Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Band names

Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar

Band names

As was mentioned in my pen-portrait for the 10 year feature (under the screen name chasingthedon), some time ago and being a keen cricket feature writer I of course wrote a book on how rock bands got their names.

I'm currently researching the second edition and have set up a website which gives access to the first book's entries and also has a page for corrections/submissions. If anyone would like to take the time to add/correct anything please click on the approriate link (i.e. Submit or Contact Us):-

Home

If any are included I'll add your name to the acknowledgements. Thanks!

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Bang on about AC/DC, though I've heard stories about it being a vacuum cleaner instead of a sewing machine. I've heard both stories though.

That's the extent of my knowledge about any band, unless you're planning to add Junoon...
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Felt were a 1980s British alternative rock band led by Lawrence, whose surname was never listed in any credits or press; the band's name was inspired by Tom Verlaine's emphasis of the word "felt" in the Television song "Venus".[1] Lawrence and drummer Gary Ainge were the only constant members, though Ainge is not featured on Felt's first release, recorded solo by Lawrence before the band formed.

Felt are often cited as a major influence by Belle & Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch,[2] as well as by Manic Street Preachers, Christopher Owens of Girls, and American alternative rock group The Tyde. The band released ten albums and ten singles in ten years and then disbanded.

aka the best 'how you got your name' story
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I think your Pearl Jam story is the one that Vedder told to a credulous journo who swallowed it hook, line and sinker. The singer himself admitted to Rolling Stone that is was "total bull****".

The truth, mentioned in the article, is somewhat more prosaic: they were Christened "Pearl" by bassist Jeff Ament & added the second word after a Neil Young gig were he played several 15-20 minute jams.

Of band omitted from your list the godlike Thin White Rope were named after a William Burroughs's description of semen from The Naked Lunch, perennial CW favs The Decemberists take theirs from the 1825 abortive Decembrist Uprising in Russia &, sadly, rumours Bury's finest Elbow took their moniker from nickname of Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal are apocryphal.They actually used a line from Dennis Potter's telly series The Singing Dectective, wherein Michael Gambon says "elbow" is the most sensuous word in English because of the way it feels to say.

Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

I always found how Korn came up with their name interesting.

Korn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The band name is derived from a fan suggestion, "Corn," which the group initially rejected, but later settled on for a lack of better ideas. Later, Shaffer had the idea to spell the name with both a "K" instead of a "C," and a backwards "R," so the band's name would appear as "KoЯn". The logo was designed by lead vocalist Jonathan Davis. Silveria explained, "the music makes the name, because Korn's a dumb name. But once we get established, it makes the name cool."
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I once interviewed Rick Witter and he assured me that his band's name came from the fact their original lead guitarist lost his virginity in a garden shed at the age of seven. To this day, I remain sceptical.

Especially now as I read on Wikipedia: "The band's name derived from a railway shed[1] during a return trip to York; as they approached York railway station, they noticed a small shed on the sidings labelled "Shed 7".
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think your Pearl Jam story is the one that Vedder told to a credulous journo who swallowed it hook, line and sinker. The singer himself admitted to Rolling Stone that is was "total bull****".

The truth, mentioned in the article, is somewhat more prosaic: they were Christened "Pearl" by bassist Jeff Ament & added the second word after a Neil Young gig were he played several 15-20 minute jams.

Of band omitted from your list the godlike Thin White Rope were named after a William Burroughs's description of semen from The Naked Lunch, perennial CW favs The Decemberists take theirs from the 1825 abortive Decembrist Uprising in Russia &, sadly, rumours Bury's finest Elbow took their moniker from nickname of Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal are apocryphal.They actually used a line from Dennis Potter's telly series The Singing Dectective, wherein Michael Gambon says "elbow" is the most sensuous word in English because of the way it feels to say.

William Burroughs should get a medal for the amount of band names his works have inspired.

Thread Information