Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting Incidents in the United States

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

Mass Shooting Incidents in the United States

Timeline: Colorado Movie Theater Massacre - ABC News

Absolutely horrible stuff. Must have been terrifying for everyone involved.

Gun control America...have a think about it. Or, you could just keep on throwing your hands in the air every time this happens, say 'Oh how terrible', do nothing, and then wait for the next one to occur.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 20-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Horrendous
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Don't think these guns were purchased legally tbf.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Timeline: Colorado Movie Theater Massacre - ABC News

Absolutely horrible stuff. Must have been terrifying for everyone involved.

Gun control America...have a think about it. Or, you could just keep on throwing your hands in the air every time this happens, say 'Oh how terrible', do nothing, and then wait for the next one to occur.
    Against gun control personally. It would take an amendment and no one is strong enough to go against the gun lobby - too many Americans have guns and see it as a fundamental right.

Even democrats have abandoned it as an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Would be great if Americans thought it was a fundamental right to have plutonium in their backyards as well.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, probably not too far off tbf. I think USA has a society has decided a while back that they want access to firearms even if it means enduring occasional tragedies like this. May not be the right decision, but it's a pretty clear one that crosses party lines. This won't change anything.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    They probably were. Colorado's gun laws are relatively (small l) liberal. Not sure, maybe SS will know, is it still a CCW state?

EDIT: Edited because I can't find any info to confirm that he bought legally but have seen it alluded to.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    They've been confirmed as being purchased legally. Some of the other stuff was purchased online (maybe the tear gas?).

Oates said the guns were purchased legally by Holmes at stores in the Denver area in the past two months. More than 6,000 rounds of ammunition were also purchased online, according to Oates.
    Last edited by Spikey; 21-07-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Rep. Gohmert (R-TX) also asked, “It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?”

and that's why

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    They were.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Against gun control personally. It would take an amendment and no one is strong enough to go against the gun lobby - too many Americans have guns and see it as a fundamental right.

Even democrats have abandoned it as an issue.
    Being against gun control is part of getting your American citizenship though isn't it?

I find it interesting that you get the 'right to bear arms' argument from many American citizens when the constitution they refer to was drafted back in the 1700's. Am pretty sure they weren't aware semi-automatic weapons would be invented back then. Let alone used on their own citizens whenever anyone got a text message they didn't like.

The number of gun-related spree killings we've had in Australia since we introduced gun control in 1996 is 0. In America there have been 11 in the same period. I realise there are some other fundamental differences at play, but in my opinion the right to bear arms argument is caveman stuff. Just totally lacks common sense.

I agree it would be difficult to wind back things in a country where people have the potential to own multiple firearms with relative ease. Had a chat to a bloke a few years back from Miami who had 9 guns in his house...am pretty sure he only had two arms.

The problem as I see it is there are a reasonably large number of irresponsible/stupid people in every population. When you give them access to guns you can't be sure they'll put them in a place where people who shouldn't get them aren't able to access them. Then add laws that make it pretty easy for most people to buy a gun and 'wa la'.

Edit: On the other hand, I might have to go back and flick through our equivalent of the constitution to see what I might be able to get away with according to the laws of a hundred-odd years ago.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 21-07-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Rep. Gohmert (R-TX) also asked, “It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?”

and that's why

Yeah, it's just an astonishing way of thinking about the situation. "Given we have the right to carry a gun as a way of protecting ourselves, why wasn't anyone at the cinema carrying a gun (apart from the obvious bloke up the front)!?"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Full disclosure: am not nor do I ever plan to be a gun owner (but did really enjoy squeezing off round when I was in Police and on the range in general)

Two inconvenient truths for the pro gun types; the UK's gun death rate with incredibly strict gun laws and that no massacre has ever been stopped by a hero gun owner, even in the most liberal of gun-law states. Arizona is most definitely a concealed-carry state but that didn't stop some psycho from all but murdering a senator. This idea that many conservative types hold that spree gun violence is less likely in gun-friendly states should by rights have been demolished by now because even in places with pretty liberal laws where massacres have occurred, the idiot has either been arrested or taken out by Police. When Dimebag Darrel was killed on-stage in Ohio (a state with very liberal gun laws), a copper killed the guy, not a hero with a gun despite there being people who had guns confiscated after the show.

A random hero taking out the bad guy, it is a fiction. Of all the arguments around for more relaxed gun laws (and there are some good ones), in no way should that be afforded any credibility.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    The US has over 9000 gun-related deaths per year.

If we link together Australia, England and a variety of other developed countries to make up the equivalent population, the figure is around 112. (obviously dependent on the countries you pick, but I cbf digging up the exact stat and which countries they were)
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Full disclosure: am not nor do I ever plan to be a gun owner (but did really enjoy squeezing off round when I was in Police and on the range in general)

Two inconvenient truths for the pro gun types; the UK's gun death rate with incredibly strict gun laws and that no massacre has ever been stopped by a hero gun owner, even in the most liberal of gun-law states. Arizona is most definitely a concealed-carry state but that didn't stop some psycho from all but murdering a senator. This idea that many conservative types hold that spree gun violence is less likely in gun-friendly states should by rights have been demolished by now because even in places with pretty liberal laws where massacres have occurred, the idiot has either been arrested or taken out by Police. When Dimebag Darrel was killed on-stage in Ohio (a state with very liberal gun laws), a copper killed the guy, not a hero with a gun despite there being people who had guns confiscated after the show.

A random hero taking out the bad guy, it is a fiction. Of all the arguments around for more relaxed gun laws (and there are some good ones), in no way should that be afforded any credibility.
    However, stats relating to attacks with a knife in the UK are pretty horrific IIRC and glassing attacks on the GC have reached alarming rates

Bottom line is that if some psycho wants to hurt another person then it's odds on they will find a way of doing it

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information