Thread: CW50 - The Bands Edition - No. 6

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

CW50 - The Bands Edition - No. 6

6. Nirvana

Nominations: 16
    3rd Place: 0
    2nd Place: 0
    1st Place: 2

Nirvana were a grunge band from Seattle, Washington during the 1990's. In this time, they brought alternative rock to the mainstream, unleashed a new group of fans, and introduced the grunge scene into the world. But don't get me wrong - they're good.

Nirvana's first album followed the formula set out by bands such as the Pixies and the Melvins, but failed to breakthrough. Nevermind, however, did. Instead of being a solid indie album like most expected, it changed the way people thought about rock. It gave the scene life. One guy said that people who try to hate Nirvana are trying too hard. This reader thinks he's right.

In Utero, a more rawer album, was released, and while it wasn't as received as Nevermind, people still liked it. But then Kurt Cobain, their lead singer and guitarist, fell to heroin addiction and depression, and unfortunately committed suicide in 1994, when the band was still in their prime.

What would've happened to Nirvana had Cobain stayed sober? No one knows. People speculate that they may have gone down a similar route to their live album MTV Unplugged In New York. Others may feel that In Utero paved their path. Yet no-one denies their influence, even if some people felt that Cobain's death glorified the band.

Nirvana Lithium MTV Awards 1992 - YouTube

Line-up

Kurt Cobain – Vocals, Guitars – 1987-94
    Krist Novoselic – Bass Guitar – 1987-94
    Dale Crover – Drums – 1988, 1990
    Chad Channing – Drums – 1988-90
    Jason Everman – Guitar – 1989
    Dave Grohl – Drums – 1990-94

NB – Additional drummers featured in the line-up prior to the release of debut album “Bleach” but were never credited on any official release

Discography

Bleach (1989)
    Nevermind (1991)
    In Utero (1993)

Also

Incesticide (1992) Collection of early singles, b-sides and rarities
    MTV Unplugged In New York (1994) Live release of band’s unplugged performance from November 1993
    From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah (1996) Collection of various live performances
    Nirvana (2002) Compilation of singles, album tracks and one new song
    With The Lights Out (2004) Box-set of unreleased tracks, outtakes and demos
    Sliver: Best Of The Box (2005) Highlights of With The Lights Out
    Live at Reading (2009) Performance from the Reading Festival in 1992
    Icon (2010) Greatest hits album

Write-up by morgieb
    Last edited by GIMH; 12-05-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    224 points, no firsts, seconds or thirds & only six nominations? Shome Mishtake shurely?

Anyway, pedentry aside, again mildly surprised they aren't a place or two higher. Had them down at #21 in my list, which looks a tad tight in retrospect. Looking at who I have ahead tho, maybe not so much tho.

They were an amazing shot in the arm to a moribund 90s music scene & Cobain was, as Noel Gallagher observed, our generation's Lennon. With similarly dire taste in women too.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Sure you meant 6 and not 16?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Jesus, need to fix that up. Sorry.

I will have to check the 2nds and 3rds but the kids are on the comp now so will do it later
    Last edited by GIMH; 12-05-2012 at 03:15 AM.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Love nirvana. Kinda wish the write up went the controversial route and cheekily mentioned cobains mirder. Haha

Dave Grohl, the only guy with two entries in the top list then?

Alan Partridge would be disgusted that Wings didn't make it though
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Nirvana were great. Love Bleach and In Utero, and Nevermind is a great album even if I can't listen to it anymore. Incesticide has about 8 or 9 great tracks, and there are some great moments on Unplugged. My love for them has lessened over the years but there is no denying that they made ****ing great tunes.

Think I actually ranked them 6th myself.

Thanks to morgie for the write-up btw, at short notice as well I might add.

Shouldnt rate in the top 100 really - couple of decent albums held up by a few great songs followed by a suicide

You only have tolook at the bands that have finished just behind them to realise this is nonsense - better than Pink Floyd, Led Zep?

No way on this planet or any other

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Shouldnt rate in the top 100 really - couple of decent albums held up by a few great songs followed by a suicide

You only have tolook at the bands that have finished just behind them to realise this is nonsense - better than Pink Floyd, Led Zep?

No way on this planet or any other
    One guy said that people who try to hate Nirvana are trying too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I dont hate Nirvana by any stretch but Savage Garden has sold a **** load of records too and I dont see them in the top 10

Still 5 to go social, don't count your chickens

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    I dont hate Nirvana by any stretch but Savage Garden has sold a **** load of records too and I dont see them in the top 10
    Possibly because Savage Garden have sold a load of **** records.

Could've at least picked someone decent for your comparison

I used to think Nirvana were very much overrated, however listening to Nevermind and In Utero again many years later, its hard to find faults with either album, certainly the latter. I don't put the Unplugged album as high as others, but it certainly has some gems on it, and shows Cobains ear for taking an idea (in these cases, other peoples songs) and tweaking them to nigh on perfection.

What Nirvana did was (with others of course) basically brought rock back down from the platform it'd put itself on in the 80's and made it connect with young listeners feelings. They are possibly one of the few bands who can actually claim to be the voice of a generation.

Sad as it is, Cobains death protected their legacy, as theres no way they would've been able to keep up the quality over a sustained career, few bands can constantly produce such quality over more than 5-6 years - even the Beatles struggled to 8 or so
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Numbers at the top are correct FTR, just checked

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Numbers at the top are correct FTR, just checked
    Sure, now they are.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Sad as it is, Cobains death protected their legacy, as theres no way they would've been able to keep up the quality over a sustained career, few bands can constantly produce such quality over more than 5-6 years - even the Beatles struggled to 8 or so
    It's all supposition, obvz, but I've always been of the opinion that Unplugged in New York was a pointer for the way Cobain (whether solo or as part of Nirvana) would've gone. I think he'd have toned down the sonic fripperies and become an alt elder statesman like Neil Young or Michael Stipe are now.

Kurt obviously had a huge mancrush on the latter (using REM's long-time producer Scott Litt to polish off the raw edges of Albini's recordings for the In Utero singles), so it's really very frustrating the dickhead topped himself when (really) he'd barely scratched the surface of his talent.

The later clips on With The Lights Out point at more In Utero style stuff for the short term though. Reckon you'd be right long term.

Thread Information