Thread: Identity cards in the UK

School Boy/Girl Captain LankanPrince's Avatar

Identity cards in the UK

OK what do you people think of UK home secretary David Blunkett's proposal to introduce identity cards to the UK? He may have made some idiotic comments in his time but this a damn good idea. I think that people who have nothing to hide can enjoy this proposal as it better protects the society from the wrongdoers in the society. People can enjoy the benefits which they deserve. It should also help root out the unnecessary illegal asylum seekers in the UK. I can appreciate that people seek asylum if they are genuinely being persecuted in their country. But some of the 'economic' illegal asylum seekers give a bad stereotypical impression of the UK's ethnic communities to the English. If they are identified more effectively it should help send them back to their native countries and make Britain better for everyone. I may be a foreigner to the UK but I can understand English peoples' concerns about asylum seekers having priority for areas such as housing. After all they are the original people in this country and they deserve better.
    Rudeboy master of controversy
    Supporting the Sri Lankan boyz

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Technically, we're not the original people in this county. I believe that was the Neanderthals and they're long dead, most of us are descended from Roman/Scandinavian/Angles/Saxon/Norman/Jute invaders around 700-2100 years ago :P

I'm in opposition to ID cards because there is such potential for abuse of information - they will include fingerprints and Iris recognition. And as for "uncopiable"? Nothing is uncopiable.

I feel the government are trying to find some way out of the asylum hole they keep on digging by trying to pander to both left- and right- wing sensibilities at the same time with the resultant complete mess.

FACT - Birth rate is falling and people are living longer
    FACT - Dependency ratio is sky-rocketing
    FACT - We then have less people to pay for more
    FACT - There are two ways to get more people
    FACT - Immigrants and Births
    FACT - We've just ruled out the latter

So the criminalisation and hype and general victimisation, persecution and blame of immigrants really doesn't help too much, does it?
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 13-11-2003 at 01:53 PM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Rik
    Well people can already find out everything they need to know about me on my Driving Liscence...

My Address
    My Age
    My Name
    The Fact I Can Drive
    My Nationality (although it does not show I have dual-nationality)

I'm not opposed to it, although I already have a CitizenCard which is National Proof of Age. Anyway if they sorted this ID card out we would all have to pay for it I bet...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    The talk is that it will be a voluntary scheme for which you will have to pay for the privilege (about 40 pounds).

Amazingly enough, a passport isn't classified as proof of identity according to at least one high street store. Mrs LE applied for a storecard several months ago (which came through ok) then last week she went in to the store in question to buy something.

They said "It isn't activated"
    She said "Activate the damned thing then"
    Thay said "Have you proof of identity?"
    She said "Here's my passport"
    They said "That's no good. It doesn't have your address on."

Incidentally, nor would the ID card.

To tell the truth, the only people who make a great issue about asylum seekers are the Daily Express, the Daily Mail and my mother-in-law (fascists all). After all, I'm descended from immigrants myself (Dutch, Romany and *choke* Scots) blood taint my otherwise pure Derbyshire/Angle/Saxon/Jute/Isini/Viking/Duck.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Personally I'm in favour of them if they can replace every other bit of info in one (Passport, Driving License, NI card etc.)

Technology should enable that to happen IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Ive got no problem with carrying around an identity card, if it makes illegal activities harder, and stamps out on the illegal immigration problem, then i dont see how it can cause any harm...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    If it makes illegal activities harder, and stamps out on the illegal immigration problem, then i dont see how it can cause any harm...
    Thing is, I'm yet to be convinced it will do either.

Sounds like England could use some more female cricketers to immigrate. I think I can organise that.
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Thread Information