Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It was 30 years ago today ............

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    So you also think stopping trade and boycotting Iran is also open to criticism, or maybe Pakistan as well because they are buying Iranian gas for their energy needs?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    So you also think stopping trade and boycotting Iran is also open to criticism, or maybe Pakistan as well because they are buying Iranian gas for their energy needs?
    Well, no. You'll notice I didn't say anything about Iran or Pakistan.

So it isn't open to criticism and therefore right?

It's Argentina's right if they want to stop trade. No one should complain about that.
    It depends - are Argentina refusing to trade with the Falklands, or are they preventing other nations trading with the Falklands?

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    So it isn't open to criticism and therefore right?
    I have absolutely no knowledge about the trade regime in Iran, as it's not a part of the WTO. I think I may have misunderstood your above post, but my overall position on the matter is that the decision of any government on anything is open to criticism. End of. Particularly if the acts of said Government are illegal, which by the sounds of things the Argentine position RE: the Falklands absolutely is.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It depends - are Argentina refusing to trade with the Falklands, or are they preventing other nations trading with the Falklands?
    Exactly. I accept when a nation itself refuses to trade, but when they prevent others from trading, then it becomes a disgraceful act.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I have absolutely no knowledge about the trade regime in Iran, as it's not a part of the WTO. I think I may have misunderstood your above post, but my overall position on the matter is that the decision of any government on anything is open to criticism. End of. Particularly if the acts of said Government are illegal, which by the sounds of things the Argentine position RE: the Falklands absolutely is.
    OK fair enough.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    My understanding is that they're saying if you trade with them, we won't trade with you.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The self-determination stuff is all a smokescreen though - if what was within the islands territorial waters was of no interest then the islands would've been Argentinian years before Thatcher's stunt
    This is obviously true but at the same time I don't think it means self-determination shouldn't be a factor. Just because politicians use it as an excuse doesn't mean we can't believe in it for real, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    This is obviously true but at the same time I don't think it means self-determination shouldn't be a factor. Just because politicians use it as an excuse doesn't mean we can't believe in it for real, after all.
    It also doesn't explain why we've held onto Gibraltar.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The self-determination stuff is all a smokescreen though - if what was within the islands territorial waters was of no interest then the islands would've been Argentinian years before Thatcher's stunt
    Yeah exactly, the self-determination argument has a lot of merit but it is in no way the reason why the Falklands are still British.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Some very interesting articles on this issue on the BBC. Not all of Argentina supports the claim and there's massive concerns that the Falklands are again being used to mask the failings of the government on Domestic policy. I really don't see how you can ignore the rights of the Islanders themselves to choose their future.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    There was no indigenous population on the Falklands before thru were colonised, was there?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    There was no indigenous population on the Falklands before thru were colonised, was there?
    I think there had been a Spanish colony, but it had disappeared by the time the British laid claim to them. I'm pretty sure that Argentina's claim is based on the Spanish never having officially ceded the territory when their colony failed. No indigenous people though, I believe.

cpr
    I believe the British Government were actually considering a dual sovereignty plan just before Argentina invaded - Which was basically the military juanta diverting attention from home.

Also, British colonalists had been on and off the Island since before Argentina was an independant country. Also there were no native inhabitants when European settlers first arrived, making Argentina's claim quite thin in my eyes.

In addition, the people see themselves as British, and want to stay as such. Deciding factor for me.

Who cares who its nearer to, if you rock up uninvited, with guns, and seize control, it aint yours (not anymore anyway!)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information