Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who watches reality TV?

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    In my view there should be a better distinction between reality shows like The Amazing Race/Survivor/The Apprentice, those like Masterchef/Hells Kitchen and those like Jersey Shore/Kardashians.

The first group are the reality shows I love, taking a bunch of people and putting them in unreal situations to observe their reactions, with something major on the line (be it $1million or another attractive prize). Essentially you don't need any talent to win them so in a true sense anyone can be successful in them - but the interesting part is how people use what skills they do possess to advance themselves in the competition. I also find it interesting to watch otherwise rational people engage in conflict between each other almost exclusively because of the carrot offered of winning.

The second group does involve some talent (like being able to actually cook) but I find that food reality shows don't give enough conflict between contestants and therefore I don't find them as interesting or compelling as the first group of shows. And those shows like Hells Kitchen which try to create conflict between contestants often seem contrived.

The final group of shows can hardly be classed as reality television IMO. Whilst the characters might claim to be real and the setting representing their reality, I think its basically non-scripted acting for the most part. Rather than playing for a prize of being the last one standing, the goal is to promote themselves and their image (or lack thereof). I think thats where reality television gets most of its bad name from, rather than the jokes about season 100 of Survivor.
    Last edited by Somerset; 07-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Have always watched "The Amazing Race". Though I think Social isn't referring to reality competition shows, but rather the "follow their life" type of shows. The Amazing Race to me has always been high quality TV. Not only do I love the competition aspect of it, but I love the locales that we get to discover through the show.
    I've always been a big fan of The Amazing Race also (although the last season with Jenna/Ethan was one of the poorer seasons). Really enjoying this season so far though. I think the key to The Amazing Race's success is that not only do you get such a wonderful look at different parts of the world, their cultures and attractions, but you get conflict from the characters not only between individual teams but between individuals within each team. Survivor's my number one reality tv show but TAR isn't too far behind.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    Actually has good judges too, especially Tom 'needs more salt' Colicchio. Much better than watching Matt Preston fawn over the one sobbing contestant who managed not to horribly overcook a steak.

Preston's become a caricature of himself...someone needs to tighten that ****ing thing around his neck until his face turns purple. He looks like a canetoad wearing a suit.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Only thing worse than the people who are reality TV obsessives are the people who always bag out reality TV.
    Nah, some people just hate 'reality' shows. Reality TV obsessives are generally vacuous to the point of being a complete waste of time to talk to. My mate's married to one, and she's a ****ing airhead.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I've got no problem with people hating reality TV, I don't particularly love it it myself. Don't spend my days ripping into ****s who do like it though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I've got no problem with people hating reality TV, I don't particularly love it it myself. Don't spend my days ripping into ****s who do like it though.
    There's a big difference between days and seconds

the only tv i watch is sport and the occasional cartoon

dumb**** reality **** can gagf
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Ironically for such a fat ****, I have no truck with food shows. Heston Blumenthal is vaguely interesting when he fashions an edible, fully-functioning volcano out of ground up breeze blocks and ram semen, but generally I think we missing the two main senses food works on with telly.

Best "reality tv" series I saw was a BBC behind the scenes look at Peter Reid's first (and only as it happened) season in the Prem with Sunderland. It was before footballers got all media-savvy and everyone was blase about reality tv, so (seemed to) give some genuine insights.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Haha, gold. Except it was hosted by the devil.

Jenny Ball for coach!

Chicken ended his playing career and took up a role on Big Brother.

Ugh, switched over to 10 to watch the Swimming Championships, only for "The Biggest Loser" to still be on. Is just terrible viewing, why do people enjoy watching this rubbish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

State Captain
    just finished the second season of 'for the love of ray j'

luscious is so beautiful!!
    Member of the bring back Bruce Campbell Campaign.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I prefer the human drama on reality shows in terms of the actual dialogue between the characters. Just seems more realistic what they say to each other compared to Coronation street.

That said I don't watch reality TV as most of it is banal.

Worst show of all time was fear factor (which is kinda a reality show probably more game show but I want to criticize it anyway so bare with me)

Typical conversation

So you are just about to jump from a helicopter - are you excited
    Yes I am excited
    Are you really excited
    Yes absolutely I am excited!
    Are you really pumped
    Yes I am absolutely stoked and pumped!
    Are you excited
    Yes i am pumped and excited

And this continues for another minute or so before the stunt happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information