keeps itself to itself, and one that would dish out its own punishment for ratting to the authorities. Anyone who grasses there better be damn sure theres room on the witness protection program.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    They do indeed, but in my experience the quality is seldom good enough to base a case on if all the witnesses clam up which, in these gang related things, is sadly all too frequent
    Can confirm pub CCTV isn't normally good enough quality to make out enough details, as I'm still dissapointed with the playback from the night of the stag do and the stripper.....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Sickening stuff. I would not mind if he was hanged for it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    On CCTV, oh man there aren't enough numbers in the world to count how many times that was a fruitless avenue of inquiry. Here, if you're ever in trouble, always assume a cam is old, has had the media taped over so many times the images are unrecognisable, has no dedicated power source and the switch was turned off by a cleaner or, well, just don't work at all and never did but someone just thought it would stop people from acting up just by being there.

(pretty sure fred is in convulsions on the floor as we speak)

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Its an estate that definately keeps itself to itself, and one that would dish out its own punishment for ratting to the authorities. Anyone who grasses there better be damn sure theres room on the witness protection program.
    That's a bit surprising because UK police have a great rep internationally for dealing with informants. This smells a lot like a community policing failure, which UK police also have a solid rep for.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 19-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

That's a bit surprising because UK police have a great rep internationally for dealing with informants. This smells a lot like a community policing failure, which UK police also have a solid rep for.

Not the police's fault, more society in general. Hattersley is one of those area's that operates on its own plane. If there's trouble, they'll deal with it themselves, rather than involving the authorities (something usually joked as around here as 'Salford justice' - proper eye for an eye stuff). Its pretty much controlled by local gangs rather than effective government. I know it sounds like a description of Krays era East End London, but there are pockets like that still - mainly in deprived areas and large former council estates (of which this is one). The police will do what they can, and respond to any incidents. But even when they are helping out, their presence is not welcome, and you get the feeling whoever called the cops will have a brick through the window that night.

My reaction to two women taking the call wasn't 'women can't deal with a problem', far from it, it was more concern on the location being an area where police do suffer abuse for their presence anyway, and two female officers are an easier target for cowards.
    In this case it wouldn't have made a difference, nothing could be done, it just raised a bit of an eyebrow, thats all.

I've always said to my mate who lives down the road that the sign's on that estate informing people its a 30mph zone are actually a minimum guidance for public safety. (Funnily enough, he lives less than a mile away in a very nice area - next door neighbour being a former Premiership/International footballer - just shows how vastly different area's can be)
    Last edited by cpr; 19-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information