Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you see letters?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

Found another person who's blogged about it, and that sounds very similar to Goughy's description. (Not anything particularly unique to be read there, ftr)
    When I started this thread I was primarily thinking about letter. Like how the little 'freaks' in spelling bees who view the word in their mind before spelling it but from the link:

"When I read a novel, I don't picture the characters or the places. I have an intellectual idea of the characteristics of the various people, but I don't have a picture in my mind of them."

I don't do that either. It would be a real surprise to find out that others did.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    When I started this thread I was primarily thinking about letter. Like how the little 'freaks' in spelling bees who view the word in their mind before spelling it but from the link:

"When I read a novel, I don't picture the characters or the places. I have an intellectual idea of the characteristics of the various people, but I don't have a picture in my mind of them."

I don't do that either. It would be a real surprise to find out that others did.
    I usually have a rough image, like a painting that is half complete, or like I can see someone behind a veil or something when I visualize characters from a novel, not often I think of a complete picture of them.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

I definitely do that.

edit: actually, what sledger said. I can't say for certain I have a complete picture of characters in a novel. The veil analogy is a good one.
    Last edited by Furball; 01-12-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I can see it in my head. I can't see it as if I'm actually seeing it in front of my eyes though.
    If you can see it in your head, isn't that the same as visualizing it with your eyes closed?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I definitely do that.

edit: actually, what sledger said. I can't say for certain I have a complete picture of characters in a novel. The veil analogy is a good one.
    I suppose I sometimes have a complete image, but this is usually only when I have seen a visual adaptation or something before reading the novel, and the image is impossible to shake off. But this is about the only time that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    If you can see it in your head, isn't that the same as visualizing it with your eyes closed?
    I don't know. That's why I asking. When my eyes are closed I can still see the darkness in front of my eyes, but I can picture any image I like in my head (I can do that with my eyes open too though). I also assumed the latter was visualising, but this thread made me doubt myself. It seems as if Goughy can't do any of that at all though.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

I understand what Crabb is saying and am the same. I can picture a scene in my imagination, but it's not represented as actual sight as if light spectra were coming into my eyes. Mentally picturing something is very different to actual ocular sight. At least for me it is.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

I certainly picture characters and settings. I remember being a kid going to see the first Harry Potter film, and being somewhat thrown by the fact that the actors looked different from how I'd pictured them to look from the books.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

When I'm reading, I generally picture the significant things - people, faces, places. It isn't as detailed as picturing the colour of the buttons on their clothing, or what everyday objects lie on the table in the corner. It's generally like a low-resolution movie playing in my head, with the dialogue, but without the music or the general background sounds. It's all strictly contained within my head though. I view the proceedings with the 'inner eye'. Like PEWS, I can't project them outside and view them with my actual eyes; which is well and good because if I could, I'd be hallucinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

99*
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I can't. And when I dream it's not in images. I just assumed it was like that for everyone...
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't know. That's why I asking. When my eyes are closed I can still see the darkness in front of my eyes, but I can picture any image I like in my head (I can do that with my eyes open too though). I also assumed the latter was visualising, but this thread made me doubt myself. It seems as if Goughy can't do any of that at all though.
    I know I can't. Whenever I "think" of anything I don't/can't visualise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

I find that I can visualise things when I just daydream quite well, but once I'm aware and consciously trying to visualise something, it just doesn't happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    I find that I can visualise things when I just daydream quite well, but once I'm aware and consciously trying to visualise something, it just doesn't happen at all.
    Yeah, I always find this as well.

cpr
    I find I have a very visual brain - reading a book is pretty much like a film to me - OK i dont hear every clatter or bang, but the story plays out in action in my mind. It does leave me dissapointed many a time when I see a TV/Film adaptation.

As for visualising objects, I tend to find that quite easy. Like most, I can't physically see it in my eyes, but in my brain I can move it, change its colour etc. As a strange aside, when my mind gets an object in it, it can be very difficult to shift it - For example when I'm dreaming, my mind will put a random object in a place it doesnt fit, and will constantly focus on that - even though my dreaming self knows its out of place, it can't manifest it back into what it should be.

Find I'm also a very vivid dreamer, and will tend to have one or more a night. I find it bizarre some people can't dream in colour, it seems alien to me. I also find my dreams invoke my physical senses too - Being hurt in a dream will make me feel pain to the same intensity (and still do feel my muscles ache after I wake up for a bit).

Despite my brain being in overdrive on the activity front - absolutely no creative outlets for it. I lack all artistic skill, be it music, drawing, writing....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

When I read a book I'm similar, it's a very visual story in my head and when I think about it, I picture myself in it as the character being focussed on, generally. I forget what happened in books, tv shows, video games and movies quite quickly though. I guess it makes replayability quite good. I don't have the time to re-read/watch/play though, there's so much more to do in life that I find it hard to spend time re-reading when I've got millions of other things I could read.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    When I read a book I'm similar, it's a very visual story in my head and when I think about it, I picture myself in it as the character being focussed on, generally. I forget what happened in books, tv shows, video games and movies quite quickly though. I guess it makes replayability quite good. I don't have the time to re-read/watch/play though, there's so much more to do in life that I find it hard to spend time re-reading when I've got millions of other things I could read.
    Especially scat novels
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information