Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you see letters?

still scratching around in the same old hole

Can you see letters?

Close your eyes and try and visualise your name in your mind. Can you see the letters? Can you form the word in your head?

I have just found out that virtually everyone can do this ie see words in letter form in their head. I can't. I dont know what it means but I am ****ing amazed that (mostly) everyone else can do this ****ing simple thing.

Anyway, I can't believe not seeing words in your mind is as rare as I have been told.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Lay off the pain killers, boi.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Close your eyes and try and visualise your name in your mind. Can you see the letters? Can you form the word in your head?

I have just found out that virtually everyone can do this ie see words in letter form in their head. I can't. I dont know what it means but I am ****ing amazed that (mostly) everyone else can do this ****ing simple thing.

Anyway, I can't believe not seeing words in your mind is as rare as I have been told.
    You know what this means right? You're a tool
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I can't. And when I dream it's not in images. I just assumed it was like that for everyone...
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    When I argue I see shapes.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    "Flavour you can see"

Says it all, really.

Sounds very odd, but a quick google around and it looks like a lot of people have been asking about it. Found this post from a bloke called Tim Sanderson:

Yes itís possible that someone canít visualize. I never realized anyone COULD do that (form a clear mental image) until I was in my late 20′s. Once you realize that pretty much everyone takes for granted something you canít do, you tend to obsess, and I did. As a result of subsequent conversations, Iíve concluded that the total inability is very rare and most people donít believe that anyone canít do this. As a consequence, Iíve never had much success at finding current research into it.

Here are the conclusions Iíve drawn from my subjective, non-scientific inquiries of 100+ people. While anecdotal, itís as much as Iíve discovered.

* < 15% of people can visualize full motion, change colors, substitute objects and rotate individual elements within their mental image.
    -For these people, the image appears head's up (hanging in space right in front of them)

* Most people can visualize in color, < 20% are BW only.

* This visualization occurs (relative to a 'point in the center of your brain') in the following locations and typically, the order presented represents the ability to form these images:
    - Heads up (in line of vision), eyes open, true vision unobstructed. [Greatest ability]
    - High right/left Ė eyes averted, no need to turn head.
    - High right/left Ė head 'cocked up' to side, eyes often closed.
    - Head down, eyes closed Ė heavy concentration [Least ability]

* Less than 2% Ė total inability.

* A surprising number of artists fall into the lower end of the scale of ability to form mental images.

*Graphic visualization doesn't necessarily correlate with spatial visualization (the ability to know which way a complex object needs to be oriented to fit through an opening, for example)

There you have it. Pretty much non-scientific and unproven (except to my own satisfaction). I'd love to see any real data or information on this. It has a huge effect on how one processes data, remembers things and generally lives day to day life.
    Found another person who's blogged about it, and that sounds very similar to Goughy's description. (Not anything particularly unique to be read there, ftr)

I also found a forum thread called "unable to visualize", with the OP:

A lot of magic spells dictate the user to visualize as part of the working. I've been trying for months now and I've come to the conclusion that "seeing" things isn't possible for me.
    What can I do to over come this or what can I substitute visualization with?
    That's when I noticed this was on a forum called "Occult Corpus", and I decided to leave it there.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    * < 15% of people can visualize full motion, change colors, substitute objects and rotate individual elements within their mental image.
    You mean most people can't do this?

I actually tried that and it's quite difficult for me to do all of that. Particularly the bit about "rotating individual elements" and "substitute objects" - I'd have to come up with a new mental image rather than do that.

I already know that people have a wide range on how complex a thing they can visualise from my course (Maths). It involves a lot of geometric diagrams and graphs to understand concepts. Some people can just picture these things in their mind fine, and since most of these things involve how said diagrams change with variables, can see how they're altered with differing parameters. I tend to struggle with this, so my notes are full of little drawings in the margins where I've drawn a few things rather than just relied on mental pictures.

This thread has made me doubt myself slightly. Can people actually force themselves to see things in front of their eyes, as if they were there, with their eyes closed?

I can picture whatever I like in my head, but I don't actually *see* anything in front of my eyes.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    This thread has made me doubt myself slightly. Can people actually force themselves to see things in front of their eyes, as if they were there, with their eyes closed?

I can picture whatever I like in my head, but I don't actually *see* anything in front of my eyes.
    Well when I picture things in my imagination, I definitely "see" what it is that I'm imagining.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Well when I picture things in my imagination, I definitely "see" what it is that I'm imagining.
    I can see it in my head. I can't see it as if I'm actually seeing it in front of my eyes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I can see it in my head. I can't see it as if I'm actually seeing it in front of my eyes though.
    I think my head's going to explode if I think about this any further. I'm far too tired to think about this coherently.

edit: if someone were to ask me where I'd left something I can definitely transport myself back into the room and see where I've left it mentally.
    Last edited by Furball; 01-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I can generally imagine whatever I want, and often do, because reality is usually drastically less exciting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information