Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash

The Hobbit

Figured I would make a thread for this movie. Realise it is a long time to go before it is released but I just re-read the book. Has anyone else re-read it recently or have any comments about the planning for the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

BMJ
    Yes i know about this movie it is releted to lord of the rings battle for middle earth na.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Am re-reading it (amongst other things) at the moment actually. Enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Love the Dwarf song in the trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Am re-reading it (amongst other things) at the moment actually. Enjoying it more than I thought I would.
    Cool. When you have read a decent part of it - please give your views on whether it should be two movies or better as one...

I would prefer two films, since there are too many good parts in the book to miss out on or shorten.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I would prefer two films, since there are too many good parts in the book to miss out on or shorten.
    I think I would just have the one movie. Otherwise the march through the forest is going to take forever. I mean each LOTR book was just as long as the hobbit.

When did you read the book - how fresh is it in your memory?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I'm backing the movie to be at least 12 hours long and require 8 piss breaks.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Should've been just one film, really. Yeah there's plenty of detail in the book that they can include, but if you want all of it, you just want the book. Stick with that.

There's no point I can see in the middle of the book working as a ending, it'll just be a year-long interval. And yes, I felt the same way about the last Harry Potter film(s). Just a cash cow decision.

It seems to be a modern (and cash motivated) trend in the cream of TV at the minute not to really bother with beginning or ending episodes, and that now seems to be leaking into films. One thing I notice about Breaking Bad, good as it is, is that it never really bothers to end its episodes, and the even the end to the first season was just midway through a scene. The other day I tried to get back to where I was after not watching for a few days, and honestly couldn't remember how many episodes of season 2 I'd watched. Arcs last between half an episode and half a dozen episodes, but very rarely one.

It's just continuous. The Wire, Mad Men, Lost, etc all do this too. It seems to be that the episode as the length of a story arc is now confined to sitcoms.

Meanwhile, in film, we're getting adaptations split up seemingly arbitrarily - the other biggest cash cow franchise, Twilight, got the treatment as well - and Marvel is producing half a dozen films at once with characters that all leak into each other. I wonder if it's not long before every mainstream blockbuster gets made in two or three parts.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Should've been just one film, really. Yeah there's plenty of detail in the book that they can include, but if you want all of it, you just want the book. Stick with that.

There's no point I can see in the middle of the book working as a ending, it'll just be a year-long interval. And yes, I felt the same way about the last Harry Potter film(s). Just a cash cow decision.

It seems to be a modern (and cash motivated) trend in the cream of TV at the minute not to really bother with beginning or ending episodes, and that now seems to be leaking into films. One thing I notice about Breaking Bad, good as it is, is that it never really bothers to end its episodes, and the even the end to the first season was just midway through a scene. The other day I tried to get back to where I was after not watching for a few days, and honestly couldn't remember how many episodes of season 2 I'd watched. Arcs last between half an episode and half a dozen episodes, but very rarely one.

It's just continuous. The Wire, Mad Men, Lost, etc all do this too. It seems to be that the episode as the length of a story arc is now confined to sitcoms.

Meanwhile, in film, we're getting adaptations split up seemingly arbitrarily - the other biggest cash cow franchise, Twilight, got the treatment as well - and Marvel is producing half a dozen films at once with characters that all leak into each other. I wonder if it's not long before every mainstream blockbuster gets made in two or three parts.
    You watched Twilight!!!!

@Hurricane, It's been a few years since I last read the Hobbit.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Should be boycotted until the bastards stop picking on that pub in Southampton

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Nothing wrong with Twilight from what I've seen (which granted, is not much). Doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, but as far as I can tell it's well made and makes no secret about what it is. Just one of those things that has become fashionable to hate on as far as I can tell.

RE: The Hobbit, worst thing about reading it is the bloody songs. Happen far too often and go on for ages. Tend to skip over them whenever they arise.

Saw a little bit of Twilight and couldn't watch any more. Terrible

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Won't be as good as the animated movie done years ago.

Found the Hobbitt a lot better read than LOTR tbh. Just not a fan of the latter at all.

But I think the whole fantasy genre is really the train spotting of literature. It's fans are similarly wonky and lacking in any semblance of interest in the real world, for the most part.

"Oooh err, a ****ing Orc".

Wake up to yourselves, ****s.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    But I think the whole fantasy genre is really the train spotting of literature. It's fans are similarly wonky and lacking in any semblance of interest in the real world, for the most part.

"Oooh err, a ****ing Orc".

Wake up to yourselves, ****s.
    Not sure how I could defend my love of fantasy without proving Burgeys point. Why would you want to consume entertainment based on the real world? Don't we get enough of this ****ing place day to day?

Middle earth/Westeros/Malazan/The Land/etc ftw.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information