Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Somnath Bharti came out and said yesterday that if he had been aware of the procedures, he might not have conducted a raid. Basically admitted his guilt. And he's the law minister FFS, how is he not aware of the process?

But

I agree with you Cevno about the media painting the AAP as some supervillains and yeah, that vishwas tape was irrelevant. Just unnecessary, undeserved bad press. Real clutching at straws by the media
    His full quote was that he wasn't aware of procedures that Police doesn't act despite repeated complaints by residents. Sort of sarcastic in a private lawyers conference or something.

Taken out of context. Anyway, he was quite clearly too overzealous and stupid but don't think his action was morally wrong frankly, and their is no proof so far of any crime being done which is the key. Certainly almost the whole incident is on 4 hour tapes and Police including women police was there from the start.

Blown up by Harish Salve who was NDA's Solicitor general and also is representing power companies against whom AAP govt. ordered a Audit.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    So can someone explain the rationale for having such a large bench on the supreme court in India? It seems like a crapshoot who you get - one month something could be illegal and next month if a different set of judges are on the bench, it could be legal again (e.g this reinstatement of the ban on homosexuality). It doesn't seem like a great system. Surely, one of the most important things you want in your court is consistency and stability.
    Once a 2 judge bench gives a judgement on a matter, then review petition goes to that bench only. A judge may have retired which can result in different split.

Then you can file a curative petition which again goes to the same bench, but can be referred to the Chief justice for a larger bench to be constituted in constitutional matters.

After that it is the end of the matter if these 2 avenues are rejected.

Govt. can ofcourse file a presidential reference asking to review or explain a deicision though to the SC.

I agree, the system needs to be streamlined a bit though that critical matters can straightaway go to the Const. bench.

Simon Champion!
    So poll after after poll shows great popularity ratings for AAP govt. so far and good re-electability ratings both in VS and LS but media continues to play it's own narrative.

Yesterday AajTak did a show with audience of some BSKS (BJP supporters) and showed public turning against AAP for some reason out of a selected crowd when their own poll showed 60% saying they'd vote for AAP again in Assembly repolls compared to the 28% that did last election.

Today some media houses seem irritated that AAP didn't fulfill Manifesto of 5 years in 10 days and out of the things they have done already they say their are 2 opinions etc..

Bloody hell.

Best part is now 2/3 people have joined AAP and became members after elections just to criticize it on TV.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Italian marines case may impact ties with India: EU - The Hindu

The president of the European Commission has said the issue of the Italian marines in India may have an “impact” on the European Union-India relations and “will be assessed carefully”.Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission, met Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta in Brussels Wednesday and discussed the case of the two Italian marines who are being held in India.
    “A point that Prime Minister Letta has raised with me and on which we have been in close contact with the Italian authorities is the issue of the Italian marines in India. The European Union (EU) continues to follow the situation very closely,” Barroso told a joint press conference with Letta afer the meeting.
    “Any decision on the case may have an impact on the overall European Union-India relations and will be assessed carefully. The European Union encourages India to find, as a matter of urgency, a mutually satisfactory solution to the longstanding case of the Italian marines arrested in February 2012, in accordance with international law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea,” he said.
    Barroso said “this issue has also a bearing on the global fight against piracy, to which the European Union is strongly committed”.
    He said “the European Union is opposed to the use of the death penalty in all cases and under any circumstances”. The European Commission is the executive body of the 28-member European Union.
    The two Italian marines — Salvatore Girone and Massimiliano Latorre — are facing trial for murder in India. The two were detained in February 2012 when they shot dead two Indian fishermen while guarding an Italian oil tanker off Kerala, mistaking the fishermen for pirates.
    The Italian prime minister had sought European states’ help to find a positive solution to the case.
    “We want the marines case to finish soon, as soon as possible,” Xinhua quoted Letta as saying following talks with President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy and Barroso.
    Italian government’s envoy Staffan De Mistura is set to head for New Delhi Thursday, while reports said a representative of the Italian government could meet the new Russian ambassador to Rome next week, asking him to intercede with Indian authorities in the case.
    Earlier, a 16-member Italian parliamentary delegation arrived in India on a two-day visit (Jan 27-28) to express support and solidarity with the two marines.
    “The death penalty would be an attack on Italy,” Fabrizio Cicchitto, a delegate member and chairman of the parliament’s lower house foreign affairs committee, said.
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I don't know the exact circumstances but how did Italian military personnel come to be in custody of India anyway? I'm surprised the Italians allowed them to be taken.

In any case, if true, I understand why India wishes to punish them but the death penalty seems harsh considering the circumstances - it sounds closer to manslaughter.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-01-2014 at 05:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Simon Champion!
    Death Penalty is only awarded in rarest of rare cases. This will almost certainly not qualify in that.

They murdered two Indian citizens on Indian territorial waters (Italy contests this) and were arrested by the coast guard.

They certainly won't get death penalty. It is extremely rare.and reserved for the most heinous of crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    They murdered two Indian citizens on Indian territorial waters (Italy contests this) and were arrested by the coast guard.

They certainly won't get death penalty. It is extremely rare.and reserved for the most heinous of crimes.
    I see. Seems if the state promises they won't seek death penalty, that would remove their main concern.

As for murder, I obviously don't know the details but it sounds like manslaughter since it seems like a tragic case of mistaken identity rather than willful killing. But of course I understand why India wants to prosecute...not really acceptable to shoot people in other countries' territorial waters...

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I see. Seems if the state promises they won't seek death penalty, that would remove their main concern.

As for murder, I obviously don't know the details but it sounds like manslaughter since it seems like a tragic case of mistaken identity rather than willful killing. But of course I understand why India wants to prosecute...not really acceptable to shoot people in other countries' territorial waters...
    It was more like use of lethal force without giving it proper thought and following the set protocol.

The fishing boat was close to the merchant vessel but never close enough to board it. The soldiers didnt fire warning shots, the vessel itself didnt try to move away (it is much faster than the slow fishing boat). They fired a barrage of shots at the boat killing the two people. Once they realised the shooting was a mistake, they filed false reports calling it successful anti piracy operation and stated that there was initial gunfire from the boat. This was proven to be false during investigations.

It was murder, not culpable homicide and should be charged as such. Of course a death penalty would be too harsh but the soldiers should do their time. I suspect that they will probably get away after some back door diplomatic dealing and let off in Italy without any punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    It was more like use of lethal force without giving it proper thought and following the set protocol.

The fishing boat was close to the merchant vessel but never close enough to board it. The soldiers didnt fire warning shots, the vessel itself didnt try to move away (it is much faster than the slow fishing boat). They fired a barrage of shots at the boat killing the two people. Once they realised the shooting was a mistake, they filed false reports calling it successful anti piracy operation and stated that there was initial gunfire from the boat. This was proven to be false during investigations.

It was murder, not culpable homicide and should be charged as such. Of course a death penalty would be too harsh but the soldiers should do their time. I suspect that they will probably get away after some back door diplomatic dealing and let off in Italy without any punishment
    Yea, that changes things. If that's all proven, they should do time.

Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Simon Champion!
    Yep, as i said there are several ways to raid even at that time if there is a will. Everybody is allowed to have a free reign at night time to sell and consume drugs or to solicit customers on road as prostitutes is not really a valid argument.

As far as testing is concerned, that might be grey area (but happens anyway as per police procedures) but blood test wasn't had. Damn knows why police took a Urine test when it wasn't gonna prove anything anyway.

And as the first comment says on that article -

Respected mam,

I completely understand the detailed provisions of law illustrated in course of your article. But i couldnt find any conclusion as to the illegality or the lack of it in the actions taken by Delhi’s law minister . Kindly comment on the matter as you have explained in the NDPS act search without warrant in extreme situation can be conducted and motor vehicles act allows for analyses as to whether occupants of a vehicle is DUI.

Can offenders get all charges dropped in Indian courts if the police didn't follow proper procedure? The judge usually just slaps the police on the wrist and punishes the one standing trial anyway. Isn't that how it usually goes? So are you guys even arguing for or against something besides idealistic values?

Simon Champion!
    3 Ugandan women from Khirki ext claim to have been forced into prostitution. DC South is getting their statement recorded under section 164.

Fir registered. They had approached delhi governmentbdirectly and not police.

Simon Champion!
    Times now is hilarious these days. They hate Aap almost as much as fox hates democrats in usa. Such vitriol.

Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread Information