Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting Incidents in the United States

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeh, the irony that the NRA types, mostly small gov types railing about government largesse, are quite happy to arm government agents and insert them into their kids' schools. It's.....baffling.

Incidentally, worth pointing out that there was an armed bloke at Columbine who was shot at by Eric Harris so the scheme, absurd and easily rejected on its face, has a relevant precedent for how well it likely won't change much. Sure, the poor numpty with the gun might get lucky and stop a gunman but it's more likely he'll just be the first one to die.

The logistics alone for such an idea are staggering, really. Just to pick on one issue, training, let's assume that it won't be turned into a minimum wage-slave position (which it will). Who will make sure they're up to scratch with the range scores? If you make them pay it for themselves, how will you ensure it's adequate? Will the NRA be happy for yet another massive bureaucratic department to be formed to deal with this? The vast majority of coppers would never volunteer to be put in a position where the other guy has the element of surprise and is likely far more heavily armed, no amount of training can guarantee even a fighting chance in that situation so why would anyone expect said wage-slave to potentially sacrifice their lives for this **** detail?
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

great opinion piece that...

"it lends them a nicely wistful aura, and makes it easier for the grief-performing public to spin them in whatever creative fashion they like. (See Ross Douthat's weepy response, which tacks clear to Dostoevsky and Ivan Karamazov. Alack, the death of innocents; is God even possible in such a world, and so forth"

(y)
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    BTW, the NRA truly are evil, they're trying to deport Piers Morgan, **** off ****s we don't want him back
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeh, the irony that the NRA types, mostly small gov types railing about government largesse, are quite happy to arm government agents and insert them into their kids' schools. It's.....baffling.

Incidentally, worth pointing out that there was an armed bloke at Columbine who was shot at by Eric Harris so the scheme, absurd and easily rejected on its face, has a relevant precedent for how well it likely won't change much. Sure, the poor numpty with the gun might get lucky and stop a gunman but it's more likely he'll just be the first one to die.

The logistics alone for such an idea are staggering, really. Just to pick on one issue, training, let's assume that it won't be turned into a minimum wage-slave position (which it will). Who will make sure they're up to scratch with the range scores? If you make them pay it for themselves, how will you ensure it's adequate? Will the NRA be happy for yet another massive bureaucratic department to be formed to deal with this? The vast majority of coppers would never volunteer to be put in a position where the other guy has the element of surprise and is likely far more heavily armed, no amount of training can guarantee even a fighting chance in that situation so why would anyone expect said wage-slave to potentially sacrifice their lives for this **** detail?
    Yep. It would probably cost more lives than it saves. They have all the metal detectors and so on at schools, in the land of the free for all. Because nothing screams FREEDOM! more than having pat downs and metal detectors at school - absolutely worth that and the deaths to have guns at a supermarket.

Then with that sort of security they decide you know what lets have one guy with a ****ing gun with kids moving about left right and centre. Kid goes mental for a few seconds, yoink, several dead. Plus the potential for accidents. Only ****wits could possibly think of arming someone in a school who's perhaps even more stupid than your typical homeland security worker. Granted they'd have a good go at scapegoating autism or some other condition when it happened. But still. ****ing dickheads.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

State Regular
    They're not seriously going to put armed guards in schools are they?

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well that's something we can all agree about across the Political Spectrum.
    was he so hated in britain? why so?
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    They're not seriously going to put armed guards in schools are they?
    There are always armed police at the school I went to. Most schools dont though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

To build the leaders of tomorrow, I think each class captain should be armed
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    was he so hated in britain? why so?
    Well one, he's just a smarmy ****. Yet I think this story was his nadir. TBH tabloid editors aren't held in high regard anyway.

Amazing through the help of that other tosser Cowell, he's gone on to be so famous afterwards.

Well one, he's just a smarmy ****. Yet I think this story was his nadir. TBH tabloid editors aren't held in high regard anyway.

Amazing through the help of that other tosser Cowell, he's gone on to be so famous afterwards.
    ok got it...didn't know much about his background (knew he was a journalist but that was it) before he joined cnn...how in the world did he get into cnn?

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    ok got it...didn't know much about his background (knew he was a journalist but that was it) before he joined cnn...how in the world did he get into cnn?

Gawd knows, I remember when it was rumoured over here it was ridiculed by Ian Hislop's Private Eye, and most people agreed with him.

Yet they've always had a spat, but in general Morgan's been second best. That mentioned the insider-dealing he was a tad involved with at the Mirror, but got away with, won't sue if you mention it though funnily enough.

Oh and in Pier's diaries he laughingly talks about how easy it is too hack mobile Phones, Levenson inquiry seemed interested to know this.

Edit; There a brilliant, but not terribly tasteful, considering this thread, quote below that video, posted a year ago.

"Look, your country has the highest gun ownership per capita in the world, why do you think we sent him to you? do we need to draw diagrams?"

Oh and the greatest joke ever was done by Stephen Fry "what's the definition of countryside" answer "Killing Piers Morgan".
    Last edited by grecian; 24-12-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Remembered more stuff

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Two volunteer firefights shot dead in New York

BBC News - US firefighters shot dead at blaze in Webster, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Two volunteer firefights shot dead in New York

BBC News - US firefighters shot dead at blaze in Webster, New York

If only they'd had automatics

Fascinating stuff this though, every shooting seems to be headlines, whilst a month ago they'd be footnotes in news. Maybe there should be an automated message from laPierre after each one, "MORE GUNS WOULD HAVE STOPPED IT"

Blimey if this carries on, there'll be a lot of headlines
    Last edited by grecian; 24-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.

If only they'd had automatics

Fascinating stuff this though, every shooting seems to be headlines, whilst a month ago they'd be footnotes in news. Maybe there should be an automated message from laPierre after each one, "MORE GUNS WOULD HAVE STOPPED IT"

Blimey if this carries on, there'll be a lot of headlines
    Or just bullet points.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information