Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher Hitchens Dies

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Majority of Muslims don't support the extremists who burn everything the moment their feeling are hurt and this was pointed out to Hitchens in the video and yet he still went on and on about that minority 1%. He was always someone who fanned the fire and liked to be controversial just to get publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It's fine saying it's only 1% (whether it's as low as that is something I'm rather dubious about), but when that 1% causes such death, destruction and influence over the population as they disproportionately do, I think it's fairly reasonable to single them out and make such a fuss over them or whatever you are implying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Majority of Muslims don't support the extremists who burn everything the moment their feeling are hurt and this was pointed out to Hitchens in the video and yet he still went on and on about that minority 1%. He was always someone who fanned the fire and liked to be controversial just to get publicity.
    Incorrect, what he was saying is the other 99% don't actually always condemn the behavior of the more extreme 1%. His point about 'nobody' having a right not to be offended is a good one, and that's what free speech is all about. It doesn't have to be popular speech, but it's 'free' .

Christopher Hitchens was not aware of everything that went on in the local community. In the UK amongst the local Muslim community and especially in Mosques, there are many programmes which are initiated because of these events, in order to try and bring the wider community together. They don't always get media attention. There is a lot of condemnation, but that also doesn't get put in the media. It's always the looting and destruction that is shown.

People should also respect other peoples religions. Prophet Muhammad is a very important figure in Islam. And any disrespect is extremely offensive. What gain do people get from saying bad things about him?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    And any disrespect is extremely offensive. What gain do people get from saying bad things about him?

That is an irrelevant question.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

People should also respect other peoples religions.
    Coming from Islam; the religion of freedom and tolerance itself.

What gain do people get from saying bad things about him?
    That's not the point. What gain do people get from being ridiculously sensitive about the matter?

And any disrespect is extremely offensive.
    Not unlike overt sexism, homophobia and barbarism. Actually it's quite unlike that; it's nowhere near as bad.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

People should also respect other peoples religions. Prophet Muhammad is a very important figure in Islam. And any disrespect is extremely offensive. What gain do people get from saying bad things about him?
    I disagree entirely, people's superstitious beliefs (which let's be honest are generally purely an accident of their birth & nothing more) should be as open to satire as ANYTHING else in the world. If you don't get that, you either don't understand what free speech is or you're claiming a special right not to be offended. I don't happen to believe in any of the thousand man-made gods out there, but I don't claim to be offended when religious people tell me that my type are going to hell or the like. Economics, art, food, film etc aren't immune from criticism & satire so why should someone's subjective belief in the cosmos be? This maybe the case in countries that force their citizen's to have one particular belief, but thank goodness it's not the case in the Western world.

Furthermore, this is what I most loved about Hitchen's, he may venomously disagree with your point of view, but he'll even more venomously defend your right to express it.

Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. It's not Islam's fault when some Muslims commit atrocities. During the early Islamic Empires, Muslims, Jews and Christians lived together as one society peacefully. The problems that we are experiencing are recent and as I have said certain Muslims are to blame for it.

I have personally been hurt when my Religion is attacked (and I have every right to be), but I do believe in freedom of speech and condemn Muslims who start committing violence.

But just to let you know, Prophet Muhammad is very important to Muslims and even more so than our Parents.

You haven't answered my question regarding the work local communities are doing to stop extremism. Why didn't Hitchens recognise that then?

Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. It's not Islam's fault when some Muslims commit atrocities. During the early Islamic Empires, Muslims, Jews and Christians lived together as one society peacefully. The problems that we are experiencing are recent and as I have said certain Muslims are to blame for it.
    Actually it is the fault of the religion whether it's Islam or any other religion that teaches fundamentalism, because whilst the vast majority won't take the text literally, many will. And when they have this 'absolute' faith, everything else in the 'real' world including rational thinking becomes secondary. The irony is it's often the relatively moderate teachings that the extreme fundamentalism spawns from.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I have personally been hurt when my Religion is attacked (and I have every right to be), but I do believe in freedom of speech and condemn Muslims who start committing violence.

But just to let you know, Prophet Muhammad is very important to Muslims and even more so than our Parents.
    Again, that's irrelevant. My right to say something does not depend on you approving it. You asking someone has anything to gain from saying something you don't like is completely beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    I disagree entirely, people's superstitious beliefs (which let's be honest are generally purely an accident of their birth & nothing more) should be as open to satire as ANYTHING else in the world. If you don't get that, you either don't understand what free speech is or you're claiming a special right not to be offended. I don't happen to believe in any of the thousand man-made gods out there, but I don't claim to be offended when religious people tell me that my type are going to hell or the like. Economics, art, food, film etc aren't immune from criticism & satire so why should someone's subjective belief in the cosmos be? This maybe the case in countries that force their citizen's to have one particular belief, but thank goodness it's not the case in the Western world.
    There are a lot of converts to Islam even in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Again, that's irrelevant. My right to say something does not depend on you approving it. You asking someone has anything to gain from saying something you don't like is completely beside the point.
    So I don't even have the right to feel bad when someone says something about my religion. And all I have said is that I condemn Muslims who attack. I didn't say anything of you seeking my approval.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information