Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When does a song become a classic?

I don't actually mind pop music at all, it's catchy and fun. But it all seems so... transient to me. I just can't see myself ever bothering to listen to it in six months time, so why should I bother with it now?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Why do you need it to be everlasting? You gotta live in the moment, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I like pop now more than I ever have in the past, despite getting to the age where I should really have grown out of it. I'm not sure why. "Better" music just feels a bit pretentious to me lately.
    Think it's a pretty common thing. You sort off go through a stage where you explore lots of different types of music etc. but come to the realization that, at the end of the day, more often than not you just want a tune with a good beat/catchy melody to it. I can't say I find 'better' music pretentious or anything, but I'm definitely much more willing to listen to a pop song than I used to be.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    we've got call me maybe and gangnam style this year so it's probably been the best year for pop for ages
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Why do you need it to be everlasting? You gotta live in the moment, man.
    I just cbf.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Think it's a pretty common thing. You sort off go through a stage where you explore lots of different types of music etc. but come to the realization that, at the end of the day, more often than not you just want a tune with a good beat/catchy melody to it. I can't say I find 'better' music pretentious or anything, but I'm definitely much more willing to listen to a pop song than I used to be.
    Yeah, that's exactly it. Also I'm not over-exposed to it the way I was growing up. I haven't had a "pet hate" song in a while, I hardly ever hear music I haven't put on myself anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    we've got call me maybe and gangnam style this year so it's probably been the best year for pop for ages
    Oh man I can't take that song...so catchy, but not in a good way.

Haha I'm the opposite - when I have time, I'm going to grab a heap of atonal **** and listen to that for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly it. Also I'm not over-exposed to it the way I was growing up. I haven't had a "pet hate" song in a while, I hardly ever hear music I haven't put on myself anymore.
    Would be interesting to see if it's the opposite for people who grow up loving mainstream pop...wonder if they would start to move away from it and towards stuff which is more musically 'complex'.

Would be interesting to see if it's the opposite for people who grow up loving mainstream pop...wonder if they would start to move away from it and towards stuff which is more musically 'complex'.
    This is more or less what happened to me. Having said that, I listened to a ****load of classical when I was young so I've always listened to music in a slightly 'different' way. Harmony > melody.

So do you still like pop as much as you used to (in addition to the other stuff)?

No. Mostly because I hear the same harmony repeated far too often. And there's a particular earbleedingly irritating synth that seems to be all the rage at the moment. I don't mind it, of course, but I'll rarely if ever pick a modern pop song over, say, this.
    Last edited by Spark; 25-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.

ha I thought that was going to be Justin Bieber for a second, given the advertising

cpr
    TBH, stand by my original comment. When it comes to listening to music, unless its classical, lyrics mean an awful lot to me. So much durge written today.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    TBH, stand by my original comment. When it comes to listening to music, unless its classical, lyrics mean an awful lot to me. So much durge written today.
    I'm totally the opposite. Lyrics are probably the least important thing to me, but then again thats probably why I listen to so little music with lyrics in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information