Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It was 30 years ago today ............

One thing I will say of Mrs Thatcher though, is that regardless of her philosophy, you knew exactly where she was coming from on whatever issue. I don't think that this is something that can be said of the rather oily Mr Cameron, and in hindsight, it cannot be said of Mr Blair either.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    young people killing themselves due to the state of pop music at the time, therefore affecting the number of labour voters.

(that was a joke but there was probably that demographic shift when young people (babyboomers in this case) turn old and start considering voting for the right party. that's just a theory jesus christ shut up i was just making a joke damnit)
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    One thing I will say of Mrs Thatcher though, is that regardless of her philosophy, you knew exactly where she was coming from on whatever issue. I don't think that this is something that can be said of the rather oily Mr Cameron, and in hindsight, it cannot be said of Mr Blair either.
    Quite. Arguably the first ideologue we had as PM since Atlee. Completely overturned the post-war consensus.

& almost certainly likely to be the last one too; these days elections seem to be won by whichever party most successfully occupies the middle ground.

Anyway, fred's point is well made. In fact Morrissey & Elvis Costello have both released songs wishing her dead in pretty explicit terms.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    For all his faults I think you can say it (at least to a certain extent) for poor old Gordon, even if as Brumby said it rather harder to be that sort of politician these days.

Blair is an odd one that's for sure but New Labour was definetly more than about just winning electon.

Cameron just a presenter really, feel even when he tries to impose a particular kind of vision on his politics is just doesn't convince, 'Big society' being the chief example.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post

Blair is an odd one that's for sure but New Labour was definetly more than about just winning electon. .
    Yeah it was about inviting celebs to come and snort coke in the downing street toilets, and bragging about the booming economy you inherited whilst saving nothing
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah it was about inviting celebs to come and snort coke in the downing street toilets, and bragging about the booming economy you inherited whilst saving nothing
    Ok.

Blair is an odd one that's for sure but New Labour was definetly more than about just winning electon.
    Yeah, I agree, I just think by the end of it nobody was entirely certain what this was.

Well Tony decided he could save the world....

Yes, one gets the feeling he may have had one eye on his legacy when making such a decision actually...

Was obsessed with his legacy if most political commentators are to be believed but his moral crusade about Iraq was genuine.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ok.
    Just trying to spice things up ahead of next Thursday

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    RE: first part of the question, why the electoral success. What reasons can be added to the below, and are the below correct?

Nationalistic fervour surround Falklands conflict.
    Policies which put pain upon groups and cities that weren't voting for her anyway.
    The emergence of the Alliance and deterioration of the Labour Party.
    Andrew Marr did a brilliant book/series on the Making of Modern Britain if you can find it.

Amazingly its a field I've never really studied too much, but my slight knowledge suggests a few factors

A) The hard times of the 70's associated with Labour policies
    B) Implosion at the top of Labour basically gave the Tories a bye in 79
    C) Although her policies were not popular, especially economically, sticking to her convictions and seeing them through gave more stability than chopping and changing on a whim, and started to produce the some results after a few years.
    D) Falklands. Everyone secretly loves a good war when we win.
    E) Foot wasnt the man for the challenge, Labour failed to put up a good challenge first time, and never really gave Kinnock a solid platform to work from afterwards
    F) Most Northern/Labour supporters remember the Miners strikes as Thatchers worst moment, but there was a strong feeling elsewhere (even at the top of the Labour Party, especially Kinnock) that Scargill was deliberately making the situation work, with his flash mob tactics effectively bullying miners into striking. Made it difficult for Labour to effectively condemn the Governments actions as they'd have to admit that Scargill was exasperating the situation too. Again, made Thatcher look strong & convicted and Labour weak and disorganized.

Probably get argued at some of those, so fire away, I'm not claiming it as Gospel truth, just a few of my own opinions
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post

A) The hard times of the 70's associated with Labour policies
    B) Implosion at the top of Labour basically gave the Tories a bye in 79
    C) Although her policies were not popular, especially economically, sticking to her convictions and seeing them through gave more stability than chopping and changing on a whim, and started to produce the some results after a few years.
    D) Falklands. Everyone secretly loves a good war when we win.
    E) Foot wasnt the man for the challenge, Labour failed to put up a good challenge first time, and never really gave Kinnock a solid platform to work from afterwards
    F) Most Northern/Labour supporters remember the Miners strikes as Thatchers worst moment, but there was a strong feeling elsewhere (even at the top of the Labour Party, especially Kinnock) that Scargill was deliberately making the situation work, with his flash mob tactics effectively bullying miners into striking. Made it difficult for Labour to effectively condemn the Governments actions as they'd have to admit that Scargill was exasperating the situation too. Again, made Thatcher look strong & convicted and Labour weak and disorganized.

This is what I was trying to say

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information