Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

CW50 - The Bands Edition - No. 8

8. Led Zeppelin

Nominations: 12
    3rd Place: 1
    2nd Place: 1
    1st Place: 1

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin formed in 1968 from two UK pop groups, the well-known Yardbirds and not so well-known Band of Joy - Jimmy Page, already an accomplished session musician who had earlier dropped out of the music business to attend art college, had appeared with The Yardbirds while Robert Plant and John-Paul Jones joined from Band of Joy. Originally the new band, featuring vocalist Plant, bass player Jones and John Bonham (possibly the drummer with the heaviest chops ever) was named The New Yardbirds. The name Led Zeppelin apparently came from a throwaway comment made by Who drummer Keith Moon (or bassist John Entwhistle, depending who you believe), stating at a practise that if they played like they were currently playing they'd go down like a lead balloon. Their first eponymous album featured a number of blues re-workings and this is one interesting point which must always be kept in mind when considering the contributions of Led Zeppelin - while for example Eric Clapton personally saw to it that the old bluesmen whose songs he was recording received their royalty payments, Led Zeppelin have shown a strange reluctance to do likewise. That said, their next release Led Zeppelin II was a masterpiece with many fine originals, featuring at least three classic tracks - "Whole Lotta Love", "What Is and What Should Never Be" and "Ramble On". The former, re-worked by Alexis Korner's CCS, was featured as the theme tune to UK pop music showcase Top of the Pops for many years.

Shrewdly guided by their strong-armed manager Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin became one of the biggest rock bands in the world. The band's style began to develop towards more progressive and psychedlic stylings, epitomised by probably their most famous song of all, the epic "Stairway to Heaven" (though not necessarily their best-loved, as anyone who's seen Wayne's World can attest - "No Stairway - denied!") - "Stairway" was one of the highlights of their fourth, untitled album, variously referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, Four Symbols and the Runes Album, as it featured four runes which allegedly represented each of the band members. Interestingly, the band was able to engender huge success despite their decision to eschew the release of singles, and notwithstanding this potentially market-limiting device six of their studio albums reached number one in the US. Following the less well-received Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti was released, another classic with an innovative cover design featuring a tenement building with cut-out windows and scenes visible on the inner sleeves. The band's popularity was by now at an all-time high, as evidenced by five sell-out nights at London's Earls Court, and in terms of record sales they were even outstripping the Stones. However, injuries to Plant sustained in a car crash and the relative failure of the concert movie The Song Remains the Same, which some thought a trifle pretentious and a poor substitute for a live show, saw the band take something of a knock. They toured North America successfully in 1977, however this would be their last appearance there.

The 1978 release In Through the Out Door garnered mixed reviews, though it still topped the charts either side of the Atlantic, however the death of Bonham in 1980 led to the rest of the group members deciding to disband. They reunited for a disappointing 1988 appearance featuring Bonham's son Jason on drums, and again in 2007 with more success. In 1995 Led Zeppelin was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Members

Robert Plant - Vocals
    Jimmy Page - Guitars
    John Paul Jones - Bass Guitar and Keyboards
    John Bonham - Drums and Percussion

Discography

Led Zeppelin (1969)
    Led Zeppelin II (1969)
    Led Zeppelin III (1970)
    Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
    Houses of the Holy (1973)
    Physical Graffiti (1975)
    Presence (1976)
    In Through the Out Door (1979)
    Coda (1982)

Also
    3 Live Albums, 9 Compilation Albums

Write-up by chasingthedon
    Last edited by GIMH; 10-05-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Didn't vote for them myself, but can't argue with their inclusion, after all they're Led Zeppelin.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I thought they would be in the top 5.

They were my number 1.

Just to point out, Plant is also from Wolverhampton.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Again, as with Queen, slightly suprised they aren't higher, but I'm basing that on who I'm supposing we still have to come & might be completely wrong about those left.

Not in my twenty-five, but no worries about them being up there; few quality-control issues with their output, but some absolute classics too.

Have to say The Song Remains The Same is pretty much impossible to watch with a straight face after This is Spinal Tap tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Didn't vote for them myself, but can't argue with their inclusion, after all they're Led Zeppelin.
    Same. I preferred the Yardbirds, myself.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Such a great effort so far with all the write ups.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Well they once featured Sandy Denny so they must be worthy.

Never been a massive fan but can't deny that Led Zep IV is bloody great.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    That's a bit too low for my liking. Never knew that bit about Led Zeppelin I and the band not paying royalties. It's their best album as far as I'm concerned and that's very disappointing to me.

All these great writeups make me feel like I took a bad approach to mine.
    RIP Craigos

I've loved all the write ups. All coming from different angles. The fact that we got 48 out of 50 with a decent turnaround is a great effort.

Chasingthedon deserved special praise for contributing so many without actually voting btw.
    Last edited by GIMH; 10-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.

As for Led Zep...they were on my short list but never really troubled the scorers, so to speak. I love a heap of their songs, especially Kashimir, and their influence on bands I love like GNR and oasis can't be ignored, but I've never really connected with them. More of a Sabbath man.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I've loved all the write ups. All coming from different angles. The fact that we got 48 out of 50 with a decent turnaround is a great effort.

Chasingthedon deserved special praise for contributing so many without actually voting btw.
    I would have done had I not been traveling at the time - I'd post my 25 anyway if I thought anyone but me gave a sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    I would have done had I not been traveling at the time - I'd post my 25 anyway if I thought anyone but me gave a sh!t.
    I'd have a gander for one.

Hoping Corrin will do a "Guess the poster based on their 25s" type thing after this. Be interesting to see who's the most and least predictable.

Be interesting to see, for sure

@chasingthedon

Could swear I've already read that Brumby post

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd have a gander for one.

Hoping Corrin will do a "Guess the poster based on their 25s" type thing after this. Be interesting to see who's the most and least predictable.
    Well I'm the only one with Pistols at number 1, so that guessing game would be short for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Could swear I've already read that Brumby post
    Senior moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information