Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It was 30 years ago today ............

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc

It was 30 years ago today ............

That the Malvinas/Falklands were invaded

In the following few weeks hundreds of young men died fighting over a few rocky outcrops that logic always suggested to me, but obviously not too many others, the UK should have nothing to do with

......... but hey ho what does it matter - after all the Iron Lady romped home in the 1983 election on the back of a wave of nationalistic fervour that has never been equalled in my lifetime - not that her trailing in the polls in 1982 would've had anything whatsoever to do with the military, rather than diplomatic option being taken, obviously

So it was all worthwhile and no one died in vain

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Children. Remain calm. The Falkland Islands have just been invaded. I repeat: the Falklands have just been invaded!

The disputed islands lie here off the coast of Argentina.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Never really sure what to make of this particular incident to be honest.

Has always struck me as a lot of fighting over a few rocky outcrops, as Fred terms them.

But at the same time, if the majority of the inhabitants of said outcrops wish to remain under British sovereignty (which as I understand things is the case), then they're as deserving as protection as anyone else.

It was a massive turning point in the culture and politics of the 1980s. Before it, Thatcher was widely viewed as a disaster. Afterwards, she was unassailable. Whether Labour under Michael Foot would have stayed way ahead in the polls is unlikely, certainly once the economy had started to pick up.

Was it worth it? Almost certainly not. Did it deflect attention from the diplomatic cock-up before the conflict? You bet. Did it save Thatcher's bacon? Maybe, but Labour were increasingly perceived as unelectable so maybe not.

One vaguely related memory was Jim Davidson doing a particularly vile routine on TV at the end of the year. Spotting an American in the audience, he decided to make some gratuitously offensive reference to the Falklands being like Vietnam, except that we won. What a wanker.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Jim Davidson is vileness personified though, so this does not surprise me. Guy's a complete ****.

I'm aware of the political significance of the whole issue for sure, the benefits reaped by Thatcher and the Tories was huge. I've just never really been sure if this was really the right/wrong thing to do. Basically comes down to what I said in my previous post to be honest.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    We should celebrate by nuking Argentina.

Seems as good a reason as any to give this an airing

Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

Has always struck me as a lot of fighting over a few rocky outcrops, as Fred terms them.

But at the same time, if the majority of the inhabitants of said outcrops wish to remain under British sovereignty (which as I understand things is the case), then they're as deserving as protection as anyone else.
    In the end I find that the strongest argument. Yes, it's a few outcrops half a world away but it's a key part of the social contract. You pay taxes - a part of which I assumed ended up in UK hands - then you expect the military to help you out when another country starts invading your home. Don't see the point of having one otherwise.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    At the end of the day the Falkland Islands are ours to defend. The People of the Islands were happy with being under British Rule

So sad to see the British Solders pass away during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

Same as Gibraltar - whilst the significance of both might be lessening, we shouldn't hand them back to crying Spaniards or Argentinians whilst the inhabitants of both wish to remain British.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Same as Gibraltar - whilst the significance of both might be lessening, we shouldn't hand them back to crying Spaniards or Argentinians whilst the inhabitants of both wish to remain British.
    Would you have gone to war if China had taken Hong Kong by force?

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    In the end I find that the strongest argument. Yes, it's a few outcrops half a world away but it's a key part of the social contract. You pay taxes - a part of which I assumed ended up in UK hands - then you expect the military to help you out when another country starts invading your home. Don't see the point of having one otherwise.
    Agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

The islands are self-evidently Argentinian - the idea that it is beyond the wit of two civilised sovereign states in the 21st century to come up with a compromise that is acceptable all round is patently absurd - I'm just grateful that Argentina have no armed forces to speak of any more otherwise I dread to think what might happen in 18 months time if the Tories are a bit windy about the outcome of the next election

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The islands are self-evidently Argentinian - the idea that it is beyond the wit of two civilised sovereign states in the 21st century to come up with a compromise that is acceptable all round is patently absurd - I'm just grateful that Argentina have no armed forces to speak of any more otherwise I dread to think what might happen in 18 months time if the Tories are a bit windy about the outcome of the next election
    Why should Britain compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Why should Britain compromise?
    Because we are squatters and on borrowed time

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information