View Poll Results: What should be done about the drinking age?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it 18

12 66.67%
  • Raise it to 20

3 16.67%
  • 18 at pubs, 20 at bottle shops

3 16.67%
  • Tom Cruise wears high heels

9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ drinking age - raise to 20, or keep it 18?

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar

NZ drinking age - raise to 20, or keep it 18?

Opinyunz?
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Raising the drinking age would be a stupid idea.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    I can't really think of an argument for raising it, and I'm usually pretty good at playing devils advocate.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    It's not what we're drinking, it's how we're drinking etc.

Idiots gonna idiot unfortunately. Better to have more control over where they can do that.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Just ban Flem from drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Raise it to a year older than whatever age Phlegm is.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Twenty seems an odd age if it's going to be raised. Twenty-one is traditionally the age of majority, key of the door and all that.

But keep as is would seem the way to go. Unfair to punish the responsible eighteen and nineteen YOs for the sins of their twattier peers.

IMHO the idea of a "drinking age" is all a bit self-defeating anyway. The idea that at 17 years & 364 days old one's incapable of having a quiet beer and the next day one's fit to consume whatever one can afford is patently a nonsense.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Keep it at 18. If I ever have kids, they'll be drinking younger than that so they don't go mad when they hit 18. But I don't think you'll stop teens binge drinking by raising the drinking age to 20. They'll just drink from 3L bottles of cider behind the nearest multi-storey and it'll change nothing.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Raise it to a year older than whatever age Phlegm is.
    Do this the day before his birthday, so if he's a day away from 23 change it to 24 that day. And do this on the same date every single year.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Twenty seems an odd age if it's going to be raised. Twenty-one is traditionally the age of majority, key of the door and all that.

But keep as is would seem the way to go. Unfair to punish the responsible eighteen and nineteen YOs for the sins of their twattier peers.

IMHO the idea of a "drinking age" is all a bit self-defeating anyway. The idea that at 17 years & 364 days old one's incapable of having a quiet beer and the next day one's fit to consume whatever one can afford is patently a nonsense.
    Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Here the legal purchasing age (in a supermarket etc) is 16. There is no legal drinking age, and adults are allowed to purchase grog for minors.

Have to be 18 to buy it in a pub though.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 27-08-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Should keep it at 18. Better than having the kids roaming the streets
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    I often find myself defending my hopelessly biased view of keeping it 18 by the whole "They'll find a way to get on it anyway, so it'll make no difference". However, the tiny, sensible, part of my mind realises that this is the exact same logic used by anti-gun-control advocates. The 18 - 20 split between on and off licenses is probably the best compromise tbh.

Doesn't change the fact that the government is incredibly unwilling to attack one of the obvious roots of the problem - ridiculously cheap booze, especially RTDs. Should really smack some taxes on them, though I can't see John "best friend of business" Key going in that direction.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 27-08-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah but ridiculously expensive booze of that type has caused a new problem here; pre-loading. We had the same problem here, RTD's get people < 20 yrs pissed quicker. Solution? Tax. Response? People pre-mix voddy and cordial at home, putting in far more alcohol per drink than they'd get in an RTD. Consequence? Jumped-up, three-sheets by 8pm under-20's ready to go you at the slightest provocation. The UK are dealing with this exact thing right now and, well, they're currently bumping up against the whole 'people want to get bent and will so do no matter what you do' ceiling. So, even though alcohol-related crime in Australia is influenced downward by stuff like this, it's a limited effect and the nature of the assault changes. Fewer minor scuffles, but more king hits, etc.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-08-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The other thing is that raising the drinking age and having places shut earlier does work from a political standpoint. There's actually quite a bit of evidence, stemming mainly from experiments in Newcastle* that the incidence of alcohol-related violence decreased quite a bit (see Kyp Kypri's work**) and there's similar with regards raising the drinking age. The rationale goes that people are generally law-abiding, rational people and upon seeing a hard limit, will respond accordingly and either wait until of age or keep a lid on it until then. Those who drink to hardcore levels are in the minority, will do so regardless of what laws are in place, etc. That's the rationale. So, yes, measures like this do bring the numbers down. However, there are many, many problems and limitations with studies like these but they're almost imposible to measure, let alone allow for in the models.

For example, the research has been clear for many years that there are several age correlates with alcohol; older people (until about 60) drink much, much less than younger people. Increasing drink prices, increased police precense, restrictions on opening hours have, likely, driven older people away to have a drink at home instead. So, already you see an increase in the proportions of those being victims of and admitting to perpetrating violent assaults around licensed prems. Solution? Crack down. Response? Alcohol-related violence drops, mainly because the opportunity to drink whilst out and about decreases. Future consequences? Unmeasurable (have no idea of the levels of alcohol-related violence outside of licensed prems) so we assume the measures are working. I know of several researchers in the area experimenting with composite measures but they are incredibly easy to criticise so plugging and chugging into a model becomes a very iffy exercise but, well, at least it gets the next grant.

Incidentally, watch out for the new black in this area; outlet density. It partly explains why the only people concerned about licensed prems' closures are the owners of licensed prems (and bands ). Some of the other measures being suggested make ya laugh, though; American researchers have experimented with having people in licensed prems whose specific job is to pull up anyone getting somewhat loosed to tone it down a teenth. Some would say that's the role older people in licensed prems played before they were driven away......

* Yes, yes, I know, Newcastle's generalisability is limited. Absolutely a valid criticism of those studies.

** Know this fella, hung out with him at a conference dinner last year, I didn't drink and he got utterly schtonkered but rocked up the next day like nothing had happened. Solid. Pretty sure there's a word for someone who heavily advocates restrictions on something they so joyously engage in, though.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.

something on the radio about a suggested 4 drink limit per person in a licensed premise.

****s just have no idea.

here's an idea, stop trying to ban stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information