Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial New Zealand Politics Thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    What were some of Winston's main policies heading into this election?
    His usual policy of promoting Winston Peters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I still can't believe the majority Jonathan ****ing Coleman got in my electorate. The guy blew smoke in someone's eyes when they asked him to stop smoking in a non-smoking area, then got punched in the face for it. Is he really the best ambassador we can come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    What were some of Winston's main policies heading into this election?

Do most NZ posters think he's an attention-seeking ****, or is he alright?
    He's a dick. The last person I wanted to see in parliament

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I didn't vote for Winston Peters but he kicked some serious ass in the debate amongst the minor parties. He had the most experience and the most charisma and made the best points. Probably got himself elected right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I didn't vote for Winston Peters but he kicked some serious ass in the debate amongst the minor parties. He had the most experience and the most charisma and made the best points. Probably got himself elected right there.
    Definitely.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    They're all a bunch of self-interested wastrels not fit to lace the boots of the Proletariat. And I'm really fed up of National supporters telling me that I either "didn't understand" their policies or I'm ill informed. I understand their policies a darn sight better than most National members and think that they're at best self-serving. You can take your John Key and ram him up your National voting jacksie. The day the Anarchist revolution comes cannot be too soon.

As an aside, I e-mailed the local candidates in my constituency during the election as a bit of a straw poll to find out who would deign to reply. It took a while, but I got a reply from the local Greenie.

And as for MMP, I'm all for proportionality but MMP gives far too much power to the lunatic fringe in its current form. I was for Supplementary Member which provides a lower factor of proportionality, but would be happy enough with an overhaul of MMP I guess.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    MMP is better than those other options by a fair way besides SM. And the only reason I liked SM was because it fixed the proportional "bring in your mates" issue with MMP. If they can fix the issues with MMP it'll be all good.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    MMP is better than those other options by a fair way besides SM. And the only reason I liked SM was because it fixed the proportional "bring in your mates" issue with MMP. If they can fix the issues with MMP it'll be all good.
    Yeah, this was pretty much my thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    They're all a bunch of self-interested wastrels not fit to lace the boots of the Proletariat. And I'm really fed up of National supporters telling me that I either "didn't understand" their policies or I'm ill informed. I understand their policies a darn sight better than most National members and think that they're at best self-serving. You can take your John Key and ram him up your National voting jacksie. The day the Anarchist revolution comes cannot be too soon.

As an aside, I e-mailed the local candidates in my constituency during the election as a bit of a straw poll to find out who would deign to reply. It took a while, but I got a reply from the local Greenie.

And as for MMP, I'm all for proportionality but MMP gives far too much power to the lunatic fringe in its current form. I was for Supplementary Member which provides a lower factor of proportionality, but would be happy enough with an overhaul of MMP I guess.
    This will be National's last term. They were very middle of the road in the first term. Now the cuts to the welfare state etc are coming out in their 2nd term. They will not last. John Key has been a very popular PM though I find myself even liking him and I don't vote National.

The only PM I didn't really like was Muldoon but then I think he polarized half the nation.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Pisses me off no end how everyone loves John Key totally independent of his policies. Seriously guys, this is the bloke running our country, think beyond charisma a little, eh? Too late now anyway.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Pisses me off no end how everyone loves John Key totally independent of his policies. Seriously guys, this is the bloke running our country, think beyond charisma a little, eh? Too late now anyway.
    I guess according to my cousin personality is everything. All of these mainstream parties govern the issues of the day according to pragmatism and weighing up the pros and cons of the situation - therefore his personality and his leadership characteristics are more important than his policy leanings (according to my cousin) because the majority of the decisions will be made on situational factors. Apart from the Muldoon government the country has not gone to the dogs no matter who has been in charge.
    I do think it would be a disaster if the greens ever got in. Or if Act or Winston took power. But Labour and National are pretty steady as she goes type governments. Which is why they get so many votes.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    The Greens would be ****ing great for some things tbh, and not necessarily their main policies either.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    The Greens would be ****ing great for some things tbh, and not necessarily their main policies either.
    Get off your high horse.

The Greens ran a far more professional, respectable, focused and coherent campaign than Labour did this year. Not ashamed to admit they poached my vote from Labour this time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    The Greens ran a far more professional, respectable, focused and coherent campaign than Labour did this year. Not ashamed to admit they poached my vote from Labour this time.
    Hippie!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information