Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CW50 - The Bands Edition - No. 4

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Never got the intense feelings some of their fans have about their music. Was never really into them and still am not. Rated very highly though.
    Really.

Think I put them at 5 iirc so can't really complain about the placing. Very surprised about who came in a place above them, though. Better than Radiohead, Floyd and Led Zep? Certainly not. For me, In Rainbows comes across as a very accessible album, easy to listen to and get into, but also just brilliantly done. Disappointed it didn't get more fans of their 90s work back into them because it certainly deserved that.

need to get the songs battle restarted imo

C Ab G C
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Really.

Think I put them at 5 iirc so can't really complain about the placing. Very surprised about who came in a place above them, though. Better than Radiohead, Floyd and Led Zep? Certainly not. For me, In Rainbows comes across as a very accessible album, easy to listen to and get into, but also just brilliantly done. Disappointed it didn't get more fans of their 90s work back into them because it certainly deserved that.
    For Floyd and Led Zep there is an argument, but Oasis have undoubtedly inspired more bands than Radiohead. They defined their generation much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Radiohead's evolved sound is much too broad and influenced by far too many disparate genres to say easily what a band "influenced" by Radiohead would really sound like. The most obvious time the general media tried (Muse), it didn't stick - or at least, didn't stick to anyone with a modicum of musical sense.

There's also the point that we still talk about Radiohead in present-tense, and as such it's too early to say what affect they've had on music at large. I don't think they'll be generation-defining in that they represent the thoughts and feelings of a massive group of people, though, that's not the sort of music they write.

Fair post. Can see Radiohead sticking around a fair while longer though their record sales seem to be way down on a few years ago (Noel comfortably outsold them last year despite his release being a good nine months later in the year) so it's hard to see them reaching culturally significant heights again.

Ultimately though the big test is your music being loved generations after it was produced and ultimately I think that's where Oasis will comfortably prove that it was indeed them who were the band of their generation.

Edit - not an argument against spark per se
    Last edited by GIMH; 14-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Also I don't mean any of that as to **** on Radiohead, just commenting on the relative merits given where they finished. Shout out here to Spark's write up as well, very different to the rest and a very interesting read.

There's no way they can or should try to reach the peaks of the 97-01 years. It's just probably not possible, artistically or even mentally (the story of how Kid A was concieved and written in the aftermath of the OK Computer tour is... alarming, to say the least. I read about it after I did the writeup and safe to say it's a lot more complicated that Yorke being a bit pissed-off at how OK Computer was treated in the media/corporate sphere, though that was a big, big part) for them to write music like that again. It's out of their system.

Much more likely is that they'll just continue to make music which blends rock and whatever is happening in electronica. How they'll be recieved 20 years from now really depends on where music is at that time, they'll either have been mostly forgotten by all but their fans or seen as one of the most important bands of all time, there is little chance of an in between. A lot hinges on how Kid A ages in the public - which also depends on where we go as a society, ofc. Whereas Oasis (say) was all about the thoughts/hopes/dreams etc etc of your everyday working class man, Radiohead's music - especially at their two most critical albums, OK Computer and Kid A - has aimed for a more abstract, more basic concern, about establishment, about the use of power in society, about control and the blurring between technology and reality. Those sort of things are a lot harder to talk about in plain song lyrics.

E: One thing that will probably count against them in terms of the influencing-bands stakes as well btw is that their sound is so singular in mainstream music (and before you hipster types start mouthing off, yes, they ARE mainstream, very much so) due to their obvious rock/electronica/jazz/avant-garde fusion style that there is absolutely no way anyone will be able to sound recognisably like Radiohead without drawing unfavourable comparisons to Radiohead, copying Kid A etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by Spark; 14-05-2012 at 10:00 AM.

How was Kid a conceived? What was his beef with the reaction to OK computer?

There's two or three really fascinating - if at times quite difficult viewing - interviews with Yorke on youtube. Thom Yorke is not the most pleasant soul you'll meet, but they do illuminate a lot of how Kid A was put together and where it came from.

One was as I described - this was an album all about anti-corporatism, all against the rat-race materialistic culture we found themselves in... and here it was, being co-opted by that very culture to achieve the ends he'd railed against in that album. An album against reckless greed... being held captive to reckless greed. That was one thing.

The second - and as it turned out much bigger thing - is that they found they despised rock music. Not the music itself, but mostly the baggage that went with it. The pressure of constant, relentless worldwide touring forced onto them by a contract seriously got to them during the OK Computer tour. How To Disappear Completely dates directly from this time and, well... "I'm not here, this isn't happening."

Here: Reflections on Kid A - Radiohead (Documentary) - YouTube
    It's really not much point me trying to explain it in full, he does it far far better.
    "It's not really the music, it's not the sitting on stage, the guitar, the drums, the singing, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the mythology that goes with it. I have a real ****ing problem with it. I have a real problem with the idea that you have to tour yourselves stupid, you know, and do certain things and talk to certain people and this is the way you... I just totally snapped, had enough of it." There was a thing about writer's block too.

And musically, they didn't like the rock music side of it either that much any more. Guitars didn't do anything, straight melody didn't do anything for them. Their adoration of Warp Records before this time is well-documented and they basically turned to that sort of thing instead. Rhythm and synthesisers.
    Last edited by Spark; 14-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Disappointed to learn he didn't name his firstborn Kid B.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    For me, whilst Radiohead are the better band (OK Computer and Kid A being two of the finest albums I've ever heard), Oasis (in the UK at least) simply defined the mid 90s.
    GIMH likes this.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    For Floyd and Led Zep there is an argument, but Oasis have undoubtedly inspired more bands than Radiohead. They defined their generation much more.
    For me its not so much about defining their generation as opposed to them as a band achieving greatness to a further extent than Oasis ever really could. They are a band like no other, really, and the actual music they made stands out so so much. It combines being absolutely beautiful and stunning to listen to most of the time, with being stark, cold and sometimes emotionless. They just managed to get that entire musical spectrum within their catalogue.

I'd say the only band they could be compared to, as i think someone has already said, is Pink Floyd, but only because they are one of the greatest of their generation without being similar to anything else for a majority of their career, and yet still achieving massive amounts as a band. Musically they aren't similar, of course, but i think they may be seen in a similar light in the future.

I'm obviously biased and I had them at #2 but realistically, #4 is pretty damn awesome tbh, considering how ridiculously non-market influenced most of their music is. I don't say that in a smug, hipster way, btw.

Great write-up there btw, Spark.

Just for the personal exercise of it, My top 5 Radiohead songs would be:-

1. Climbing Up The Walls
    2. Pyramid Song
    3. No Surprises
    4. Bulletproof
    5. Idioteque
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Idioteque
    Everything In Its Right Place
    Others

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information