Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bbc 4

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Series finale of Spiral tonight. Can't wait.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Series finale of Spiral tonight. Can't wait.
    Bit underwhelming. Lazily written, I thought.

Series was good on the whole though, but probably the weakest so far.

A bit late notice, but BBC4 have a documentary on Elvis Costello tonight. Followed by a concert from the great man himself. And that's followed by a programme about Blondie.
    Life doesn't get much better.

Ha, cool. Cheers. Duly Sky+'d.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ha, cool. Cheers. Duly Sky+'d.
    There's also a programme on BBC Radio 6 - easily found on their website - where Elvis is interviewed about influences and various aspects of his career. It covers some similar ground to the BBC4 documentary, but it's still very good.

As was the Blondie documentary, which I watched on catch-up yesterday.

BBC4 may have started showing 'Ripping Yarns'. They certainly showed the one about the most boring man in the world last night, so maybe we'll get the whole series over the next few weeks.

Ah, I loved that. Tompkinson's School Days was my fav but also loved the one where Palin is the fan of a hopeless northern football team and sets about recruiting the olde tymey players from their glory days.

There's a great scene where he smashes up his own parlour after a 10-1 defeat and utters the immortal "Useless, useless bastards."

Every sports fan can relate, I'm sure.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    A bit late notice, but BBC4 have a documentary on Elvis Costello tonight. Followed by a concert from the great man himself. And that's followed by a programme about Blondie.
    Life doesn't get much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    In case any of you missed it, there was a very good programme about Graham Parker yesterday. I'd actually forgotten just how good an album 'Squeezing out sparks' is, but I'll need to dig out my copy as soon as I get a spare moment. 'Protection' and 'You can't be too strong' are unbelievably good songs, but there's plenty of others to enjoy too.
    Bit late now, but damn I wish I'd seen those. When I was younger I was hugely into that skinny-tie new wave, and regarded Parker, Costello and Joe Jackson as some kind of holy trinity - although Jackson rather lost his way early on. I'm going to see EC this autumn, and being unfamiliar with his recent stuff (i.e. from about 2005 onwards) I'd be interested if anyone can point me towards some highlights.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ah, I loved that. Tompkinson's School Days was my fav but also loved the one where Palin is the fan of a hopeless northern football team and sets about recruiting the olde tymey players from their glory days.
    Medium sized laddie for a Great Big PALFREY... THUMP.

Wonderful series.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Bit late now, but damn I wish I'd seen those. When I was younger I was hugely into that skinny-tie new wave, and regarded Parker, Costello and Joe Jackson as some kind of holy trinity - although Jackson rather lost his way early on. I'm going to see EC this autumn, and being unfamiliar with his recent stuff (i.e. from about 2005 onwards) I'd be interested if anyone can point me towards some highlights.
    Brumby's probably your best bet. Having been an absolute EC nut until about 1986, I found subsequent efforts less interesting.
    However, if you can recommend any of Parker's more recent recordings, I'd be interested to hear about them..

In other news, the latest BBC4 item to grab my attention was last week's programme about Kate Bush. Truth is I don't know much of her stuff beyond the singles, but the documentary was very good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information