Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan Massacre

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    TBH, IRL, I think it does have to do with the amount of pull the affected country has.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yes it does. It must. But that doesn't make the two things the same.
    And how much pull do you think Afghanistan had in this?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    This

And how much pull do you think Afghanistan had in this?
    Very little. But you're still conflating two very different things.

It's a sad fact of life that these days first world democracies generally get involved in these things in developing countries which aren't democracies. I'm not saying its right, but it's so. The Afghan government (as it then was) might have thought about these sorts of things before they refused to hand over a bloke who killed 2,000 citizens of the World's only superpower. That doesn't excuse a decade long war of course, but there we are.

Maybe they should have handed Bin Laden over. Might have saved the Afghan people a lot of anguish, though no doubt they'd have had their own kind to dispense.
    Last edited by Burgey; 13-03-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    What's you opinion of rogue Afghani soldiers going on a shooting spree and killing American soldiers (as well as soldiers from other countries), just out of interest?

I'm not saying this justifies killing women and children by the way...but I'm assuming you'd have equally strong views against it.
    I don't think rogue Afghanis have a mental breakdown like this guy did when they go on a shooting spree. They were most likely working for the Taliban or some other terrorist group.

It is a cowardly act to mix in with the occupiers and then kill them when they least expect it. However it's not the same as killing civilians, especially children. These were soldiers and they knew the risks in trusting the Afghan police and waging a war in a foreign country. Plus both sides are fighting a war and I don't think something like this would be against the conventions of warfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

I really don't understand what Post WWII Germany has to do with this Smali.

US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghans could be executed, says Leon Panetta - Telegraph

According to Panetta, this soldier could face death penalty. Why is the Head of the CIA making this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghans could be executed, says Leon Panetta - Telegraph

According to Panetta, this soldier could face death penalty. Why is the Head of the CIA making this statement?
    Maybe it's true. I don't know if there's a federal death penalty in the States (i didn't think there was) but maybe there is in the military code.

Edit: just re-reading it, seems there is.
    Last edited by Burgey; 13-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.

He's only stating the facts - that the punishment for this type of a crime can lead to a death penalty. He's also probably trying to calm the intense anger of Afghanis by subtly suggesting he will get the death penalty.

Maybe it's true. I don't know if there's a federal death penalty in the States (i didn't think there was) but maybe there is in the military code.

Edit: just re-reading it, seems there is.
    The death penalty is legal in many of the southern States here, and as you stated, is an option under the military code as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    The death penalty is legal in many of the southern States here, and as you stated, is an option under the military code as well.
    Yeah, I had it in mind there was no Federal death penalty statute in the US for some reason, so if for example you committed an otherwise capital offense in say, the District of Columbia, you would get life, but if it was in say, Texas, you'd get the needle.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I really don't understand what Post WWII Germany has to do with this Smali.
    I was just drawing a parallel between how much say Germany had post WWII in its fate and policies and "treaties" and how much Afghanistan has.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I don't think rogue Afghanis have a mental breakdown like this guy did when they go on a shooting spree. They were most likely working for the Taliban or some other terrorist group.

It is a cowardly act to mix in with the occupiers and then kill them when they least expect it. However it's not the same as killing civilians, especially children. These were soldiers and they knew the risks in trusting the Afghan police and waging a war in a foreign country. Plus both sides are fighting a war and I don't think something like this would be against the conventions of warfare.
    You seem to get guys going on these mental breakdowns from time to time - I don't know whether there has ever been an Afghan do this, but you hear about it in a lot of countries... UK/US/Norway/Netherlands come immediately to mind as recent examples. We don't really know the background at all, but if it's something like a total mental breakdown which could be triggered by all sorts of things going on in the man's personal life, that's different from a sane person planning deliberately and cynically to kill some local children. In a political sense, and in terms of the response required I mean... not in the level of the tragedy, obviously.

What does the Geneva convention/laws of warfare say about disguising as an Ally and then killing the enemy soldiers when they least expect it during a war? Similar to what the rogue Afghan police officer did with the US soldiers. Is it counted as a fair kill in war?

Yeah, I had it in mind there was no Federal death penalty statute in the US for some reason, so if for example you committed an otherwise capital offense in say, the District of Columbia, you would get life, but if it was in say, Texas, you'd get the needle.
    McVeigh; federal death penalty rare, but possible outside of the military also.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    McVeigh; federal death penalty rare, but possible outside of the military also.
    Cheers mate.

What does the Geneva convention/laws of warfare say about disguising as an Ally and then killing the enemy soldiers when they least expect it during a war? Similar to what the rogue Afghan police officer did with the US soldiers. Is it counted as a fair kill in war?
    Absolutely not.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information