Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who watches reality TV?

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I prefer the human drama on reality shows in terms of the actual dialogue between the characters. Just seems more realistic what they say to each other compared to Coronation street.
    Doesn't make it good though.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Doesn't make it good though.
    Some of it is attrocious. Some of it you can learn some life lessons from. I remember in an apprentice episode there was this marketing manager. And I could relate to her because I used to be a marketing manager. We don't get direct reports instead we have to influence people to do what we want so we never learn how to direct people.
    So in the apprentice her turn came to be a project manager. And she was just garbage at it because she kept trying to persuade people into doing things and finding group consensus instead of just telling people what needed to be done.

That was a good episode.

As was the apprentice episode where every one lied and claimed that one of the other contestants had mental problems so that she would be eliminated from the game. Seemed like something that would happen in real life.

They did a study when TV was first introduced on two american towns. One had TV and one didn't have TV. They ran tests on the teenagers at the end of the first year. They found that the town without TV had better concentration skills and was more imaginative. The town with TV had better people skills.

Reality TV is like a lesson in people skills - watching how people interact even if they know they are on TV and even if they are told to ham it up for the camera. Would be even better if it was less "influenced" by the producers but there you go.

Another good reality show was the paradise hotel one - where at the end two couples won 20 000 - but only one person in the couple was given the money and was told that they could split it or keep it. One girl with a weak personality chose to keep the money to herself as she needed the money to launch her singing career. Watching her tell her partner that he was getting any money was awesome TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Would say the best life lessons one can learn from reality TV is how not to behave itbt. In my experience anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    True on many levels. Some of them are shocking examples of behaviour. Others traps you could see yourself falling into.

Cricket Spectator
    I have to admit I have a bit of an addiction to Survivor.

Just watched tonight's episode of the Apprentice. More pondlife parading around pretending to be businessmen.

Love the way when the candidates introduce themselves they give ridiculously stupid titles to their previous occupations though:

"Yes hello, I'm a drinks distribution entrepreneur".

Or even better:

"I'm the Director of a Fine Wine Investment Company".

That's before we get onto the guy who proudly champions the fact that he moonlights as a "pro-wrestler".

This is all made easier to stomach by the way the BBC tells us they're "the finest business minds in the country". GAGF.

Oh, and they all wear horrid suits as well. Dire.

Daresay I'll still watch next week though.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The way your economy is going, they probably are the finest business minds in the country.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Burn
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information