Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: Drugs

  1. #16
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of legalising drugs. To have doctors or medical practitioners prescribe drugs for people who need them (for example to wean them off drugs).
    Systems to deal with those cases that require to be weaned off drugs are already in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  2. #17
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    Personally,i tend to avoid everything apart from Alcohol.I've tried weed but it didn't do anything for me.I've had some pretty crazy experiences with Alcohol though.

    Alcohol is simple.I just don't feel going through all the hassle of rolling a joint.I smoke cigarettes,but i've never been inclined towards anything more complicated,for the lack of a better word.

  3. #18
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,862
    I guess that's OK, but what about the really hard stuff like Heroin, I mean how would you control the amount people take something like that, and it isn't exactly a recreational drug like weed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  4. #19
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,862
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Personally,i tend to avoid everything apart from Alcohol.I've tried weed but it didn't do anything for me.I've had some pretty crazy experiences with Alcohol though.

    Alcohol is simple.I just don't feel going through all the hassle of rolling a joint.I smoke cigarettes,but i've never been inclined towards anything more complicated,for the lack of a better word.
    How hard is it to get Alcohol in Karachi?


  5. #20
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,092
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    You're right, though drugs are 10x easier to get when legal, i guess you'd have to weigh up the overall loss/gain from either position, its not cut and dry.

    That said, as long as drugs get heavily taxed organised crime will have its place. I know people who will buy black market tobacco, just as an example.
    This is a huge problem, legalising drugs will not eliminate organised crime, it will only increase it and make it harder to police.

    Another problem (potentially anyway) is the rise in number of students taking "performance enhancing drugs" so to aid their studies. Whilst at the moment, it's not particularly commonplace, and isn't banned, my attitude to them remains "if you're doing all you can to succeed whilst staying within the rules then you're entitled to carry on as you will".

    However, even if there are no harmful side effects to taking these types of drugs (which I gather is a matter for debate - and the drugs ftr are to aid you in staying awake longer or something) I still think they ought to be brought under regulation. If it is shown that the drugs in question give some significant advantage to those who choose to take them, then it it's likely to create a rather nasty culture amongst students. Obviously people will want to keep up with their peers, and thus they will perhaps feel inclined to follow suit and take the drugs as well. If the taking of such drugs becomes so commonplace that you're basically being handicapped by not taking them....well, this isn't a nice possibility. Not least because it will favour the rich over the poor, but does anyone really want to live in a society where such a practice is accepted or considered the norm and these values are implicitly encouraged?

    I for one, do not. In fact the prospect is a grim one indeed, surely this totally demeans the entire premise of academic assessment. This sort of thing ought to be stamped out.

  6. #21
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I guess that's OK, but what about the really hard stuff like Heroin, I mean how would you control the amount people take something like that, and it isn't exactly a recreational drug like weed.
    You can't really. But that's no different to me going down to Tesco and buying a quantity of booze that will kill me, which I can do perfectly legally and without being questioned.

    I don't think you'll have tens of thousands of people queueing up to buy enough heroin to OD on anyway. Heroin's not exactly a socially acceptable drug to take. It's also the one drug I'd never touch because of the physical nature of heroin dependence.

    Basically with legalisation you need to educate kids in schools about the risks associated with recreational drug use. Once people are armed with that information, it's their call.

  7. #22
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    How hard is it to get Alcohol in Karachi?
    Not hard at all.There are wineshops in a lot of places.Plus if you want non-local stuff,Bottleggers are only a call away.The same thing is true of Lahore,minus the wineshops.

  8. #23
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Another problem (potentially anyway) is the rise in number of students taking "performance enhancing drugs" so to aid their studies. Whilst at the moment, it's not particularly commonplace, and isn't banned, my attitude to them remains "if you're doing all you can to succeed whilst staying within the rules then you're entitled to carry on as you will".

    However, even if there are no harmful side effects to taking these types of drugs (which I gather is a matter for debate - and the drugs ftr are to aid you in staying awake longer or something) I still think they ought to be brought under regulation. If it is shown that the drugs in question give some significant advantage to those who choose to take them, then it it's likely to create a rather nasty culture amongst students. Obviously people will want to keep up with their peers, and thus they will perhaps feel inclined to follow suit and take the drugs as well. If the taking of such drugs becomes so commonplace that you're basically being handicapped by not taking them....well, this isn't a nice possibility. Not least because it will favour the rich over the poor, but does anyone really want to live in a society where such a practice is accepted or considered the norm and these values are implicitly encouraged?

    I for one, do not. In fact the prospect is a grim one indeed, surely this totally demeans the entire premise of academic assessment. This sort of thing ought to be stamped out.
    Whoa whoa whoa. What drugs are your talking about? I mean, I drank a ****load of energy drinks to get through my A level exams, but what exactly are you reffering to here?
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

  9. #24
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,220
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This is a huge problem, legalising drugs will not eliminate organised crime, it will only increase it and make it harder to police.

    Another problem (potentially anyway) is the rise in number of students taking "performance enhancing drugs" so to aid their studies. Whilst at the moment, it's not particularly commonplace, and isn't banned, my attitude to them remains "if you're doing all you can to succeed whilst staying within the rules then you're entitled to carry on as you will".

    However, even if there are no harmful side effects to taking these types of drugs (which I gather is a matter for debate - and the drugs ftr are to aid you in staying awake longer or something) I still think they ought to be brought under regulation. If it is shown that the drugs in question give some significant advantage to those who choose to take them, then it it's likely to create a rather nasty culture amongst students. Obviously people will want to keep up with their peers, and thus they will perhaps feel inclined to follow suit and take the drugs as well. If the taking of such drugs becomes so commonplace that you're basically being handicapped by not taking them....well, this isn't a nice possibility. Not least because it will favour the rich over the poor, but does anyone really want to live in a society where such a practice is accepted or considered the norm and these values are implicitly encouraged?

    I for one, do not. In fact the prospect is a grim one indeed, surely this totally demeans the entire premise of academic assessment. This sort of thing ought to be stamped out.
    I'd question how much of an advantage is there to be gained from artificially keeping yourself awake, whether that's through caffeine, amphetamines, speed or whatever. My best work has been produced when I've sensibly managed my workload and planned ahead. Funnily enough, I do worse when everything is crammed in at the last minute.

  10. #25
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    Also,legalizing drugs comes down to basic human nature too,no?

    Anything prohibited will always attract a person more.Anything that's not prohibited might not have the same impact.

    Just saying.

  11. #26
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,862
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This is a huge problem, legalising drugs will not eliminate organised crime, it will only increase it and make it harder to police.

    Another problem (potentially anyway) is the rise in number of students taking "performance enhancing drugs" so to aid their studies. Whilst at the moment, it's not particularly commonplace, and isn't banned, my attitude to them remains "if you're doing all you can to succeed whilst staying within the rules then you're entitled to carry on as you will".

    However, even if there are no harmful side effects to taking these types of drugs (which I gather is a matter for debate - and the drugs ftr are to aid you in staying awake longer or something) I still think they ought to be brought under regulation. If it is shown that the drugs in question give some significant advantage to those who choose to take them, then it it's likely to create a rather nasty culture amongst students. Obviously people will want to keep up with their peers, and thus they will perhaps feel inclined to follow suit and take the drugs as well. If the taking of such drugs becomes so commonplace that you're basically being handicapped by not taking them....well, this isn't a nice possibility. Not least because it will favour the rich over the poor, but does anyone really want to live in a society where such a practice is accepted or considered the norm and these values are implicitly encouraged?

    I for one, do not. In fact the prospect is a grim one indeed, surely this totally demeans the entire premise of academic assessment. This sort of thing ought to be stamped out.
    How exactly do these particular drugs help in exams? I mean if that does happen, what about making exams open book?

  12. #27
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I guess that's OK, but what about the really hard stuff like Heroin, I mean how would you control the amount people take something like that, and it isn't exactly a recreational drug like weed.
    Opioids are controlled substances that require a valid indication for disbursement. Again, there already exist systems and protocols to deal with these situations. "Oops, I got addicted, gimme more" is not a particularly effective method of getting a prescription in most countries that have these systems in place.

  13. #28
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Also,legalizing drugs comes down to basic human nature too,no?

    Anything prohibited will always attract a person more.Anything that's not prohibited might not have the same impact.

    Just saying.
    Interesting dude, would you say alcohol is very attractive to youngsters where you live?

    Over here its just been part of our culture. My dad drank, so did my grandad. Every adult I've ever known has drank, its like eating or sleeping to us.

  14. #29
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,092
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Basically with legalisation you need to educate kids in schools about the risks associated with recreational drug use. Once people are armed with that information, it's their call.
    Whilst I would say this attitude is entirely appropriate in the majority of circumstances, I think here there is a distinct danger of "letting the inmates run the asylum". Even with the best education on these sorts of matters in the world, people can make errant decisions. For example, despite several major experiments and enquiries being undertaken into the safety of genetically modified organisms and turning up no evidence which suggests they are in any way harmful, something like 75+% of the EU population considers them to be dangerous (if polls are to be believed), as such, GM is pretty much prohibited and Europe loses hundreds of millions of dollars worth of trade every year.

    The problem in the UK in particular, in the drug context anyway, is that our Health Service is state provided, and is already working at near maximum capacity, and having to make considerable cuts. Potentially opening the floodgates for people to come storming in with X Y and Z drug related problems is a very bad idea, or so I would suggest. Unless of course drugs are taxed very highly to compensate for this, but then this in turn would allow a black market to thrive, moving everything back to square one.

  15. #30
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,092
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. What drugs are your talking about? I mean, I drank a ****load of energy drinks to get through my A level exams, but what exactly are you reffering to here?
    I'm not sure what the name of the drug is, but it's become used more and more frequently in the UK and the USA, and other countries I imagine. Basically the effect it has is increased stamina and increased concentration, so basically it lets you focus harder, for longer, and assimilate more information than someone who isn't taking it, comparatively speaking.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Viv Richards accused of taking drugs as a player!!!
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-08-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps
    By Johnners in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 05:30 AM
  3. Xavier Marshall - Drugs Scandal
    By gettingbetter in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 11:52 AM
  4. Legalising all drugs - your views?
    By simmy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM
  5. Why Athletest Take Performance Enhancment Drugs ?
    By Sanz in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-05-2005, 05:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •